Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control inappropriately slamming on brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, let's unpack.
0) First, I apologize if my suspicion was erroneous.
1) Now, was you on "cruise control", "autopilot", or "navigate on autopilot"?
2) Do you reaffirm the car has stopped as you stated in your first message?
3) Describe the road condition?
4) Describe deceleration . Try to reproduce it manualy and then report.
5) Have you had experience with TACC in non-Tesla vehicles? The phantom braking is not an exclusively Tesla problem, you know, right? Do you support the idea of all TACC-able cars to be not allowed on the roads?

Thank you for your response.
You must be an attorney and a crazy one at that. People don't buy a new cars and have these issues. The person who delivered the car wasn't with me 5 minutes. These are major problems that Tesla has that needs to be addressed. They should have a class that explains You could be rear ended and killed at a high rate of speed using the cruise control when your car panic slows from 65 to 40 in 2 seconds!!!

• Disagree
Reactions: derotam
You must be an attorney and a crazy one at that. People don't buy a new cars and have these issues. The person who delivered the car wasn't with me 5 minutes. These are major problems that Tesla has that needs to be addressed. They should have a class that explains You could be rear ended and killed at a high rate of speed using the cruise control when your car panic slows from 65 to 40 in 2 seconds!!!
Could you please address any of my questions? Thank you.

Also, the rate of speed is acceleration. Moving at a steady 150 mph is moving with a zero rate of speed. Hitting a curb at 5 mph is moving at a high rate of speed. I have not heard of many people being killed by hitting the curb at 5 mph.

If your answer to question #4 is 65 to 40 mph in 2s, that is 12.5 mph/s deceleration. This is 5.58 m/s^2 or about .57g. This is in excess of a typical driver maximum braking deceleration and not far from the maximum vehicle deceleration (M3 LR braking is 0.93 g at maximum).
Anyway, what happened after the car slowed down to 40 mph?
Also note, that no modern car accidents at 25 mph speed difference end up with fatalities to the best of my understanding.

Last edited:
Ha. Driving in Chicago... enough said. 😵‍💫 Assuming (based on your post) you didn't purchased the FSD and can't use Navigate on AP, the AP works rather flawlessly for me, especially on highways, except for phantom braking that happen once in a couple weeks now or so (and I can predict it nearly in all cases). If you feel uncomfortable, you always can stop sharing the car data.
Amen!!! Good call. Thank you.

Just got the car so I usually don't go online to find out what the defects are before I go ahead and start driving it.

While @alexgr 's post was a bit on the attacking side, it doesn't mean he wasn't on to something. Why didn't you go online before buying the car to look for "defects" or problems? Every car has complaints for something.

I am real and was scared out of my mind. Your a fool if you think this is a non issue. Car should not be allowed on the road in cruise control mode. Tesla, fix your problem before someone dies in a serious rear end crash!

Now now, please no name calling cause it can go both ways... Tesla has been putting out Model S's for 9 years and Model 3's for 4 years. These issues you are seeing are not new, have been well documented and discussed, and yet they are still happening though to a lower extent, and there is still no mass panic among the population concerning it. If there has been serious rear end crashes due to phantom braking, don't you think there would be massive news coverage about it? The news loves to bash Tesla about everything.

Knowing that there is a phantom breaking problem doesn’t excuse it. Someone telling you they are stabbing you as they do it doesn’t really improve the situation. I’ve had my M3LR 3 years now and most of the driving automation either in the city (Chicago) or on the highway is just so stupid-bad that I just no longer even use it.

If I have to watch over my car the same way you’d watch over a toddler in a china shop, the answer is pretty much the same: don’t do it—don’t take your toddler into a china shop; don’t use the Tesla driving automation.

The best part is that WE PAY for the privilege to beta test their software, contribute data to the models, help them bugtest their code—at our own personal risk (and I’m not including and making excuses for those yahoos that turn on autopilot while sleeping/sitting in the passenger seat/etc.) And we’re paying full price to do it! It’s not like we’re getting some kinda deal—TACC is going to cost the same regardless (I know FSD is going to increase).

I find this ‘imminent release of FSD’ highly dubious given how the software currently performs on anything less than absolutely perfect conditions—and if that’s their requirements to use it, that’s false advertising and they need to offer a refund to anyone that wants it.

No knowing about the issue doesn't excuse it, but it makes it known, well known in fact, but again if it was such a serious problem, there would be a lot more news coverage about it...And getting rid of the radar should help to reduce the phantom braking issue in a lot of scenarios. Concerning "stupid-bad" actions, it's all relative. If you do a navigate on autopilot on a completely empty highway, it will work pretty darn good, but as you add more and more random drivers, all with different driving styles and "stupid-bad" behavior themselves, then the Tesla is fighting against randomly occurring "stupid-bad" driving my the humans on the road. As more and more automated driving vehicles(all manufacturers) get on the roads, do you think it is going to get better or worse? I say it is going to get worse, but at some point it will get better as the percentage of automated driving reaches a critical point for the volume of traffic.

There should be a class, you want to go there...these forums have been discussing these issues for many many years. I know you probably just made the numbers up but 65-40 in 2 seconds is not really bad and someone following at an appropriate distance would have plenty of time to react to that. Even if they were a bit close, if they are paying attention they should have time to react. Also if YOU were paying attention YOU should have been able to react faster than that to press on the accelerator to stop the deceleration.(I know you are going to fight this point like all the others have in the past). Ohh and 65-40 in 2 seconds would result in -.57G's of deceleration.

@alexgr While your initial post that I and others complained about was a bit mean, clearly we are dealing with the same kinds of complaints that are meant only to complain and by people who don't really want to learn anything. And for the record, I didn't have any doubt of that since the beginning, I just start in to people a little slower...let them really stick their foot in their mouth first, haha.

These are major problems that Tesla has that needs to be addressed.

They really aren't.

Other brands have far more significant braking issues with "smart" cruise systems, but they're still pretty rare.

There's gonna be near 2 million Teslas on the road by the end of the year- can you cite the "major" numbers of crashes caused by the issue you claim is super dangerous? (spoiler- you can't, because that isn't happening)

They should have a class that explains You could be rear ended and killed at a high rate of speed using the cruise control when your car panic slows from 65 to 40 in 2 seconds!!!

Did you actually measure this or are you just guessing from the "feel"? Because the couple times anyone has bothered to actually measure deceleration from phantom braking it was way less than that- it just "feels" strong because you don't expect it.

Reactions: alexgr
Almost as bad as phantom braking is the behavior of the follow cruise control which is too slow to react to the car accelerating in front of you and then too quick to come up it's ass when it's decreasing its deceleration rate. This has been a recent occurrence following a recent update. My guess is the new vision system has its limitations.

Almost as bad as phantom braking is the behavior of the follow cruise control which is too slow to react to the car accelerating in front of you and then too quick to come up it's ass when it's decreasing its deceleration rate. This has been a recent occurrence following a recent update. My guess is the new vision system has its limitations.
It feels the system is tuned to be overly conservative in acceleration and overly proactive in deceleration. I guess multiplying AP accidents is the last thing Tesla wants to see.

Last edited:
Almost as bad as phantom braking is the behavior of the follow cruise control which is too slow to react to the car accelerating in front of you and then too quick to come up it's ass when it's decreasing its deceleration rate.
I have learned that this can be greatly reduced by switching to Chill mode. I always go to that in stop-and=go traffic (then back to normal once traffic opens up).

This has been a recent occurrence following a recent update.
My car has been doing this since I got it over 2 years ago.

• Informative
They really aren't.

Other brands have far more significant braking issues with "smart" cruise systems, but they're still pretty rare.

I have had multiple "phantom braking" instances in my M3P and I have only owned it for 2 weeks / ~350 miles.

I have never had an issue with it in any prior vehicle I have owned. Most recently a 2021 Toyota GR Supra and a 2019 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD.

Hell, I would argue the Stinger's smart cruise control w/ stop & go and lane keep was in many ways just as good basic Autopilot (not as good at lane centering...I got more side to side bobbing, but better at things like not unexpectedly braking).

From a cruise perspective the Supra was also better as no phantom braking, but it did have horrible lane keep (I turned it off as it would get confused at off ramps and would forcibly try to keep you on the existing lane at times).

If feel the system is tuned to be overly conservative in acceleration and overly proactive in deceleration. I guess multiplying AP accidents is the last thing Tesla wants to see.
Hmmm. Maybe. At one point going downhill on a highway going around 75 I could see brake lights 5 cars ahead. I knew it was gonna slow down. The M3 on AP was speeding up to catch up after creating a 5 or so car gap. I knew this wasn’t gonna go well. When AP started braking it was late and anti lock brakes were skidding to slow down. This isn’t safe behavior. I have adjusted my use of AP based on its behavior and it’s use is going down.

I have had multiple "phantom braking" instances in my M3P and I have only owned it for 2 weeks / ~350 miles.

I have never had an issue with it in any prior vehicle I have owned. Most recently a 2021 Toyota GR Supra and a 2019 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD.

Sounds like you switch cars really often, so maybe not a lot of data to compare.

But yes, worse in other cars.

For example-

Or

Hell, I would argue the Stinger's smart cruise control w/ stop & go and lane keep was in many ways just as good basic Autopilot (not as good at lane centering...I got more side to side bobbing, but better at things like not unexpectedly braking).

From a cruise perspective the Supra was also better as no phantom braking, but it did have horrible lane keep (I turned it off as it would get confused at off ramps and would forcibly try to keep you on the existing lane at times).

FWIW I've used Kias system (in a 2020 soul a relative owns that I've driven a number of times) and it was horribly bad at lane keeping- and even worse would often stop doing steering without telling you- unless you happened to look down and notice the green lines gone the only way you found out was when it began to drift out of its lane. Similar experience in a Kia rental I had in Atlanta last year.

Hmmm. Maybe. At one point going downhill on a highway going around 75 I could see brake lights 5 cars ahead. I knew it was gonna slow down. The M3 on AP was speeding up to catch up after creating a 5 or so car gap. I knew this wasn’t gonna go well. When AP started braking it was late and anti lock brakes were skidding to slow down. This isn’t safe behavior. I have adjusted my use of AP based on its behavior and it’s use is going down.
Yes, I agree. The AP sucks at predicting far-distance slow-downs on highways when speed gradient is over 50 mph on half a mile or less. I think that Tesla simply assumes that traffic on highways never stops once it gets to 65-75mph. I always slow down the AP when I see a potential slow down ahead. It will improve (Edit: hopefully) with the FSD when it starts using the recognition of turn and stop signals of the cars around.

But yes, worse in other cars.

For example-

Or

Note that it is NOT the AEB that is responsible for phantom braking in Teslas. The AEB is really cruel and dangerous last-resort braking. If anyone expereinces that in their Tesla, please know that is NOT what is typically called the phantom braking (which is more of a slow down for ghosts with no intention to stop) and is most likely a serious issue needed to be addressed at SC asap.

And they've been "writing that code" for the 6 years I've been driving my car #elondoesntcare #hesgotyourmoney

No, they haven't.

It's been less than 5 since they even introduced the original version of the current system and many features have been added or changed since then.

If your car is 6 years old it's AP1 and hasn't been in active development for many years.

Sounds like you switch cars really often, so maybe not a lot of data to compare.
That is a weird twist of logic. What more data is needed then extensively using smart cruise systems? I would argue that exposure to multiple vehicles, for which none of them had this issue (anecdotally speaking), would provide a better point of reference.

I'll add the adaptive cruise on my prior Giulia as well. That car had many issues, but this was not one of them.

That is a weird twist of logic. What more data is needed then extensively using smart cruise systems?

If you're switching cars so often you've had at least 3 or 4 since 2019 that's not really "extensive" testing.

I've got tens of thousands of miles and 3 years on my Model 3. I can count on 1 hand, with fingers left over, the number of actual phantom braking incidents.

And 0 of them have been so severe as to be dangerous- just unexpected.

Likewise, as mentioned Tesla is nearing 2 million cars on roads- and there's been no evidence presented of any significant # of accidents caused by what is being suggested as a MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE.

If it was one, there'd be evidence of it besides anecdotes.

Yes, I agree. The AP sucks at predicting far-distance slow-downs on highways when speed gradient is over 50 mph on half a mile or less. I think that Tesla simply assumes that traffic on highways never stops once it gets to 65-75mph. I always slow down the AP when I see a potential slow down ahead. It will improve (Edit: hopefully) with the FSD when it starts using the recognition of turn and stop signals of the cars around.
I want to point out, however, that it didn't used to do that. It didn't use to create such gaps when cars in front would accelerate away and it would start slowing down earlier when approaching decelerating cars. Something in the last update or two changed behavior into what I think is less safe

I want to point out, however, that it didn't used to do that. It didn't use to create such gaps when cars in front would accelerate away and it would start slowing down earlier when approaching decelerating cars. Something in the last update or two changed behavior into what I think is less safe
Agree, I think I noticed that too.

Hi, first post here.

I'm having significant issues with the adaptive cruise control. There is a 2 lane road near me with a 50 limit, and I like to set the cruise to stop me speeding. However, on a couple off occasions the cruise control has hammered on the brakes when a truck has been coming the other way - despite being safely and completely in its own lane.

I have had the same thing on motorways; overtake something, then pull back into the middle lane with a lorry in the inside lane. The cruise control seems to think that I am going to drive into the lorry and, again, hammers on the brakes.

It is lucky that I haven't had anyone smash into the back of me. I've had to stop using cruise on 2 lane roads and hover my foot over the accelerator when anywhere near a lorry on the motorway in case it decides to randomly fire me through the windshield.

Am I alone in this?
I’m having the same issue, my 2018 S has hard braked on 3 occasions, at night, on the 3 lane route 75 while in the middle lane with vehicles on the left and right, none in front traveling at 77 on cruise.