Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't necessary agree with that, because if you do 5 year break downs of ICE vehicles against the Teslas, they kind of align with the mid tier vehicles in my opinion. That's just how I saw it, I compared it to a car that we would get if we didn't go electric, Subaru Forester, and the Tesla was only about 10k more for total cost after 5 years. So easy decision. I am not saying Tesla isn't better quality and isn't higher end, I just think people will be switching from ICE cars and may compare them like that. So that's why I don't compare them to luxury, I compare them as a more bang for my buck affordable car....if that makes sense. I always connect luxury with a 75k price tag, idk why that's just me.

I wish they weren't constantly compared to luxury cars, they may feel and drive luxury than others. But you break down the numbers the M3 and MY don't have that seemingly luxury price tag. So I feel like people just hear "Tesla" and think, "That's too luxury, I can't do that" then they by a 35k SUV and end up paying almost the exact same after 5 years.

I feel like I am doing a bad job explaining. Short answer I think the M3 and MY are big upgrades toward the luxury side of things, without the luxury price tag, that's why I don't consider them luxury. That's just my opinion.
definitely don't consider the MY or M3 "luxury"... they're in a class of their own, "tech forward" is the way I look at them. Luxury requires among other things: dealers who bend over backwards to kiss your a$$, supple leather seats and other soft leather materials around the passengers, heads up displays, animated LED's, etc.

If anything the MY is just on the expensive end of the spectrum from a loaded subaru Ascent to compare an EV to an ICE

Price is a really bad indicator of what is a "luxury" vehicle. Not to mention, two people can have completely different weightings for how they value a car. For me, I'd pay a premium for technology. For someone else, they'd pay a premium for performance. Right now, the market is just out of whack because EVs are basically a brand new product, software is becoming such a huge part of the value proposition of a car, and everything is transitioning. Trying to compare a Model Y to a BMW just doesn't make sense, other than comparing prices. I could find you several people right now who would say a Model Y isn't worth $30k, but would pay $80k for some BMW that I would never touch.
I have a BMW right now, and i could tell you, the x1 is not worth the $48,600 price tag i paid for it. I feel like the MY is super quiet, has great performance, and man-oh-man are the seats so much more comfortable. Leather is hard, and stiff, makes your b*tt hurt after 2 hours of driving. Also my 24miles per gallon i hate, it fill up a lot.

I mean yes and no. They're on the luxury side because almost all EVs are priced like luxury cars. At some point, the quality/tech will start to even out a bit more and that will blur. Also, Tesla is going to be making mass market cars ($25k or less). Regardless, the point right now is Tesla really has no legitimate competition. There are some cars that are pretty good (luxury or not), but there really isn't anybody else that can match them for tech/performance/charging. Other companies are going to be able to match these things (or come really close) at some point, though. I still think Tesla has a very unique way they build products that gives them an advantage, but I also know most people in America don't really care about that. If that F150 Lightning takes off, then I think things get really interesting.
I don't think anybody is ever catching Tesla. They're already a generation ahead, next year when there are legitimate options to the 3/Y Tesla will jump up to 4680, and whenever that happens introduce the $25K car and be stamping out cybertrucks. I think it's possible GM and Ford are already dead men walking; they are too far behind NOW and are only now making decisions about production and raw materials Elon made 3 years ago. A year from now when he's operating at scale with the 4680 and all the giga-presses in place he can almost set whatever price he wants.

And GM better have all their marketing and lobbyists working as hard as they can AGAINST a new tax credit, because if the Model 2 is selling for effectively $15K it's literally game over.

I mean yes and no. They're on the luxury side because almost all EVs are priced like luxury cars. At some point, the quality/tech will start to even out a bit more and that will blur. Also, Tesla is going to be making mass market cars ($25k or less). Regardless, the point right now is Tesla really has no legitimate competition. There are some cars that are pretty good (luxury or not), but there really isn't anybody else that can match them for tech/performance/charging. Other companies are going to be able to match these things (or come really close) at some point, though. I still think Tesla has a very unique way they build products that gives them an advantage, but I also know most people in America don't really care about that. If that F150 Lightning takes off, then I think things get really interesting.
The F-150 Lightning exhibits all the features inherent in a robust EV design, adds the workhorse factor, and hails from a trusted mfr. The ICE F-150 outsells EVERY vehicle in North America and many of them COMBINED. There are reasons for that.
When you can run your HOUSE on your vehicle, take it on camping trips with creature comforts, and still transport your family in comfort (seen the truck interiors these days?), the lightbulb pops in people's minds. That's the F-150 Lightning.
Tesla is pursuing a maximum pressure program on automakers by addressing many market segments. With the M2 and then CT, those bases get covered.
Then the game gets interesting. Tesla is betting the farm.....can GM, Ford, Stellaxxx stay relevant? If Tesla is successful, maybe only in a reduced fashion.
Uncle Joe is trying the prod them and will be handling out big $$$ to them. Your tax dollars - well spent ?

Reactions: ajs847
Switched my order from a MYLR to a MYP and have noticed that the expected delivery dates have been all over the place, same as they were when I was under the long-range order. Initially projected 6-8 weeks, then Tesla was showing a range of August 20 - September 4, went back to 6-8 weeks, then back to a range of August 22 - September 10. Anyone having a similar experience with their MYP order? My original MR order was 7/27 and was changed to the performance model on 8/5. Order is for a MYP white/black interior going to Knoxville, TN.

Attachments

• IMG_9945.PNG
    IMG_9945.PNG
    389.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9838.PNG
    IMG_9838.PNG
    389.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9824.PNG
    IMG_9824.PNG
    392.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9774.PNG
    IMG_9774.PNG
    384.5 KB · Views: 38
As there isn't much activity or changes today. Let's see if we can have some conversation. Please reply to this and state why you are waiting so much for your car. It could be that you don't have a car and need one now. Or it could just be that, I bought it and I want it and it's okay and feel free to state that.

My reason. I wasn't in a hurry before. I ordered on June 3 and wasn't active that much and used to check EDD rarely. I had 2 cars and was planning to replace one of them. Got a good price for my car and sold it to CarMax. I was able to live with one car as we work from home most of the time and me and wife don't need to commute on same day. Unfortunately it got rear ended on June 18th by a FREAKING girl who was on her phone and going 85 on a 55. Her insurance provided me a rental car but I took to my preferred body shop so the insurance is giving me hard time in extending rental and only give one or two day extensions only citing that the body shop isn't sending information fast. Having a hard time trying to talk to both body shop and insurance and keeping my rental. I'm just vexed and want my tesla so I don't need to deal with these.
I’m waiting on my MY because I complained too much about “living at the gas station” in my Acadia, so my husband sold it to Carvana 😂 now we’re a one car crew and he’s already tired of sharing his truck lol

Reactions: MBx4 and potter287
I have a BMW right now, and i could tell you, the x1 is not worth the $48,600 price tag i paid for it. I feel like the MY is super quiet, has great performance, and man-oh-man are the seats so much more comfortable. Leather is hard, and stiff, makes your b*tt hurt after 2 hours of driving. Also my 24miles per gallon i hate, it fill up a lot.
Right, and I would never pay $50k (or $40k or $80k) for a BMW, but I would for a MY. What I'm saying is that "luxury" has typically been assigned to cars with certain characteristics (build quality, cabin noise, interior quality, performance, etc.). The Model Y, at least as far as I can tell, does not have the characteristics of what a "luxury" car typically has. That doesn't mean it should be priced higher or lower, though, as it's just a completely different kind of car. It's totally fair to say that it should or shouldn't be priced similar to a typical "luxury" car, but that's really just a matter of opinion. Like I said, I find it absolutely stupid and insane that an F-150 could be priced at $80k+...but I also can totally understand why some people might value that truck in a way that justifies it.

I would absolutely never pay $60k for a car if I didn't feel like it was "worth" the price. Right now, given the EV market and the lead Tesla has on technology, I would justify the price tag. If it weren't for that, I would buy another Tucson once I needed a new car.

Reactions: CSTARZZ
I just found out Tesla is not luxury. It's "Premium" like mazda and toyota.

We'll start by saying that many people, including those on the Tesla team, don't consider its cars luxury vehicles, but that's not the point here.

Tesla calls its cars "premium," since they're more expensive than most competing vehicles and arguably more "premium" than many mainstream, non-luxury cars. Nonetheless, Tesla's cars are lumped into the luxury category by automotive reviewing websites, as well as almost all automotive rankings and awards.

Despite the fact that Tesla's cars aren't nearly as nice inside as cars made by German luxury brands, Tesla is making big waves in the segment on our shores. In fact, Tesla just passed Audi as the fourth-largest luxury car brand in the U.S. based on 2020 registration data. While Tesla is still behind the top three luxury automakers in the States, it doesn't have too far to go to catch up and surpass its rivals.

Tesla registered about 200,500 cars in the U.S. in 2020. Meanwhile, Audi registered about 183,600. In 2019, Audi registered nearly 50,000 more vehicles in the U.S. than Tesla.

Reactions: MBx4
definitely don't consider the MY or M3 "luxury"... they're in a class of their own, "tech forward" is the way I look at them. Luxury requires among other things: dealers who bend over backwards to kiss your a$$, supple leather seats and other soft leather materials around the passengers, heads up displays, animated LED's, etc.

If anything the MY is just on the expensive end of the spectrum from a loaded subaru Ascent to compare an EV to an ICE
I think the Tesla brand has some stickiness from the original Ss and Xs which were definitely in the luxury ballpark. It's funny, when Honda and Toyota wanted to go 'luxury' they had to invent new brands; but Tesla started out luxury and is pulling that image down into mid-range. I bet even when the $25K car comes out it'll still retain a little Tesla 'chic' appeal.

I've actually speculated whether they'd introduce a different brand for that car in case it has to deviate too far from what Elon considers mandatory levels of performance.

I was career active duty AF too. Mostly as a KC-135 nav, but also went to AFIT and along the way did about six years at Wright Patt in program management. LA and Boston area, I'm going to guess you're at Hanscom and are somehow associated with AFMC!
Yup, precisely. Back in an AFMC billet doing the PM thing, previously AFSPC (now Space Force) when I was in LA.

I don't really know anything about local charging, but last week I took a road trip on I-95 and decided I'd check out some supercharger stations along the way, since it was high traffic summer traveling days. On Saturday going down I stopped at the Rocky Mount SC station, around 4 pm; I-95 was horrible. It has 8 chargers and about 4 were being used, so that was good. Coming back last Friday I stopped at the Chester SC (between Richmond and Petersburg) around 1 pm. There were 8 chargers and only one was being used.

So, it wasn't the Fourth of July or anything, but it was weekend high travel traffic and both were fine. I'm not quite as concerned as I was before. There are hardly any non-Tesla cars out there anyhow, they'll have to buy an adapter so there's some friction to using SCs, and I know Tesla is deploying them like crazy.
Even with Tesla opening up their charging network to all comers, friction will remain and non-Tesla volume will be a while catching up.
But Tesla will be the favorite target for charging, so traffic volume will rise. It's just better located, easier operated, and just better.
The good news is Tesla won't open up if not paid to do it. The Infrastructure bill is that payday for Tesla. Elon Musk is the MASTER at milking govt subsidies.

I don't really know anything about local charging, but last week I took a road trip on I-95 and decided I'd check out some supercharger stations along the way, since it was high traffic summer traveling days. On Saturday going down I stopped at the Rocky Mount SC station, around 4 pm; I-95 was horrible. It has 8 chargers and about 4 were being used, so that was good. Coming back last Friday I stopped at the Chester SC (between Richmond and Petersburg) around 1 pm. There were 8 chargers and only one was being used.

So, it wasn't the Fourth of July or anything, but it was weekend high travel traffic and both were fine. I'm not quite as concerned as I was before. There are hardly any non-Tesla cars out there anyhow, they'll have to buy an adapter so there's some friction to using SCs, and I know Tesla is deploying them like crazy.
I make the DC-Raleigh drive at least monthly. Never had issues. The Warner Rd SC in Petersburg has really helped as well. M3 SR+ used to be two stops. That makes it an easy 1.

The Rocky Mount SC is annoying in that it is so far off the highway - having to head East before making the final stretch into Raleigh adds ~30-40 minutes even if you're only charging for a quick 15.

Switched my order from a MYLR to a MYP and have noticed that the expected delivery dates have been all over the place, same as they were when I was under the long-range order. Initially projected 6-8 weeks, then Tesla was showing a range of August 20 - September 4, went back to 6-8 weeks, then back to a range of August 22 - September 10. Anyone having a similar experience with their MYP order? My original MR order was 7/27 and was changed to the performance model on 8/5. Order is for a MYP white/black interior going to Knoxville, TN.
Yep! Pretty much in the same boat as you! Ordered MYLR 7/26 and then decided might as well get what I really want, and ordered the MYP on 8/2. MYLR edd was November, and the MYP edd started off as 9/8 - 9/30 and today it's 8/26 - 9/24.

I think the Tesla brand has some stickiness from the original Ss and Xs which were definitely in the luxury ballpark. It's funny, when Honda and Toyota wanted to go 'luxury' they had to invent new brands; but Tesla started out luxury and is pulling that image down into mid-range. I bet even when the $25K car comes out it'll still retain a little Tesla 'chic' appeal.

I've actually speculated whether they'd introduce a different brand for that car in case it has to deviate too far from what Elon considers mandatory levels of performance.
Well the key with Tesla is they've focused their energy on the things they've found people care about the most. I mean I can't speak for the rest of the country, but it's pretty remarkable to compare a Tesla with just about any other car out there purely from an interface perspective. I couldn't even tell you how many physical buttons I have on my Tucson, but I'd say about 90% of them I've never or almost never pressed. Tesla has removed almost all of them, and put the relevant ones into software. It sort of seems like a small thing, but then you remember as a business and a team of designers/engineers/etc., you've just dramatically reduced the number of "things" you need to consider when you build a car and make improvements. Think of how much time, effort, and money most legacy car manufacturers spend this year just to build some stupid button that changes some setting on a car that 99% of owners will never press.

Thanks for the offer but I'm already in the works to get it done in the next few days. I stumbled across this guy who installs charging stations for this company (who should not be named in case Tesla is monitoring this thread) and he says he can do it. My problem is the placement of my main electric box, garage, the rock/clay in the Helotes area, and going under a small concrete walkway. Nothing is simple when it comes to me!
No problem. I had plenty of juice capacity on the line into the garage to my sub-panel so they upgraded the breaker outside and put in a 50A breaker in my box which had a lot of room so luckily, for me, mine was pretty straight forward.

We're cross-shopping the MYLR with the BMW X3, Mercedes GLB, and the Audi Q5 (and the VW ID.4, but that is definitely not luxury). Similarly configured, those three "luxury" small SUVs are all right around the same price: $55k. I get what you're saying about cost of ownership, but the biggest component of that, which is depreciation, is still a mystery for the MY so it's hard to compare. Price out-the-door is similar to what most would consider luxury brands with higher-end trims.
I did not know that. To be honest, I am one of those people that hear the brand name and like, that’s too expensive. When I was younger and figuring out my life, I as like “I am going to own an Audi” and thought they were 65k at the minimum. Then when I got to a point where I could afford a “higher” end car, in 2019, I knew it had to be electric. So that took a lot off the table, and I couldn’t do a M3 because it didn’t fit family needs but the newly announced MY, perfect.

Fast forward to this spring, there are a few that meet the criteria, E-tron, Mach E, ID.4 but had to preorder and the MY. Mach E the charging curve is bad. E-tron the price tag is bad for the range. And the ID.4 was barely out in the wild, a little on the more basic side and didn’t have a lot of real world experience.

So I never really did research on the non electric luxury cars, put me in that category of people who hear a brand and assume it is too expensive 😂

I’m currently in a plug-in BMW 330. I would say the MY is a step down from the BMW from a luxury standpoint, but it’s not a huge one. Price is roughly equivalent (well if I didn’t get FSD it would be). I actually really like the car and hate getting rid of it, I’m a sedan guy, but because the battery is under the trunk there is really no space for anything - like two suitcases, a duffel bag, and that’s it. Fit and finish is definitely better in the BMW, but obviously technology is miles ahead in the Tesla. Will miss CarPlay and the HUD though.

When we put the order for the Y in in June our life circumstances were going to be very different and we absolutely needed a bigger car (long story short the one baby was supposed to be two babies). Now that we just have the one baby, we could make the BMW (or a Model 3) work, but we have the order in for a the Y and are going to keep it. Wife is less sold, but since I do almost all the driving she’s deferring to me.