Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curious - which malfunctions does Tesla actually fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a rant so unless you want pure entertainment you probably should just skip it.

I've taken my X to the SC's more times than I can count in the past year. What I've learned is NOTHING is an actual defect and when they do fix something it's them doing me a favor.

As an example, I took mine in today to address multiple issues that have piled on for the past few months and at the same time going to go for the infotainment upgrade which I hope fixes them all anyway. Amusingly here is the list of issues that was presented and the literal feedback I got from them:

1. Problem: Every time I get into the car it takes about 40 secs for the dash to boot up and until I can put it in drive.
SC Response: "that's normal. Sorry, we can't fix normal behavior"
2. Problem: Car no longer senses stop signs and street lights even though the toggle for the feature is enabled.
SC Response: "oh that's just a bonus. We dont recommend you actually use it and therefore can't fix something we dont' recommend you use".
3. Problem: Center screen often goes black and one time I tried to get it to turn back on by touching it and the door opened while I was in drive
SC Response: "oh do you have the exact date and time that happened because if you didn't we don't have proof it ever happened.
Additional Response: "Since your screen isn't black at this exact moment, it's not an actual problem".
4. Problem: I need an alignment
SC Response: "Yes, that'll be $200 no problem".

ROFLMAO

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
you want a service write up?

Bought brand new X summer 2019. 11 miles on it I think. Maybe less.

Looked it over, bought it. Went to drive home. Steering Wheel was slightly off center.
Drove it back, after putting less than 20 miles on it. On highway, next exit, came back.

Location was busy for the summer push, said can I come back. I said sure.
(I was used to Tesla service being better than complete crap from my experiences in 2014-2018).

I setup, via the stress inducing app, an appointment as soon as I could. Vehicle drove strait, so I didn't think tire-wear would be an issue.
I get an invoice for (I think) $400 or so. I immediately went off on them via text. (Because they don't have phones you can't just resolve issues in 5 min, it takes days of passive aggressive texts, so what could have been an easy resolution turns into blood boiling profanity laced messages.

Well, after multiple your mother insults and them telling me it wasn't under warranty. I said I'd be returning the car as I was well within the 7 day window. Suddenly, after 15 seconds of review (car was < 3 days old with < 100 miles) the geniuses said they'd cover it. Well, no $hit, you didn't make it right to start with.

that. That's the genuine Tesla service experience. Every. Single. Time. I don't start angry that something isn't right. But between the app, the texting, the lack of loaners, I go to 11 every time. Dealing with ANY other place is superior.

The icing on the cake?

They never got it right, even after 4 tries.

I drove home, knowing I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but I regularly work on machines, cars, replaced 2 boat engines my self last winter, etc.

I shortened the link on one side by 2 flats, lengthened other side by 2 flats. (I don't recall which way it was off)

Wheel has been strait ever since. Tire wear is well within spec for performance vehicle.

you want a service write up?

Bought brand new X summer 2019. 11 miles on it I think. Maybe less.

Looked it over, bought it. Went to drive home. Steering Wheel was slightly off center.
Drove it back, after putting less than 20 miles on it. On highway, next exit, came back.

Location was busy for the summer push, said can I come back. I said sure.
(I was used to Tesla service being better than complete crap from my experiences in 2014-2018).

I setup, via the stress inducing app, an appointment as soon as I could. Vehicle drove strait, so I didn't think tire-wear would be an issue.
I get an invoice for (I think) $400 or so. I immediately went off on them via text. (Because they don't have phones you can't just resolve issues in 5 min, it takes days of passive aggressive texts, so what could have been an easy resolution turns into blood boiling profanity laced messages.

Well, after multiple your mother insults and them telling me it wasn't under warranty. I said I'd be returning the car as I was well within the 7 day window. Suddenly, after 15 seconds of review (car was < 3 days old with < 100 miles) the geniuses said they'd cover it. Well, no $hit, you didn't make it right to start with.

that. That's the genuine Tesla service experience. Every. Single. Time. I don't start angry that something isn't right. But between the app, the texting, the lack of loaners, I go to 11 every time. Dealing with ANY other place is superior.

The icing on the cake?

They never got it right, even after 4 tries.

I drove home, knowing I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but I regularly work on machines, cars, replaced 2 boat engines my self last winter, etc.

I shortened the link on one side by 2 flats, lengthened other side by 2 flats. (I don't recall which way it was off)

Wheel has been strait ever since. Tire wear is well within spec for performance vehicle.

holy smokes sorry to hear that. Makes my experiences pale in comparison but you nailed it on the head - every correspondence with sc are passive aggressive and smug making it blood boiling. That alone has made me drop off the kool aid bandwagon. As soon as there’s an alternative vehicle with charging network I’ll never buy another Tesla anything. Their solar experience has been comparable.

Just adding a couple more quips from previous visits:

- problem: fsd seal is gummy to the point they disintegrate leaving rubbery slime all over my car when it’s getting washed
SC response: it’s not a defect because it’s not functional there for looks only.

- problem: I just took delivery of the vehicle and the mobile charger doesn’t work
SC response: you should’ve checked that when you accepted delivery
My astonished reply: how the f would undo that you barely even gave me the key until I accepted delivery
Sc response: sorry it’s policy we will sell you another one

- problem: front is making a lot of grinding and squeaking when turning wheel at low speeds
Sc response: sorry that’s normal and even if it wasn’t we don’t cover noise under warranty

- problem: rear bumper sensor epoxy failed
Sc response: sorry we don’t cover abuse.
My response: abuse? Wtf? This is a known issue I can document to due to poor epoxy holding up sensor
Sc response: we will fix it this one time as a “courtesy”

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
Yep. they will continue this crap until we stop buying them. Ever since 2019, whenever anyone asks, I tell them to steer clear. Go buy anything else.

Before that, I'd talk about them non-stop to everyone. Only reason I have a X now is I had one as a loaner back in 2018.

Reactions: njhtran
Took my X in due to a creak I was hearing in my front A pillar. They made an appointment, sent me a text when it was being serviced and another when it was ready for pick up. They addressed a couple other issues (that I was un-aware of). Believe they adjusted or lubed something as the car is now totally silent. Not sure how they could have done it any better.

Had not taken it in for service earlier because the creek was a minor issue and the Service Center was 1 hour away. Now they have opened up a new facility 15 minutes away and I am appreciative that they are working hard to open up lots more service centers.

Many people are frustrated because they have little control of how their car is serviced. They want to know all the details and be able to infuence the servicing. Have trouble letting Tesla service people handle the issues without influence from the customer.

BMW just opened a net facility near there as well. It boasted they have 41 service bays. Seems like BMW owers have lots more service issues than Tesla. Most of the people I know would never own a BMW after the warranty runs out.

• Disagree
Reactions: njhtran
@njhtran I feel your pain. Tesla really needs to step up and start taking care of the service and warranty issues. I too have encountered these same responses from SC.

-front fore arm suspension cracked 2 weeks after taking delivery. To add insult to injury, Tesla made me pay up front for the tow service to SC. I had to fight to get a tow refund.

-The battery on my P90D has dropped to 185mi @ 90% / 210mi @100%.. SC response: “your battery is on the lower end of the spectrum BUT we do not cover battery degeneration under the warranty”

-Sticky residue from falcon wing hitting the roof spine. SC response: its just cosmetic, you will have to pay for the whole window to be replaced because the rubber seal is connected directly to the window.

-Went to SC for MCU1 issues (before the recall). Very slow startup, touchscreen unresponsive, etc… The scariest was when MCU froze, no audio warning when AP was disengaged while doing 75mph in HOV. SC said they could not find any records and I need to time stamp for next SC visit. I scheduled my next appointment even before leaving SC because I encounter MCU failure daily. Fast forward to the day before my next SC appointment… I get a message on my phone app “CS has canceled your appointment because of the MCU recall, the parts won’t be available until another 6 months and we will notify you when the parts arrive”

I foresee more and more Tesla owners starting to see issues with their “mass produced to make production goal” vehicles in the years to come. If Tesla doesn’t start taking care of their customers the right way, more and more will start jumping ship very fast when alternatives becoming available.

On a side note: I’m not trying to bash Tesla, don’t get me wrong, I love what they’ve done with the auto industry and have believed in them from the beginning…my TSLA is up over 10,000%.

Took my X in due to a creak I was hearing in my front A pillar. They made an appointment, sent me a text when it was being serviced and another when it was ready for pick up. They addressed a couple other issues (that I was un-aware of). Believe they adjusted or lubed something as the car is now totally silent. Not sure how they could have done it any better.

Had not taken it in for service earlier because the creek was a minor issue and the Service Center was 1 hour away. Now they have opened up a new facility 15 minutes away and I am appreciative that they are working hard to open up lots more service centers.

Many people are frustrated because they have little control of how their car is serviced. They want to know all the details and be able to infuence the servicing. Have trouble letting Tesla service people handle the issues without influence from the customer.

BMW just opened a net facility near there as well. It boasted they have 41 service bays. Seems like BMW owers have lots more service issues than Tesla. Most of the people I know would never own a BMW after the warranty runs out.
A couple of things different at BMW (or other) dealers. If they do a warranty repair they charge the BMW company for that repair. Second, the repair department is the highest source of profit at a dealer.

Also, with many turboed BMWs needing a Turbocharger and wastegate ($6,000+) at around 75,000 miles. It is easy to see why many BMW owners will not own one with a warranty, or pay the $3-4K for the extended warranty.

3/4 of your issues are hitting the one defect they have universally not handled well, MCU1 issues. My local SC has been outstanding though. They fixed the acceleration shudder issue on first request, corrected the yellow border touchscreen, replaced a front door sensor, and replaced one of those plastic cargo load floor fins that I cracked. All under warranty, no cost, no pushback. HOWEVER, the MCU1 issues I've been reporting to service have been dismissed. It sounds like there was a general directive to "do nothing" until the eMMC 100% fails and you can not recover the MCU1 at all. Any partial failures or having to reboot the MCU frequently is not enough to get them to take action. I think their strategy actually paid off because I'm scheduled for the Infotainment upgrade next week and I don't feel like waiting for the recall process to fix the eMMC for free and still have a slow unresponsive MCU1.

Reactions: jboy210