Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current cost to upgrade from EAP to FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my app, it's $5000. But I find that crazy. The only thing currently offered that I don't already have is the traffic light and stop sign control. That's not worth $5K. I know I'd get a new computer, but why not just wait until the next computer upgrade? I have no plans to ever rent my car, and Nashville traffic is too insane for Autopilot in city traffic, so I'll keep my money.

On my app, it's $5000. But I find that crazy. The only thing currently offered that I don't already have is the traffic light and stop sign control. That's not worth $5K. I know I'd get a new computer, but why not just wait until the next computer upgrade? I have no plans to ever rent my car, and Nashville traffic is too insane for Autopilot in city traffic, so I'll keep my money.

They will probably continue to raise the price as new features are added. So if you plan on keeping the car and you want the future features it could be worth it.

Reactions: outdoors
They will probably continue to raise the price as new features are added. So if you plan on keeping the car and you want the future features it could be worth it.

This.

It was a $3000 upgrade originally. Those who kept waiting saw it go up to $4000. They kept waiting. Now it's $5000.

Probably when they release the next feature (either reverse summon or handling intersections it'll go up to $6000.

As to the computer- if the car needs a newer-than-HW3 computer to deliver FSD, you'll get it free no matter when you buy FSD.

If it doesn't, you won't. (and likely won't even if you wait as it appears the new one is a very different form factor from the easily-swappable HW3)

Also- currently Q4 2021 is the word on when the next driving computer will start mass production, so maybe Q1 2022 before it's widely in use. So now it's likely at least $7000 for the upgrade because it'll be entirely feature complete by then.

Waiting is expensive.

• Informative
Reactions: yerEVan and TX_M3P+
Just took delivery in July. My app is showing $10,600 cdn ~8000usd. SR+

If you took delivery in July of this year, you dont have "EAP" which was the question in this thread. EAP (enhanced autopilot) stopped being sold by tesla in April of 2019. EAP was a 5k purchase when it was available.

I say this so that you understand why you see these 3-4-5k upgrade prices and yours is 8k, because you are not coming from EAP, but "regular" Autopilot, abbreviated here as "AP"

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH and RNHurt
If you took delivery in July of this year, you dont have "EAP" which was the question in this thread. EAP (enhanced autopilot) stopped being sold by tesla in April of 2019. EAP was a 5k purchase when it was available.

I say this so that you understand why you see these 3-4-5k upgrade prices and yours is 8k, because you are not coming from EAP, but "regular" Autopilot, abbreviated here as "AP"
Right, I missed that. Makes sense and thanks for the correction.

Each time the price is going up, I am saving more money by not buying ! :)
That's a great strategy as long as plan on never buying it at all. Once the car can completely drive you anywhere you want to go with no user interaction and it costs $10k to add it, you will kick yourself for not making the purchase back when it was $3-4-5k. IMHO, this is the primary feature of owning a Tesla, full Level 5 autonomy. While it's not there now, it will get there soon, some say by the end of the year, but other still feel it's a few years out. I think regardless of how long it takes to get there, Tesla will be the first to achieve it.

Reactions: Fernand
I had EAP and glad I upgraded to FSD w/ the new 3.0 computer. Either you're "in" or not.
The street level AP keeps subtly improving above and beyond the traffic light visualization.

I don't count on "zero human intervention" in downtown traffic very soon, but that's OK. Its
main purpose, as far as I'm concerned, is to gradually take more of the load off the driver.

The incremental cost should be displayed for your car.

Last edited:
The upgrade in the Tesla app for me is $8,000 (USD). Now, since that is even listed there, I assume I have all the necessary hardware to support FSD.

That said, since it's basically like flipping a switch on the software if I do select the upgrade, I wonder if the upgrade stays with the car, or with the owner?? I think it should stay with the owner. In a few years if I decide on getting a newer 3, or the P, I should be able to transfer it to the new car, thereby removing it on the old car.

That would make it a win-win...I keep the feature I paid for, and Tesla forces the eventual new owner of the old car to buy it again if they so choose. That would make the most sense to me.

Reactions: RedModel3
That's a great strategy as long as plan on never buying it at all. Once the car can completely drive you anywhere you want to go with no user interaction and it costs $10k to add it, you will kick yourself for not making the purchase back when it was $3-4-5k. IMHO, this is the primary feature of owning a Tesla, full Level 5 autonomy. While it's not there now, it will get there soon, some say by the end of the year, but other still feel it's a few years out. I think regardless of how long it takes to get there, Tesla will be the first to achieve it.

I think L5 with current hardware is very very unlikely to ever happen.

It can't even keep NoA running in heavy rain, let alone snow, since there's nothing to clear any camera when obscured and other than forward there's basically no redundancy to the vision sensors.

But I do think something like L3 or L4 on the highway is entirely possible- which is why I bought FSD despite already having all the "existing" features at the time with EAP (I got it when it was still 3k too which helped).

The upgrade in the Tesla app for me is $8,000 (USD). Now, since that is even listed there, I assume I have all the necessary hardware to support FSD.

Tesla claimed every car they built since late 2016 had the hardware for full autonomy.

Turned out not to be true- and cars built between then and mid-2019 actually need (at minimum) a computer upgrade that the mid-19 and later cars come with from the factory.... (that upgrade is included if you buy FSD and need it).

Remains to be see if the sensors will be up to the job as mentioned above.

T
That said, since it's basically like flipping a switch on the software if I do select the upgrade, I wonder if the upgrade stays with the car, or with the owner?? I think it should stay with the owner.

Nope- goes with the car.

If you buy another Tesla you have to buy FSD again.

If you sell your Tesla, FSD stays with the car you sold. (the one except is if you sell it back to Tesla- if you do they can just remove it entirely, and then resell it to the next buyer)

I got upgraded from EAP to FSD for just $2k that weekend that Elon offered it up. At the time it seemed like it might never happen but I was willing to take the chance thinking that it would always get more expensive. Glad I did that now :) Mine is a 2018 Model 3 AWD LR and I have the FSD computer (version 3 or whatever) but I have not got the 2020.40.8.10 update yet, still on 2020.40.8 right now.

Reactions: bedoig