Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a really dumb question: does FSD option require a hardware change upon ordering? I thought it was just a software mod--such that selecting one way or the other wouldn't effect delivery date. Is that right?
Correct, the only thing required for FSD is basically just a line of code allowing you to access what is already in the vehicle. However my point is that I ordered a non FSD model Y performance, and got filled instantly. I wasn't really pointing out that FSD had any part in it, more so the performance and long range time deviations.

Reactions: LaFlamaBlanc@
I have a really dumb question: does FSD option require a hardware change upon ordering? I thought it was just a software mod--such that selecting one way or the other wouldn't effect delivery date. Is that right?
The hardware is the same regardless of ordering FSD. However that doesn't necessarily mean the "part" is the same in the manufacturing process. From my experience in a somewhat similar manufacturing environment, the software was installed on the hardware ahead of final assembly; the hardware when installed with one version of that software had a different part number than the same hardware with different software.

I have no idea of this is what Tesla is doing - they may be installing/activating software after assembly. If they are pre installing, this could be why it seems FSD impacts delivery even though it's "just software".

Reactions: LaFlamaBlanc@
More expensive in what way? I get over time it can and will be more expensive(especially if you got into FSD early) but I can't imagine they would charge more than $300 a month, no? I've tried to look for more details but seems we just won't know much more until Tesla actually tells us.
Yeah we shall see what they say, but $300 a month for how long? Elon even said that buying it upfront will still be a better cost than the subscription

For what it's worth - I ordered a MY LR, white on white, 20" induction wheels, no FSD on 4/9/21 (St. Louis, MO). As most of you have experienced, my dates jumped all over the place almost daily. Yesterday, my expected delivery dates were May 13 - May 30. This morning they updated to May 24 - June 12. About an hour after the dates updated, I got an email that payment was due. I refreshed my Tesla account page and saw that I had been assigned a VIN 179XXX and the delivery has been scheduled for 5/5.

So I’ve been holding off on uploading my existing proof of insurance but thought maybe if I do it, it’ll push my order along (wishful thinking I know). Of course now all of a sudden the option to upload files is missing from my profile. 🤪
74395BF7-6E8A-4CAA-A27B-48DE2671117B.png

Thanks. Home drop off wasn't available. I thought that was odd - I'm pretty close to the mother ship location. I do prefer going to pick it up.
Finaleupdate. Notified via eMail Sunday, 4/25, the car would deliver Thursday, 4/29, between 9am to 6pm. Received an eMailed Wednesday to finish a "new" registration form that was posted on my Tesla logIn. Paper work finished Thursday @ 8:00am. Car was delivered, 4/29, at 11:00 to outside my garage (per my request). I walked out and met the driver before he could finish his log in. Nice guy - enthusiastic and we chatted for a few minutes - then he was on his way. This was a hands free delivery. I received a text from Tesla to login to my iPhone Tesla App - within 5 minutes I was sent access to my phone allowing me to open the car and begin my "set-up". 5 more minutes and I'm doing the setup and buying/downloading the "performance upgrade" and a software update. By 11:30 I'm out for a drive. The car was perfect. Not a single flaw, fabulous car. I only talked to two people - from the test drive to the final delivery. What a great experience!

Ordered 04/10, updated color to red on 04/22. Estimated delivery was 05-22 through 06-08 following update. Now has been removed for past five days. Indianapolis area. Castleton center. Shelby is my SA and indicated VIN coming next next 1-2 weeks after inquiring about missing delivery window on account screen.

Long Range All-Wheel Drive Config
  • Red Multi-Coat Paint
  • 20’’ Induction Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Five Seat Interior
  • Autopilot
  • Full Self-Driving Capability

Reactions: Sudsington
Finaleupdate. Notified via eMail Sunday, 4/25, the car would deliver Thursday, 4/29, between 9am to 6pm. Received an eMailed Wednesday to finish a "new" registration form that was posted on my Tesla logIn. Paper work finished Thursday @ 8:00am. Car was delivered, 4/29, at 11:00 to outside my garage (per my request). I walked out and met the driver before he could finish his log in. Nice guy - enthusiastic and we chatted for a few minutes - then he was on his way. This was a hands free delivery. I received a text from Tesla to login to my iPhone Tesla App - within 5 minutes I was sent access to my phone allowing me to open the car and begin my "set-up". 5 more minutes and I'm doing the setup and buying/downloading the "performance upgrade" and a software update. By 11:30 I'm out for a drive. The car was perfect. Not a single flaw, fabulous car. I only talked to two people - from the test drive to the final delivery. What a great experience!
These Tesla’s are like your children. Once you take delivery they are perfect. Even with a minor flaw or two down the road they will always be perfect. 😉😍

So I’ve been holding off on uploading my existing proof of insurance but thought maybe if I do it, it’ll push my order along (wishful thinking I know). Of course now all of a sudden the option to upload files is missing from my profile. 🤪
View attachment 658232
I did that exact activity today thru the Web Portal. I was told to upload my existing policy so that they know you already have an insurance carrier.

I was told the following:

"Your new Tesla does not have to be on your insurance yet. They just need it in your documents you upload to them. So no, a VIN is not needed yet."

I now have a check box where once before I did not

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 6.49.58 PM.png

I did that exact activity today thru the Web Portal. I was told to upload my existing policy so that they know you already have an insurance carrier.

I was told the following:

"Your new Tesla does not have to be on your insurance yet. They just need it in your documents you upload to them. So no, a VIN is not needed yet."

I now have a check box where once before I did not

View attachment 658245
Same for me, it wasn't there before today.

Reactions: Emmadiane
Ordered 04/10, updated color to red on 04/22. Estimated delivery was 05-22 through 06-08 following update. Now has been removed for past five days. Indianapolis area. Castleton center. Shelby is my SA and indicated VIN coming next next 1-2 weeks after inquiring about missing delivery window on account screen.

Long Range All-Wheel Drive Config
  • Red Multi-Coat Paint
  • 20’’ Induction Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Five Seat Interior
  • Autopilot
  • Full Self-Driving Capability
Lucky you. I ordered on 4/2 Red MYP...no VIN and was told by SA expect early Jun.

Just some information for everyone to potentially help out.. I use to work in auto manufacturing. It's a nightmare. You're highly dependent on suppliers. Then you toss in all the variables of different configurations, different geographic locations and it becomes a nightmare. There are then tooling changes for different configs. If you change tooling too often, that's time and money, but you must change for different configs. There could be literally thousands of variables. semiconductors, seats, paint chemicals, downtime for certain robots, staffing, defects. It's endless. I think what Tesla is trying to do is provide you a rough estimate. When it slips it means something is ahead of you, which I would suspect is any of these variables. If you ordered a Red Model Y and you're in Texas, it's unlikely you'll get on the schedule until more of those are ordered.
Great perspective. Poor Tesla is getting beat up for the dates moving. I custom ordered a BMW a few years ago and you just get a generic “in production” notice for weeks on end. At least moving dates give us something to distract us 😂

The entire Model Y lead time seems to shift daily. We ordered on 4-11 the same set up as you: LR AWD, Midnight Silver Metallic, Black & white 5-seat interior, 20-inch, Tow Hitch, no FSD.
Yesterday, May 13-31.
Today, 6-10 weeks from order.
Go figure.
I also have a midnight silver with white seats. Different wheels though, and no hitch and I just got moved up from May 27-Jun 26 to Jun 1-20. My advisor has said from the beginning to expect mid June, and confirmed that again the other day by looking at some report.

Regression only gives you something that has a connection to reality if the samples represent an actual noisy trend, not just BS.

Here's my own history of estimates. I ordered on March 26 (same day as you), but my estimated delivery date now is farther away than it was a month ago when I ordered. Linear regression actually gives me a trend steeper than 1, which means the delivery is getting farther every day, ergo I'll never get a car.
I ordered on March 26th, also delivery in MD as well. MYLR, pearl white, black interior, 5 door, 19" gemini.

I was at May 9-25 for a couple days, but since Monday had been pushed out to June X - June 30. The "x" just keeps moving further out, and although I ordered it at the end of LAST quarter, it looks like I'll be getting it at the end of this quarter (which I was trying to avoid)