Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Referral code?

Screenshot_20210624-213158.png

Odd request: someone posted a couple of pics of their White Y with the 19s w/ wheelcaps off, and I thought it looked fantastic (and I'm a wheel guy!). Could have been the angle of the pics, the angle of the sun, whatever the case I thought it looked incredible. Problem: I want to show those pics to my wife, but.. there are 751 pages in this thread. Does anyone remember who's car that was so I can click on their name and find the post?
Found it, this is the pic!
img_2571-jpg.674323

Love how the 19s look, I almost didn't believe they look like this as they look nicely finished, at first I thought they had them powder coated but claims that they just got the car a day prior (the owner said "Finally took delivery yesterday! Immediately punted the Gemini covers in the trash as soon as I got home."). I'm someone who detests black wheels, and the "blacked out" look in general, I'm a big fan of silver wheels. I notice he put the center cap and lug not covers in place, but if this is the way the wheels are finished from the factory I'm gonna be extra happy. I guess the ones I saw IRL were powder coated black/gray or something (and this was on multiple cars), a look that absolutely doesn't work for me -- I thought that's how they come from the factory. Do they really look like in this pic or has the owner done something to them?

New to this but figured I’d share my experience since it just happened:

Ordered a LR Model Y with the normal 19” wheels on May 10th. Got a VIN at the end of May. Then that VIN changed first week of June, with an anticipated June 16-23 delivery. Monday this week, the date changed to June 23 -30. Wednesday (the 23rd) it changes to July 1-12, then finally today it not only removed the VIN, but just gave me “September” as the delivery date.
I did call the service center and they can’t find the VIN and they don’t see it got reassigned, so no idea what happened, but my car pretty much vanished.

Ordered a LR Model Y with the normal 19” wheels on May 10th. Got a VIN at the end of May. Then that VIN changed first week of June, with an anticipated June 16-23 delivery. Monday this week, the date changed to June 23 -30. Wednesday (the 23rd) it changes to July 1-12, then finally today it not only removed the VIN, but just gave me “September” as the delivery date.
I did call the service center and they can’t find the VIN and they don’t see it got reassigned, so no idea what happened, but my car pretty much vanished.
That totally sucks! A similar thing happened to several other people here. My heart goes out to you. Buying a new Tesla should be a fun and exciting experience, not a trip to the gates of Hell. Yes this is 100% a first world problem but it still sucks that Tesla would treat their customers like this. Maybe we can try to combine our voices on social media.

I'm in similar boat, although not the 2 year part. June 26-30 yesterday, July 16-Aug 8 today. Maybe tomorrow will be June 27-30, who knows (not even Tesla haha)!
Called SA, and they told me that is was a glitch in the system (again) and that I was still on schedule for June 30 delivery. He told me I was expected to get a VIN Thursday (today), then vehicle on transport Saturday for delivery before the 30th. Checked the account, as you said, updated with 27-30 expected delivery. But no VIN today, oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Reactions: moe0059 and BitJam
Think that a sales manager who can sell a product for 10% more and make Q2 numbers look better is very right. Try to see clearly what they care about. An old car order might not be for you at that price level any more, or it can be months before you find a match in your account, if ever.
Tesla is a "for profit" business. Do not forget this. Musk does not. What is $6,500 x 1,000 orders = ? Sales manager surely knows.
That is not the reason they stole my VIN, its happened to at least two others on this forum alone that were not pre-release reservation holders. So while that may have been a happy bonus for them regarding my order it was not the policy they are holding to. They are not actively seeking out those orders and delaying them, in reality they should be fulfilling them at a faster pace to get them off the books or the price gap will only continue to widen and put further pressure on everything. And lets be real, its not like im getting the car for free. I am paying a fair price for the car and they are still making a healthy margin or they would have never started selling the cars for that price in the first place. The ONLY reason the price gap between my car and yours is because of the autopilot price increase which is a pure profit upsell at this point as many have pointed out on countless occasions on this thread alone.
I also know for a fact based on multiple sources that the pre-order reservations are pushed higher on the priority list for delivery. I was flat out told this on multiple occasions by at least 5 different people in different sections of the sales team. This was also a main reason when I placed my order I planned our life around the earlier portion of the delivery window. Which if they had not taken my VIN away would have been only a week off.

And they don’t even say, “here’s 10K in free supercharger miles for your inconvenience!”
kind of makes you wonder if that’s where some of these inventory cares come from. Especially if they are usually selling them with upgraded wheels and they are all selling for more than the cars we ordered back in May.
Yeah, considering how cheap of a "we are sorry card" free SC miles are for them I am really surprised they dont offer it more often. When I leased my M3 they bungled it up majorly and gave me a credit to the online store which I thought was crazy but happily accepted. I'd have been just as happy if they'd offered me the same price in free SC miles and it would have cost them pennies on the dollar, but whatever... 🤷🏻‍♂️ It would have been nice if they'd at least offered an extended test drive so we could have two cars again for at least a few days... 🙄

Well, you can say it sounds dumb and absurd, but we put in our order and deposit on night of reveal which was 3/15/2019. So you should prolly understand the situation before making such comments.
Agreed, I am in the exact situation. There are lots of people here who have ordered and then put it on hold for various reasons. I've explained mine already...

I paid in full for my demo car on Tuesday. On Wednesday they acknowledged this and I am now waiting for them to schedule 3rd party shipping. They've only been silent for one day but it feels like now that they have my money they've lost interest. We'll see. My guess is they're using all shipping available to shuffle cars around to get more sales before the end of the quarter. I think they're pulling out all stops to avoid ruinous 2nd quarter sales results and we just got caught in the cross-fire.

My heart goes out to people like @digitalboi who got shafted for no good reason. I sure hope Tesla does something to make it up to them but I'm not holding my breath. OTOH, no matter how bad this feels, a delayed Tesla delivery is the very epitome of a first world problem.

BTW: I fixed my old car today. There was a short in the power lock in the driver's door. Thankfully it was cool enough to work on my car in the driveway. I took off the door panel and saw the ugly naked wires with 30 year old insulation crumbling off. I unplugged the power lock and put the door panel back on. I am now hopeful the new car will arrive before the old car goes tires up.
I love your posts ❤️ Equal parts feel good and chuckles every time...

Sounds like the old guy is due for a pyre funeral 🔥🚙🔥

Another thing I just remembered... They passed a statewide law around here a few years back, that says that when there is an emergency vehicle pulled over on the side of the road with the emergency lights on, you are required to change lanes into the next lane over, to leave the lane adjacent to the emergency vehicle clear... If you are unable to safely change lanes, you are required to slow to a minimum of 5 mph under the posted speed limit... I remember they did several stings a while back, where they had a cop on the shoulder with the emergency lights flashing...A fleet of motorcycle cops waiting just ahead, pulled over anyone that didn't either change lanes, or slow down to under the limit.
OH YEAH! They did something similar here... with the stings too!

Found it, this is the pic!
img_2571-jpg.674323

Love how the 19s look, I almost didn't believe they look like this as they look nicely finished, at first I thought they had them powder coated but claims that they just got the car a day prior (the owner said "Finally took delivery yesterday! Immediately punted the Gemini covers in the trash as soon as I got home."). I'm someone who detests black wheels, and the "blacked out" look in general, I'm a big fan of silver wheels. I notice he put the center cap and lug not covers in place, but if this is the way the wheels are finished from the factory I'm gonna be extra happy. I guess the ones I saw IRL were powder coated black/gray or something (and this was on multiple cars), a look that absolutely doesn't work for me -- I thought that's how they come from the factory. Do they really look like in this pic or has the owner done something to them?
This is actually how they look from the factory minus the center cap and lug covers. As soon as you pull the covers off! They are painted silver and you can buy the cap and lug set directly from Tesla to match the correct color since you mentioned you don't like the blackout look at all.

New to this but figured I’d share my experience since it just happened:

So sorry to hear you are another victim @NetLoser ... While they may not be telling you this when you call them, I can assure you your situation is 99% the same as the others here. They may just be getting smart and not actually sharing the details anymore.
Your VIN would not have arrived and delivered to you by the end of Q2, so they removed it from your account to match it to someone closer to the cars location to meet the Q2 delivery end.

Was your order placed before any of the recent price changes? Someone previously mentioned that they were targeting reservations with lower prices so I want to see if that data point holds...

That totally sucks! A similar thing happened to several other people here. My heart goes out to you. Buying a new Tesla should be a fun and exciting experience, not a trip to the gates of Hell. Yes this is 100% a first world problem but it still sucks that Tesla would treat their customers like this. Maybe we can try to combine our voices on social media.
I posted a tweet to Elon, a few people here have commented, liked, and retweeted it; the numbers are growing so hopefully soon it should have enough momentum to get a response from Lord Elon. I've also reached out to a few of the news sites about the story so I'll share your experience with them as well as further evidence of this terrible policy that needs to be stopped.

Link to the tweet to Elon

Last edited:
Called SA, and they told me that is was a glitch in the system (again) and that I was still on schedule for June 30 delivery. He told me I was expected to get a VIN Thursday (today), then vehicle on transport Saturday for delivery before the 30th. Checked the account, as you said, updated with 27-30 expected delivery. But no VIN today, oh well, maybe tomorrow.
🤞🏻 crossed for you! (but dont hold your breath)

Reactions: cancoi and hcdavis3