Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you selling the 3, installing a second plug, or just going to switch which car is charging?
Keeping the 3. My wife works from home so will just charge the 3 for her during the day, which will probably only be a couple times a week since she doesn’t drive as much, and I’ll charge the Y overnight after I get home from work. Initial thought was to install a 2nd outlet, but since we don’t need to both charge at night I think we will be able to work it out with just one. And if the situation ever changes I will install a 2nd.

Keeping the 3. My wife works from home so will just charge the 3 for her during the day, which will probably only be a couple times a week since she doesn’t drive as much, and I’ll charge the Y overnight after I get home from work. Initial thought was to install a 2nd outlet, but since we don’t need to both charge at night I think we will be able to work it out with just one. And if the situation ever changes I will install a 2nd.
How are your dates looking?

Reactions: PatrickTM and TESRP
Hi Everyone! Congratulations to all of those who have received their VIN numbers and delivery is scheduled. I can't wait to get mine which is still 90 days out 😒
I have a question though about the insurance. What's the impact on the insurance once the MY is added?

Generally from what I have heard it is pretty hefty, but I can also provide you my real numbers since I was just checking. These may or may not apply to you, and you may choose different levels of coverage.

We have a somewhat recent year Tiguan and a 2012 VW Golf. The Golf pushes up our premium because it was totaled and my FIL bought it at auction and fixed it up, so it has a salvaged AND "not actual miles" title. Both cars are listed as "pleasure" for now since we both switched to 95% remote work. This is about $1020 for the year.

If I wanted to add the Y, it would be $1,800 for the year. If I wanted to replace the Golf (not sure what I will do yet because of very limited market value with a salvage title, despite being in perfect mechanical order) my annual premium would be $1,344

I have heard on here Progressive provides the best rates for Teslas so I plan to get a quote there and can send an update when I do.

Hi Everyone! Congratulations to all of those who have received their VIN numbers and delivery is scheduled. I can't wait to get mine which is still 90 days out 😒
I have a question though about the insurance. What's the impact on the insurance once the MY is added?
That's such a personal factor question that you should be getting quotes from your insurance company. Mine went up about 8 dollars a month (Geico) from a 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with very high coverage levels and low deductibles. I quoted a few others that were HUNDREDS higher a month. I have heard that it can be quite significant so I made sure to get quotes before I ordered.

Reactions: PatrickTM
That's such a personal factor question that you should be getting quotes from your insurance company. Mine went up about 8 dollars a month (Geico) from a 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with very high coverage levels and low deductibles. I quoted a few others that were HUNDREDS higher a month. I have heard that it can be quite significant so I made sure to get quotes before I ordered.
Thanks. I have Geico too. Will check with them and see whether they can provide an estimate.

Reactions: TESRP
Thanks. I have Geico too. Will check with them and see whether they can provide an estimate.
You can do a quote right in the app and play with the deductibles and coverage levels for either adding a new car or replacing an existing one. The only thing I declined was the mechanical breakdown coverage (which I always do) because the car is under warranty from Tesla.

I saved the quote (good for 30 or 60 days? Can't recall) so when I got the VIN, I went back into the app, added the VIN, coverage start date, and finance company - within seconds I had the insurance card to add to my Tesla account. It was SO easy..

Do your homework and good luck.

Reactions: PatrickTM
My electrician who did the install for $765, told me there is “certified by Tesla” and recommended by Tesla. Certified is they are trained to understand the requirements and how to install the wall mount but recommended by Tesla are the electricians that Tesla recommends and have to give a kick back to tesla for suggesting them
Maybe 'certified by Tesla' also includes more extensive training and equipment associated with the energy division, solar panel, main batteries, that whole solar house thing. You might be paying for a 'PHD' to teach addition with a recharger.

Last edited:
You can do a quote right in the app and play with the deductibles and coverage levels for either adding a new car or replacing an existing one. The only thing I declined was the mechanical breakdown coverage (which I always do) because the car is under warranty from Tesla.

I saved the quote (good for 30 or 60 days? Can't recall) so when I got the VIN, I went back into the app, added the VIN, coverage start date, and finance company - within seconds I had the insurance card to add to my Tesla account. It was SO easy..

Do your homework and good luck.
Just got off the phone with Geico who I bundle home and auto policies with. Perfect record, 36 years old and same 100/300/100 policy as my former BMW X3 is going to cost an extra $150 semiannually or about $25 more a month - the bmw was $30k more expensive but the agent explained that because their policies don’t cap repair costs (hourly expense) they need to figure it into the quote.

Hi Gang,

Been lurking for awhile; VIN details arrived overnight on 08/21!

Details:
  • OD: 05/21
  • I believe I was profile complete on that date; if not it was within a few days.
  • Blue LR 5MY, No Tow, Black Seats, 19" Wheels, No FSD
  • VIN 256

No delivery appointment text/email yet; just submitted the MVPA to get loan paperwork moving.

I was seeing a solid window of 11 days (Sept 1-12) for ~3 days prior. After I clicked the blue button it narrowed the window tighter and closer to Aug 31 - Aug 6

Before the narrowing of details I was in the eternal "two weeks away club" where the start window would kick over one day, and the window would always be 14 days.