Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean I know $100 isn't all that much, but do we really think there's hordes of people just trolling the Tesla Model Y by placing bogus orders? I feel like it'd have to be a pretty collective effort for it to make a dent. Like 100 troll orders probably wouldn't change anything around EDD...

Quick edit: or do you mean people who might not care as much, place an order "just because" and forget about it/don't really care about it?

I think there are a lot of people who are huge Elon and/or Tesla fans and because of that, and the virtually zero barrier to entry to order a Tesla, will do so on impulse without really thinking "can I afford this?" or "can I get out of my current car lease?" or whatever. As an example, my wife just ordered a BMW X3M to be built to her specs. We didn't need to put any money down to do this, but did have to go to the dealer and sit with someone. That physical interaction is what separates the impulse buyer from the legit buyer. Without the need to actually talk to someone, the barrier for Tesla is (was) just $100. Via an app. From one's sofa. 24/7.

I'm not suggesting people are trolling Tesla with the orders, but rather placing them on a wish to own a Tesla over the ability to own a Tesla. I would not be at all surprised to learn that something like 60% of all orders end up as deliveries though.

I think there are a lot of people who are huge Elon and/or Tesla fans and because of that, and the virtually zero barrier to entry to order a Tesla, will do so on impulse without really thinking "can I afford this?" or "can I get out of my current car lease?" or whatever. As an example, my wife just ordered a BMW X3M to be built to her specs. We didn't need to put any money down to do this, but did have to go to the dealer and sit with someone. That physical interaction is what separates the impulse buyer from the legit buyer. Without the need to actually talk to someone, the barrier for Tesla is (was) just $100. Via an app. From one's sofa. 24/7.

I'm not suggesting people are trolling Tesla with the orders, but rather placing them on a wish to own a Tesla over the ability to own a Tesla. I would not be at all surprised to learn that something like 60% of all orders end up as deliveries though.
I don't remember if it was someone on here, or something I read elsewhere, but I have heard that many "influencers" on social media are placing orders for the Plaid, paying the $100 and showing their confirmation pages to all their followers assumedly as proof of their wealth. Then they cancel their orders.

My wife and I do really well in my eyes, but this is not a cheap car for us. I still don't understand how so many people seem to make so much more than us to be able to afford these easily. I have wanted a Tesla for a while and have been planning/saving for 2 years (originally for a Cybertruck, but updated the plan because I'd like a car before 2025), including paying off her car and redirecting the recurring amount of her payment into a savings account for this.

I don't remember if it was someone on here, or something I read elsewhere, but I have heard that many "influencers" on social media are placing orders for the Plaid, paying the $100 and showing their confirmation pages to all their followers assumedly as proof of their wealth. Then they cancel their orders.

My wife and I do really well in my eyes, but this is not a cheap car for us. I still don't understand how so many people seem to make so much more than us to be able to afford these easily. I have wanted a Tesla for a while and have been planning/saving for 2 years (originally for a Cybertruck, but updated the plan because I'd like a car before 2025), including paying off her car and redirecting the recurring amount of her payment into a savings account for this.
I’m in that same boat, I just want to do away with gas, I’m work 37.5 hours a week at a gate house, and I do Uber when I’m off from there. So no it’s not cheap but the 105,000 that I will be saving by switching to electric for 7 years is worth it to me. Sure my car payment rose by $200 but I’m still happy.

Same, really. This is the most expensive car We have ever bought. But Ive wanted one since the S was in concept, dreamed about, and then i turned my car in when I started working remote, have banked all the funds for a year. I was looking at the id.4 too, but got an unexpected huge promotion that basically covers the expenses of the car, so my husband encouraged me to go for it. I wouldnt be considering it yet otherwise, I think.

Same, really. This is the most expensive car We have ever bought. But Ive wanted one since the S was in concept, dreamed about, and then i turned my car in when I started working remote, have banked all the funds for a year. I was looking at the id.4 too, but got an unexpected huge promotion that basically covers the expenses of the car, so my husband encouraged me to go for it. I wouldnt be considering it yet otherwise, I think.
Yep most expensive for us too. Also never saw the reason to spend more on a car before this. Same reason we got a Tiguan instead of the Audi alternative. Paying for what? The status? And it just depreciates.

By far. For us, both of our cars are our college purchases a decade ago. We're firmly middle class and a car half this price would be "normal" for us. But we have saved aggressively and my wife basically said "we're ahead of our projections...reward yourself." While it slows our current savings pace, we're still ahead of the original plan. Another catalyst was losing a college friend recently reminding me that saving everything for later may never be experienced so enjoy some now, too!