Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had a couple Outback’s of that vintage, the head gaskets were an issue right up until 2012ish, I believe. Love those cars and the AWD is top notch, can’t wait to see how the Y and dual model AWD compares.

We're coming from a torsen based Audi Quattro, so I'm curious to see how the Tesla stacks up. I suspect it will be much more capable if / when the weather turns slick.

Driving a manual transmission is such a great experience, and I have great memories of learning in high school. Pretty sure my kids will never know the joy of pushing an engine to 5–6k rpm’s or the terror of a stop sign hill start with someone behind you, it’s a little sad but I am happy we’re moving away from the CO emissions and towards a more eco-friendly future (come on cold fusion!)… perhaps someone will retrofit a transmission with an electric powered engine. I’d try that out, however inefficient it is.

I really had hoped to buy a manual beater to teach my oldest stick shift, but then when he got his learner's permit last year used car prices were insane, and they've only gotten worse since he's gotten his license.

I got a VIN today of MF311xxx, but I am seeing other people getting NF309xxx. Can anyone shed some light on mine being a 2021 model, but having a latter set of numbers? How would 309xxx come after 311xxx? Thanks.
The VIN numbers are not in pure sequential order. They assign a block on numbers to different build options. Pearl White paint might get a large block of VIN numbers and Red paint might get a small block of numbers. Then they produce cars by how many are actually on order and maybe add in a few for what might get ordered soon after.

They do this to try and keep everyone guessing on how many cars actually get built in a given month or week. They really want the number to be a surprise at the end of the quarter. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Some would call this manipulating the stock price for the gain of one person. :oops:

My EDD changed again on Saturday, with the window expanding to 7 days from 5 and the front-end date moving closer. New EDD is Nov 14-20!

09/18 OD (at time of order it said “November” delivery)
09/20 EDD changed to 10/10-10/30
09/30 EDD changed to 11/01-11/21
10/11 EDD changed to 11/13-12/11
11/02 EDD changed to 11/16-11/27
11/04 EDD changed to 11/18-11/22
11/06 EDD changed to 11/14-11/20

I had to step out of the workforce for a couple months (long story), but I am about to re-enter (two job offers expected this week). My credit union (NFCU) recently would not approve an auto loan due to lack of “verifiable income”, despite my credit score being >800, them having full visibility of the money I have in my accounts, and me being a 40+yr member. With my MYP coming in a little quicker than expected, I might be in a pickle and needing to pay cash for the car versus getting a pre-approved loan and using a draft from NFCU. I’m bummed because sinking that kind of cash into a car, especially while interest rates are this low, is a very poor use of capital, imo. I’m hoping to have a signed offer letter for a new job this week and maybe that will be sufficient for NFCU to approve a loan in very short order. If the loan does not happen, I’ll likely order another new car and flip this one a few months down the road, so I can buy the next one with a loan. If the loan does happen, I plan to then spend some money on XPEL Stealth to 1) protect the car and 2) change the appearance to matte/satin black.

That brings me to the next topic, XPEL. I’ve called 4 different authorized installers here in the N VA market and the quotes for XPEL Stealth have been $6,500, $7,500, and 2x $8,500. The lowest quote was from a reputable vendor a friend recommended and they have great reviews online. While speaking with one of the $8,500 vendors today, I asked why such huge discrepancy in pricing for the same exact thing in the same market. His reasoning was that they do everything custom and there would be no original blk visible, while other shops may use pre-cut material and the wrap may miss some of the details and not look as good. I’m not really buying that, as it relates to my $6,500 vendor. Heck, i feel like that price is even high compared to what I’ve read on these threads, albeit in other markets. If anyone reading has had a Xpel Stealth wrap done in the DC area, I’d love to hear about your experience.
I can’t speak to having experience with having it done (especially in the DMV…grew up there), but I can also speak to wild discrepancies in price. I was able to find one here in Nashville (well Murfreesboro) who was 6500, top range was 9750. There is a list of XPEL certified installers on XPEL’s website and they were on there. So one would assume they know what they are doing (one would also hope). I can’t see myself paying 2-3k more for a nicer website. Hopefully that’s the actual difference. They spend the same amount of time (4-5 days) and the answers they gave were almost the exact same. We also are getting the same thing..satin black matte.

Just curious- my interior is white on black but has white where the wood is here on the dash. Is that because this one is blue and mine is MSM? I hope my new one doesn't have the wood in it!! :eek::eek:
confused - you should get what you see on the page. Black has always been the "wood" trim for the center dash - see the website. Not sure what you're thinking you're getting.

I'm surprised how popular PPF is among this crowd. I'm too cheap for such a thing (and have never found it necessary - even thought I've (GASP!) brought my Teslas through auto car washes a few times.) But I'm definitely considering a wrap to cure me of the boring white.

To me, Tesla only sells two colors: Blue and Red. The rest are just lack-of-colors. But since I already have one of each of the two real colors, time for something fun and custom. Pretty sure my better half will veto anything involving glitter or rainbows.

Just curious- my interior is white on black but has white where the wood is here on the dash. Is that because this one is blue and mine is MSM? I hope my new one doesn't have the wood in it!! :eek::eek:
So keep in mind the lighting in my garage is terrible, a mix of fluorescent, LED, incandescent etc. The dash trim is not really a wood grain. It's a slightly different color than the seating material and the door trim however. Honestly I would have preferred a wood trim, but when you buy a Tesla, one takes what one can get, and Tesla says "you're welcome" :)

So far this is the only picture I've managed to snap

Well, so far this is the only picture I've had a chance to snap. I'll take more after I get the PPF done :)

View attachment 730844
Ahhh!! The blue on white is so pretty! Can't wait to get mine! Hard to believe I've been waiting 87 days already (but who's counting?). With the exception of a few visits to November, a brief period in Jan/Feb, and one April Fool's, my EDD has pretty consistently been December, so hopefully not too much longer to wait. 🤩🤩

So I know some of you have developed fancy spreadsheets to track your EDD... I really just wanted to know how many days I've been waiting and how many I have left (based on beginning of EDD range - because I'm an optimist ;)), plus percentage of completion on the waiting period. This is what I've been using. Does my focus on the numbers give away the fact that I'm a CPA? 🤣

1636429325770.png

We're coming from a torsen based Audi Quattro, so I'm curious to see how the Tesla stacks up. I suspect it will be much more capable if / when the weather turns slick.

I really had hoped to buy a manual beater to teach my oldest stick shift, but then when he got his learner's permit last year used car prices were insane, and they've only gotten worse since he's gotten his license.
The used car market is just insane right now, I got an offer for our 2013 Subaru Forester with 71k miles of $15,300 (Carvana was about $3800 higher than the next quote).

I would love to get a manual car but I’d probably want a early 2010s Audi Alltrack or maybe a similar vintage Forester XT. I have like 10 more years to consider it for my oldest, so my chances of realizing that dream while slim, will likely fall at the opposite end of the market prices spectrum for ICE vehicles.

The used car market is just insane right now, I got an offer for our 2013 Subaru Forester with 71k miles of $15,300 (Carvana was about $3800 higher than the next quote).

I would love to get a manual car but I’d probably want a early 2010s Audi Alltrack or maybe a similar vintage Forester XT. I have like 10 more years to consider it for my oldest, so my chances of realizing that dream while slim, will likely fall at the opposite end of the market prices spectrum for ICE vehicles.
I have an '04 Porsche 911 with a manual transmission, but no way I'm turning a 16 year old loose in that thing, nor am I keen on him learning stick shift on a car that expensive to replace a clutch on. That said, the 0-60 on this non-performance model Y is the same as that old Porsche. Kind of insane when you think about it.

So I know some of you have developed fancy spreadsheets to track your EDD... I really just wanted to know how many days I've been waiting and how many I have left (based on beginning of EDD range - because I'm an optimist ;)), plus percentage of completion on the waiting period. This is what I've been using. Does my focus on the numbers give away the fact that I'm a CPA? 🤣

View attachment 730883
My sheet only had columns A and B lol. Didn't bother with the rest. I think I spend way too much time in reporting and excel, that I could care less. All I wanted to know was the number of days I had been waiting.
1636432945010.png

I have an '04 Porsche 911 with a manual transmission, but no way I'm turning a 16 year old loose in that thing, nor am I keen on him learning stick shift on a car that expensive to replace a clutch on. That said, the 0-60 on this non-performance model Y is the same as that old Porsche. Kind of insane when you think about it.
Surprisingly, even a ‘04 Porsche has a forum with a DIY clutch replacement! Clutch Replacement - DIY - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

nice bonding experience with your son to do that kind of repair, if it comes to it. On my first time driving a stick as a 17-yr old, I broke the shaft to the rear differential. It probably wasn’t entirely my fault, but it was a story that did not die down quickly!

I have lurked on this forum for a couple of months now and it has been fun getting to know you all through your journeys. I am a proud yet dejected owner of a ‘99 Subaru Outback with manual transmission. The reason I waited for so long to buy a Tesla is I wanted to get the single casting. And the head gasket on the Subie failed In August. It is my second failed head gasket (car has 180K miles). So I have placed an order for a MSM MYLR. It is an August order, so EDD is Dec 8-31 after being at Nov 16-Dec 14 for 4 weeks. But feels like the end of an era. My 17-yr old son wants the Subie. Drives like a dream, but is a rust bucket, with a lot of Bondo. Want both my sons to know how to drive a manual, because that is what the rest of the world does. And I learned to drive in India - where it is opposite handed driving! They both know how timing belts are changed, because I did them at home with help from a mechanic. But I draw the line on an at-home head gasket repair! But I am bridging the generations here. And am no longer enamored of the carbon cost of the Subie at 23 mpg. The times, they need a-changing! But what would be cool is having some kind of manual option on a EV platform. I know everyone is talking about FSD and all that, I still like one hand on the wheel, another on a stick.
I’m with you. I learned driving in the United States in 1994, but by my tally four of my vehicles have been stick and four automatic. Generally every other car was stick. My last was a 2017 Subaru WRX. I have also had a manual motorcycle, and the first vehicle I learned to drive was a manual tractor on my uncles farm at 12 years old.

No idea how that would apply to an electric vehicle though.

Reactions: ArrogantSeeker
So far this is the only picture I've managed to snap

Well, so far this is the only picture I've had a chance to snap. I'll take more after I get the PPF done :)

I’ve got to ask. Where is the picture shot? Looks like Shelburne Bay, assuming maybe Jericho or Underhill?

I used to live in Colchester where the Winooski River met Lake Champlain. I miss Vermont, at least northern Vermont.

@thecavalry @morpheus2969 and @TatisJr are spot on. It does not seem like there’s any battery/drivetrain changes, just more precise reporting of EPA ranges. But Model 3 RWD did get the LFP battery and is no longer called Standard Range. To be fair it is also no longer priced as a Standard Range 😩

I don’t know, to me EPA range is BS until they agree to one single standard for rating cars, and no longer allow manufacturers to adjust their own correction factors. Cruising at 75 mph, one shouldn’t be able to get 50 miles more than EPA rating in a Taycan and not be able to attain EPA range in a Tesla. I fear right now it just confuses people who are not EV nerds.
That's it; maybe the last time I was in I was dorking around and left it on the 20 inch wheels. I knew it had gone up, then couldn't figure out why it had gone down. I just had it set on the wrong wheels.

I'm surprised how popular PPF is among this crowd. I'm too cheap for such a thing (and have never found it necessary - even thought I've (GASP!) brought my Teslas through auto car washes a few times.) But I'm definitely considering a wrap to cure me of the boring white.

To me, Tesla only sells two colors: Blue and Red. The rest are just lack-of-colors. But since I already have one of each of the two real colors, time for something fun and custom. Pretty sure my better half will veto anything involving glitter or rainbows.
100% on all of this. If 5 years down the line my front bumper has some stone chips, I'll have it resprayed for a few hundred bucks.