Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curious if anyone knows why Unplugged Performance has changed design of rear coil over springs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unplugged Performance, like many other vendors, updates, attempts to improve their equipment they provide.

I noted that they have changed the design of their rear coil over spring assembly. It looks significantly different than the previous design, and i believe different than other Model 3 coil over manufacturers.

Anyone from UPP or someone that has spoken to them know why they changed it, and what the intent of the changes were targeting? More progressive, great adjustability, decreased NVH?

First picture is new rear spring set up. Second is older design.

Thanks.

1627058129496.jpeg
1627058186623.jpeg

John

When I changed my springs to MPP which is similar the to the previous generation of UP springs, I certainly didn't see any need for help to keep the spring in place during installation.
Yeah me neither, but that’s the only possibility I can think of, since helper springs typically get compressed all the way under load. Maybe they shortened the actual spring too?

I‘m almost certain it has nothing to do with holding the stuff in place during assembly. I’ve removed and reinstalled my springs in back a number of times with the older design. No issues whatsoever requiring something to hold it together.

Looks like the blue springs are similar, but who knows what the springs rates are compared to each other. Dual springs like this often are done to provide a progressive spring rate, but I’m not suspension engineer.

I do know that their current design has a tendency to “cock” or tilt the spring sideways in relation to the upper spring seat if the lower perch is raised up very high. Note how the new spring design has a bit of “tilt” to it within the spring assembly? This is what I’m referring to; except that “tilt” on the old design appeared to put uneven pressure on the spring perch due to the tilt. Now the spring is taking up that uneven force, not the solid perch

This probably is not a good thing and they may have designed this to stop side loading the spring in relation to the travel of the lower arm, etc. But I’m speculating.

How recently are you talking? Mine were installed a couple weeks ago (though I did purchase them earlier and had them sitting there a while waiting for installation) and mine look like this: @UnpluggedP

View attachment 687400
Mine looks just like yours but I opted for the lower spring arm so that I can corner balance easier later. The car feels a lot tighter now in the rear.
A384C9B5-891A-46F6-A1FB-28A37550ECD1.jpeg
55442C63-D190-4B58-A48F-D211D53DE58A.jpeg

Reactions: Gimmethecash
That sure is a weird way to use a helper spring. I don't think I've ever seen them installed independent of a true coilover.

Helper springs are also notoriously noisy, so I wouldn't guess this is actually better. OP where did you find this picture; or is this on your own car?