Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control in my Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cruise control does a fine job of matching my speed to that of a slower car ahead as I catch up to him at the preset number of car lengths away; however, I really worry about approaching a road full of stopped cars at 65 mph. When this happened the other day I took over when I approached far to close at 65 and Cruise Control had not begun to slow. If Cruise waited until the preset car lengths to begin speed matching, stopping short of a collision would have been impossible. Do the cruise sensors read speed of the forward vehicle as well as distance away? They need to.

• Informative
Reactions: KZKZ
The TACC will not sense stopped vehicles.

For example, if you are following a car, and it changes lanes to reveal a stopped car ahead, your vehicle will not stop for the stationary one.

It will only stop for vehicles that it watches/tracks the stopping process.

Don't have my X yet so pardon ignorance. In above situation, would X have hit stopped cars? Or would it have come a stop? I realize the correct response is for the driver to stop the car but as curious about the collision avoidance or lack of. ( I get mine in a couple weeks)

Don't have my X yet so pardon ignorance. In above situation, would X have hit stopped cars? Or would it have come a stop? I realize the correct response is for the driver to stop the car but as curious about the collision avoidance or lack of. ( I get mine in a couple weeks)

Don't count on it not hitting the stopped cars in this scenario.

I put it that way because we've heard that in many cases the car is actually smart enough to catch the stopped cars.

However, identifying stopped cars is hard for any adaptive cruise system, and we have also had cases where Teslas failed to detect the stopped cars (and the manual explicitly warns you about this situation I believe.)

There was another thread in the Model S section where this scenario occurred. The Model S plowed into the back of stopped vehicle that was masked but the car that moved over to avoid it.

Mine catches stopped cars. Though I am always at the ready. If I feel it is not slowing early enough or at a rate that I would use, I intervene. Never forget that we cannot abdicate driving to the car. No mattwer how much we may want to. It's still just a machine using very new tech that needs many, many miles of proof before any of us will know how good it actually is. I would say millions of stringently tested miles, IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: m2s2
I have had the same suspicion initially that my S does not stop for stooped cars. But learnt over a period of time that indeed it does.

Earlier it used it be a bit late in reacting but after a few updates it is far better now and does a gradual stop for stopped cars. Still a bit aggressive and I would have preferred that it starts slowing down much earlier, but now that I know it's reaction time and its behavior behind stopped cars, I let the car do its thing although I am still watchful.

• Informative
Reactions: m2s2