Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control Slows Down on Curves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While using cruise control, driving on a 60mph highway, the road curves here and there, the car slows below the speed limit to go through many of the curves. The curves are not much, and there is no suggested slower speed limit around the curves, and the car, as I would or do, go through the curve without the need to slow down. It will sometimes slow enough for the brake lights to come on, and reduce speed by 10mph or so, then adjust back leaving the curve.

Is there a way (setting) to have it not do this? I got tired of it slowing down, as did cars following me, so I had my foot take over to accelerate when it wanted to slow down.

I've picked quite a few issues with TACC. This one IME is quite well calibrated , meaning it only slows when the driver (or, more meaningfully, the general traffic) would naturally slow for the same curve. Basically tighter ones.

YMMV.

No settings to tweak available for this behavior

Thanks all for the replies! Nice to know it just isn't me and my m3. Unfortunate, there isn't a setting somewhere to disable that slow down. For that road, i guess I will not use the cruise. I would prefer not getting rear ended, or giving someone road rage (or me). Thanks all!

Anytime when TACC is engaged and the car slows down whenever TACC sees some sort of obstruction in front of you and if it's safe to do, just press the accelerator pedal until there's no more obstruction in front of you, then let go the accelerator pedal and TACC will resume to where it was left off before the original slowdown. It's a safety festure and I like TACC a lot. Pressing the accelerator pedal will NOT disable TACC.

Peter

Last edited:
There is a particular on-ramp with a fairly sharp curve where it slows as it should, but then won't speed up fast enough after the curve. It'l linger around 32-40 mph when the indicated speed is 55. I usually have to give it gas to get it up to speed. I'm not sure what it sees at that point as the road is usually straight and clear till the merge.

Frustrating at times- yes- but better than barrelling around a corner too fast with possible seriously ugly implications.
Just hover your right foot over the accelerator pedal and add power as required - too easy!

In any event, a speed around a corner which seems dangerous to some will seem slow to others. I dare say I take corners slower now than when I was 17. My wife would leave me if I drove now how I drove then.

Next to phantom braking and cross traffic (at distance) panic braking this is the most annoying thing. It got much more pronounced a couple of versions ago and Ive been hoping Elon would drive his Tesla through this area and check it out. It slows down for some curves WAY too early and WAY too much. Like, a curve near me where it has a posted suggested speed of 30, it slows to 23! At 23 you can't even tell you're in a curve. Even at 30 it's too slow for even my gramma. I hope they get on to this soon cause it really bugs me.

Anytime when TACC is engaged and the car slows down whenever TACC sees some sort of obstruction in front of you and if it's safe to do, just press the accelerator pedal until there's no more obstruction in front of you, then let go the accelerator pedal and TACC will resume to where it was left off before the original slowdown. It's a safety festure and I like TACC a lot. Pressing the accelerator pedal will NOT disable TACC.

Peter

I do the same (especially increasing speed in corners) and believe we’re helping Tesla improve their software by providing this extra info.

Peter
Close, but not completely correct. Using the accelerator pedal disables curve speed reduction for 30 seconds to 30 minutes, depending on how hard you pressed the pedal. Usually it's fine, but on winding back roads with 55mph speed limit and hairpin curves the car will attempt to take a hairpin curve at 55mph if you press the accelerator pedal. This happens in both TACC and AP mode.

While using cruise control, driving on a 60mph highway, the road curves here and there, the car slows below the speed limit to go through many of the curves. The curves are not much, and there is no suggested slower speed limit around the curves, and the car, as I would or do, go through the curve without the need to slow down. It will sometimes slow enough for the brake lights to come on, and reduce speed by 10mph or so, then adjust back leaving the curve.

Is there a way (setting) to have it not do this? I got tired of it slowing down, as did cars following me, so I had my foot take over to accelerate when it wanted to slow down.
I noted this on curvy country roads where I tend to go faster than my wife is comfortable with. She prefers the AP way of talking those curves. I haven't noticed a slowing effect on freeways.

It's funny because when I first got my Tesla, the autopilot was a full savage, never slowed for corners and would accelerate and brake decently hard. Now it accelerates like a prius with a granny driving and corners even worse. It's gotten so bad I can't even use it without pissing off every driver behind me, and myself. And I live in a town where everyone drives like a grandma (often 10 UNDER the speed limit on a day with good visibility), so that is a feat. I understand why, but boy is it frustrating to use.

Reactions: ra88it
I too, have experienced slowing for curves to be too "aggressive." I'm basing this comment on firmware 2020.24.6.4.

Safety and all, I would expect the car to go no slower than the yellow "recommended" speed limit signs, and it has a few times recently. Perhaps in the future we can get a setting like the "Mad Max" passing feature?

Having said all that, I was letting my bro-n-law drive and we were on a 45 MPH straight road. We soon encountered a posted recommended speed of 35 MPH, for an up coming S-curve. The car did not slow down and came out of the S-curve with tires just over the double yellow line. I believe this occurred while driving on 2020.16.2.1.

This must be very challenging to right, for the developers. Like Futuresystem said above, "In any event, a speed around a corner which seems dangerous to some will seem slow to others."

Reactions: AdamMacDon
It is almost dangerous because someone can read end you.
I always laugh at these "someone can rear-end you" comments. It's as if people never brake and Teslas are causing some new phenomenon of excessive rear-end collisions.

For that road, i guess I will not use the cruise. I would prefer not getting rear ended, or giving someone road rage (or me).
It's already been said a couple of times, but you can also just push on the accelerator to momentarily over-ride the slow down. Yeah, I wish I wouldn't have to do it, but I would rather my car err on the side of caution. Remember that AP is not a chauffeur, it is a driver assist.

I usually have to give it gas to get it up to speed.
What kind of gas do you use in your electric car? ;)

• Funny
Reactions: ra88it