Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't say that Tesla would go under or anything like that. But it's really important to remember that Tesla has had virtually NO competition to this point in the US. Over the next 1-5 years, there's going to be competitive cars from Ford/GM/Hyundai/etc. Not saying they'll be better, but it will be real competition, as Tesla moves from more early adopters to the general public as EV adoption picks up. Tesla is the best right now, but the automobile market isn't like consumer software, where you can legitimately capture 80%+ of the market (Google, Facebook, etc.). There's a lot of companies that will eventually catch up, at which point Tesla is going to have to adapt and fix their flaws. Right now they don't really have to, cause their cars are so clearly superior to every other EV that people will just buy them no matter what.
Those brands wouldn't be Tesla's main competitors, it would be BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. Tesla is in the Luxury side of things. In my opinion.

Reactions: Rovin
I've been reading the responses from the last few pages and I feel like a lot of people share the same sentiment as me. Tesla isn't dealing with "fanboy's" ordering anymore... now we're regular consumers either trying our hand at our first EV or maybe second after a GM or Nissan, or other tesla.

I'm in the tech forward crowd, I appreciate a well put together piece of technology and i appreciate a good tech ecosystem like apple has put together, and it feels like Tesla is on the way to achieve similar.

I'm not neccessarily buying a Tesla because of my concern for the environment (extracting rare earth metals for our batteries is dirtier than coal mining, and I will continue to rely on the power grid for electricity so burn baby burn and use that nuclear energy!)

Tesla's customer service reminds me of Apple's when the iphone 4-5 models were coming out, all of a sudden the rush of orders came in, and delivery estimates went crazy because Apple underestimated demand by a few magnitutes. I remember this time because it was when i finally put down my trusty blackberry for an iphone and have never looked back, but to get that darn phone it took almost 6 months because apple expected the fanboys to buy and not the mass market. Atleast tesla is offering delivery estimates even if they're completely whacked out - apple took my money and then one day 6 months later my iphone showed up.

While my wife is insisting we place our order on hold I'm going to keep the order open and take my MY when it comes. The Model Y is supposed to be our "cheap" attempt at EV ownership - if it turns out to be a great experience I want one of the SuperSedan EV's on the market - currently either a Model S plaid or Taycan Turbo S (yes I know the plaid outruns the porsche for now, but trust me the Germans will find a way to make it faster) -but in order to see how that ownership experience is, I need this MY.

Sorry for the long and windy message, had to get my thoughts out.

EDD updated to 8/10 - 8/21, the end date has been sticking the same
(if my theory is correct, I should get a vin around the 11/12 range..)

Ordered on 7/8:
MY LR AWD, BLACK, WHITE INTERIOR, 19s, AP, 5 seater
8/2 - 9/3

7/9 modified order:
MYP, BLACK, WHITE INTERIOR, 21s, AP, 5 seater 8/2 - 9/3

EDD Timeline:
7/13: 8/8 - 8/28
7/14: 8/1 - 8/21
7/15: 8/15 - 9/4
7/16: 8/1 - 8/21
7/23: Grayed out "Review Agreements" button appeared
7/24: 8/8 - 8/28
8/1: 8/3 - 8/21
8/2: 9/5 - 9/25
8/3: 8/5 - 8/21
8/4: 8/6 - 8/21
8/5: 8/7 - 8/21
8/6: 8/8 - 8/21
8/7: 8/9 - 8/21
8/9: 8/10 - 8/21 as of today!

Reactions: You Know Who
Those brands wouldn't be Tesla's main competitors, it would be BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. Tesla is in the Luxury side of things. In my opinion.
I mean yes and no. They're on the luxury side because almost all EVs are priced like luxury cars. At some point, the quality/tech will start to even out a bit more and that will blur. Also, Tesla is going to be making mass market cars ($25k or less). Regardless, the point right now is Tesla really has no legitimate competition. There are some cars that are pretty good (luxury or not), but there really isn't anybody else that can match them for tech/performance/charging. Other companies are going to be able to match these things (or come really close) at some point, though. I still think Tesla has a very unique way they build products that gives them an advantage, but I also know most people in America don't really care about that. If that F150 Lightning takes off, then I think things get really interesting.

I don't necessary agree with that, because if you do 5 year break downs of ICE vehicles against the Teslas, they kind of align with the mid tier vehicles in my opinion. That's just how I saw it, I compared it to a car that we would get if we didn't go electric, Subaru Forester, and the Tesla was only about 10k more for total cost after 5 years. So easy decision. I am not saying Tesla isn't better quality and isn't higher end, I just think people will be switching from ICE cars and may compare them like that. So that's why I don't compare them to luxury, I compare them as a more bang for my buck affordable car....if that makes sense. I always connect luxury with a 75k price tag, idk why that's just me.

I wish they weren't constantly compared to luxury cars, they may feel and drive luxury than others. But you break down the numbers the M3 and MY don't have that seemingly luxury price tag. So I feel like people just hear "Tesla" and think, "That's too luxury, I can't do that" then they by a 35k SUV and end up paying almost the exact same after 5 years.

I feel like I am doing a bad job explaining. Short answer I think the M3 and MY are big upgrades toward the luxury side of things, without the luxury price tag, that's why I don't consider them luxury. That's just my opinion.

From a build quality perspective, Tesla can't yet match BMW, Audi and Mercedes. This is evident just in the difference in sound of closing a door. Right now Tesla's build quality is probably just under Ford/GM/etc, which is still pretty impressive given the relative short time Tesla has been building automobiles versus everyone else.

From a technology standpoint, Tesla is lightyears ahead of everyone else. That gap is going to be more difficult to bridge for the big automakers than it will be for Tesla to bridge the build quality gap between themselves and the luxury automakers. They're not anywhere near that yet, but with each car running down the assembly line they're getting that much closer.

I don't think enough people are paying attention to the charging network issue. Tesla sales are skyrocketing AND they're going to open up Superchargers. In the city of Chicago, there's basically two Supercharging stations that are somewhat-easily accessible, and there's like two other ones in the whole metro area. Unless they have active plans to increase the network by like 10x, charging is going to be a miserable experience.
I don't really know anything about local charging, but last week I took a road trip on I-95 and decided I'd check out some supercharger stations along the way, since it was high traffic summer traveling days. On Saturday going down I stopped at the Rocky Mount SC station, around 4 pm; I-95 was horrible. It has 8 chargers and about 4 were being used, so that was good. Coming back last Friday I stopped at the Chester SC (between Richmond and Petersburg) around 1 pm. There were 8 chargers and only one was being used.

So, it wasn't the Fourth of July or anything, but it was weekend high travel traffic and both were fine. I'm not quite as concerned as I was before. There are hardly any non-Tesla cars out there anyhow, they'll have to buy an adapter so there's some friction to using SCs, and I know Tesla is deploying them like crazy.

I don't necessary agree with that, because if you do 5 year break downs of ICE vehicles against the Teslas, they kind of align with the mid tier vehicles in my opinion. That's just how I saw it, I compared it to a car that we would get if we didn't go electric, Subaru Forester, and the Tesla was only about 10k more for total cost after 5 years. So easy decision. I am not saying Tesla isn't better quality and isn't higher end, I just think people will be switching from ICE cars and may compare them like that. So that's why I don't compare them to luxury, I compare them as a more bang for my buck affordable car....if that makes sense. I always connect luxury with a 75k price tag, idk why that's just me.

I wish they weren't constantly compared to luxury cars, they may feel and drive luxury than others. But you break down the numbers the M3 and MY don't have that seemingly luxury price tag. So I feel like people just hear "Tesla" and think, "That's too luxury, I can't do that" then they by a 35k SUV and end up paying almost the exact same after 5 years.

I feel like I am doing a bad job explaining. Short answer I think the M3 and MY are big upgrades toward the luxury side of things, without the luxury price tag, that's why I don't consider them luxury. That's just my opinion.
I totally agree with you, I'm almost embarrassed at times to tell friends about our Tesla purchase, b/c of the "ohhhh you all are rich" comments...but they drive cars/trucks that are pretty comparable price-wise...I think because all Teslas used to be in the $100K stratosphere that is the stigma.

For those of you that have received the mythical blue button:

What does that feel like? With your words, take me to there. I think all of us non-blue buttoners need that hit of serotonin this AM.
you ever see the movie Blow with jonny depp? his description of smuggling drugs through customs and what he does to get in that proper mindset was how it felt for me.

• Funny
Reactions: potter287
The Y and 3 (and the forthcoming 2) are not luxury cars. Premium? Yes luxury no. The X and S are their luxury vehicles. You can get a well equipped Honda Pilot or Chevy traverse for the price of a Y

That's awesome - no chingasos!! I married into a hispanic family too.

Side note - the guy just did my plug - I can PM you his information if you're interested. Super easy - licensed electrician and he works for SpaceX on the weekends in Brownsville.
Thanks for the offer but I'm already in the works to get it done in the next few days. I stumbled across this guy who installs charging stations for this company (who should not be named in case Tesla is monitoring this thread) and he says he can do it. My problem is the placement of my main electric box, garage, the rock/clay in the Helotes area, and going under a small concrete walkway. Nothing is simple when it comes to me!

Reactions: Imeddy8