Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm shocked to hear the prices people pay for electricians, I do all my own work. If you're scared of electricity, shut off the main breaker. It's worth saving $1000.
It's one thing to swap out a light fixture and another to install something like this. It's also legit irresponsible to encourage first-time DIY electricians to take on a project like this, IMO, so there's that.

I just spoke to a delivery person and they told me it's automated and I had to wait for the text to schedule. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Minutes after I responded to you saying I never received a text from Tesla ever, I got a text from Tesla requesting to schedule delivery 😬. Their system is a bit slow and can't keep up with my impatience.
Hope you get the text soon.

Is that button right on the order page?? All it says on mine 5/27 - 5/30 estimated delivery.. No button
Don’t wait for them to reach out to you. Call them. They will get things rolling. I told them that I wanted to pick up the same day at 4pm and they arranged it. Got the cashiers check in the Morgan’s then took it in when I went to pick up my car.

a few years ago I paid like $350 for them to put it right next to panel. That was at a previous house so I need to get it redone in new house.

Just got a quote for this one and was quoted $1000 because I'm putting it far from panel since panel is on other side of house from garage. They said copper prices are skyrocketing and the wire alone is like $700
$850 for an installation of a wall connector on a 60amp circuit and a fairly good run of wire (pic attached). Not sure how that would compare to an installation of a nema 14-50 . Also not sure if the cost of a nema 14-50 outlet is officially qualified for the EV charging station tax credit, but it probably passes muster. Total cost of the charger and install was $1,350 ~ $945 net of tax credit. I'll take it for a safe system installed by a pro since I have absolutely no business messing around with that much juice.

Attachments

• IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 67
I'm shocked to hear the prices people pay for electricians, I do all my own work. If you're scared of electricity, shut off the main breaker. It's worth saving $1000.
I did my install when we bought our first EV, 2015 BMW i3 in 2019. Had to run about 70 feet of cable in my crawl space.
Here some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_4043.JPEG
    IMG_4043.JPEG
    464.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4045.JPEG
    IMG_4045.JPEG
    416.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4046.JPEG
    IMG_4046.JPEG
    848.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4048.JPEG
    IMG_4048.JPEG
    555.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4050.JPEG
    IMG_4050.JPEG
    571.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4051.JPEG
    IMG_4051.JPEG
    459.7 KB · Views: 53
Anyone have experience transferring your license plate from the car you are trading in to your new Tesla? Is it depending on which state you are in? (I am in WA)
A friend told me it was easy so that is my plan. She said that Tesla would just have to file the registration with my current plate instead of applying for a new on. When I ordered my Y (5/18) there was an option to say that you were transferring plates so that's what I chose. We'll see if it works...

a few years ago I paid like $350 for them to put it right next to panel. That was at a previous house so I need to get it redone in new house.

Just got a quote for this one and was quoted $1000 because I'm putting it far from panel since panel is on other side of house from garage. They said copper prices are skyrocketing and the wire alone is like $700
I paid $450. He had to add a second panel that’s what pushed up the cost. There was no more space in my current panel for additional breakers..

I installed mine myself last year when I got my M3. It was super expensive to have someone come and do it so I did it myself - watched a couple YouTube videos and I was good to go. Has been charging my M3 every day for the last 13 months! 👍🏼
That's what I'm doing. I haven't had a chance to cut power and actually run the wire or install the breaker yet since my wife & I are both teaching from home.

Reactions: GoGators!
It's one thing to swap out a light fixture and another to install something like this. It's also legit irresponsible to encourage first-time DIY electricians to take on a project like this, IMO, so there's that.
It's definitely not...ease up. I'm encouraging people to do research, not necessarily to just start putzing around with 220/240 lines. Watch some youtube videos, do some internet research, see if it makes you feel comfortable. This stuff is not hard. The honest truth is that if someone can learn how to do this stuff in a month at a trade school there's a good chance most people can learn to do it on their own with some research.

I have zero problems paying for things I don't want to do or aren't comfortable doing around my house, but people paying a lot of money for relatively simple tasks just because they thought it was difficult is almost shameful.

Anyone here know what power adapters the Y is coming with nowadays? I’ve decided to hold off getting an outlet installed in my garage because my dryer is right next to my garage. For the time being I plan on using dryer outlet for charging. Not sure what I need to buy.
My dryer plug specs:
I think the standard charging cables are the common 110V ones but you can buy the NEMA 10-30 / 10-50 dryer outlet type adapters on the Tesla stores. I am also planning to use my dryer outlet for a short period of time before investing in an expensive option

Reactions: dsandhu