Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sales tax will not populate even after VIN. I don't believe sales tax is something that you can lump into your loan if going through Tesla. Someone can correct me, but I think you're on your own. Texas is a franchise dealer state. Tesla cannot sell you a car in Texas, so they can't pay taxes on your behalf like other dealers can. You're technically buying it in California and Telsa is shipping it to you in Texas for delivery. However, your Sales Advisor can probably give you a rough estimate of what that will cost and how to deal with sales tax.

Tesla will send you self-registration packet that you will then need to take to your County Tax Assessors office to pay the taxes and other fees due to the state. I don't know how a Tesla loan would do that without being able to send you a check to cover taxes and fees (which I have my doubts they'd be able to do).

From my understanding and experience, if you want TTL lumped into the loan you can get your own financing from somewhere that can issue you a check for the TTL.

I'm still in the process of delivery (scheduled for 6/17) so I don't know all this for sure. Personally, I've accounted for my estimated tax bill and reduced my down payment to accommodate it.

Welcome to Texas... yee-haw? 🤠
Thank you for the response. I never asked a SA or really put much thought into it; I just assumed it would be rolled in like other vehicles I've leased/financed in Texas. Looks like I need to adjust my down payment a little or get comfortable with shelling out another 4k this month.

Same here. Received a text about adding a trade-in yesterday. Received a call from my SA asking if I would be willing to take a Model Y matching my config but with a tow hitch. Told him yes. While on the phone with him making the vehicle assignment, got the BLue button to accept Tesla Vision and right afterwards saw the VIN. This afternoon, got the automated text to schedule my delivery. Delivery set for 6/16 @11am. Vehicle is in transit. Not a demo vehicle. Excited for next week!

Part of the text I received for tomorrow's delivery, it says "Submit payment via your Tesla Account. Please refrain from bringing a check if possible as this will delay the experience." Why does it matter to them whether I pay now, or 21 hours from now in-person? Is it because they want to do a full contactless experience?

I think as a technology-first company they want everything done well ahead of time. Bringing a cashiers check allows you leverage should you have issues with the car so that they don't have your funds hostage.

Same here. Received a text about adding a trade-in yesterday. Received a call from my SA asking if I would be willing to take a Model Y matching my config but with a tow hitch. Told him yes. While on the phone with him making the vehicle assignment, got the BLue button to accept Tesla Vision and right afterwards saw the VIN. This afternoon, got the automated text to schedule my delivery. Delivery set for 6/16 @11am. Vehicle is in transit. Not a demo vehicle. Excited for next week!
What config?

Make sure you confirm she won't lose her job if she accidentally typed one more 0 at the end of the refund amount. (The scammers always do this and "get fired" :D)

Joking aside, congrats on getting some money back. It's not always easy to get some obvious and simple things done by Tesla without drama.
Oh, she confirmed they amount to down to the cent. I had to re-sign my MVPA and my financing bank was also Cc in the email because Tesla also owes them due to a calculation mistake and then my bank called to go over details. 🤣

I thought I was winning the lottery.

Sales tax will not populate even after VIN. I don't believe sales tax is something that you can lump into your loan if going through Tesla. Someone can correct me, but I think you're on your own. Texas is a franchise dealer state. Tesla cannot sell you a car in Texas, so they can't pay taxes on your behalf like other dealers can. You're technically buying it in California and Telsa is shipping it to you in Texas for delivery. However, your Sales Advisor can probably give you a rough estimate of what that will cost and how to deal with sales tax.

Tesla will send you self-registration packet that you will then need to take to your County Tax Assessors office to pay the taxes and other fees due to the state. I don't know how a Tesla loan would do that without being able to send you a check to cover taxes and fees (which I have my doubts they'd be able to do).

From my understanding and experience, if you want TTL lumped into the loan you can get your own financing from somewhere that can issue you a check for the TTL.

I'm still in the process of delivery (scheduled for 6/17) so I don't know all this for sure. Personally, I've accounted for my estimated tax bill and reduced my down payment to accommodate it.

Welcome to Texas... yee-haw? 🤠
Wow. So that means you also can't take advantage on the sales tax if you're trading in with Tesla. Makes more sense to sell your car separately.

I think as a technology-first company they want everything done well ahead of time. Bringing a cashiers check allows you leverage should you have issues with the car so that they don't have your funds hostage.
I think the biggest benefit to Tesla is that the automated electronic fund transfer would be much easier to reconcile to the receivable account in their books, compared to a check that has to go through some manual (and potentially error-prone) work.

For Tesla, they should really withdraw the fund when customers click the "Accept Delivery" button. They should not need the assure of funds in hand ahead of time, since they have the ability to track down the exact locations of the cars and potentially disable them remotely.

Wow. So that means you also can't take advantage on the sales tax if you're trading in with Tesla. Makes more sense to sell your car separately.
When you trade, you only pay the sales tax for the difference between the cost of the car and the value of the trade in. For example: car cost 60k - trade in value is 40k = you pay takes for 20k instead of the 60k. that’s how it was explained to me.

Reactions: iratre
When you trade, you only pay the sales tax for the difference between the cost of the car and the value of the trade in. For example: car cost 60k - trade in value is 40k = you pay takes for 20k instead of the 60k. that’s how it was explained to me.
In PA it’s only on the positive equity of the trade. I still owed about what Tesla was going to give me, but my updated down payment including my trade didn’t get reduced by the sales tax savings. I told my SA to remove the trade and I’m getting more from Carvana anyway.

this evening i sold off my car to a local dealership, i had them match Tesla's offer + tax offset i would have had in texas. dealership accepted, one less headache with tesla!

Ordered 5/7, got my VIN 5/28, got my car delivered today! Got to the Tesla location and traded in my car, signed the paperwork, and got my new Model Y. I checked all around the car and there were no visual issues except scuff marks I could rub off easily. I didn't go through the official checklist yet but everything seems perfect from 3 full hours with the car, inspecting and trying everything.

Part of the text I received for tomorrow's delivery, it says "Submit payment via your Tesla Account. Please refrain from bringing a check if possible as this will delay the experience." Why does it matter to them whether I pay now, or 21 hours from now in-person? Is it because they want to do a full contactless experience?

When I got my car on Tues from Raintree, I had already paid for it and all the paperwork was done waiting in the car ready to sign. If you're bringing
payment they will have to do all that there, if there even is someone. When I was there the lot was PACKED and there was only one guy moving
cars around that I saw. Not even sure anyone else was there to accept a cashiers check in person...