Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They were talking about this on a morning news podcast I listen to with my kids and girlfriend and all were like is it safe, and I said yes, everything they are talking about is some driver who was most likely not paying attention, like they should have, like the autopilot tells you to do even though its doing some of the tasks. I even said I bet its some oil/gas companies trying to push the fed to investigate because they see their profits drying up, to which my kids responded... "are there anymore waffles?"

so there is that...
I hear the cereal companies are saying waffles are bad for you

You can't renew online? Texas you get an inspection with a number on it at an inspection location (Valvoline, Jiffy Lube, etc). Go home, log into the website, plug that all in, give them your credit card, and magic - sticker shows up in the mail.
In Maryland renewals are all online, thank goodness. But when I first moved here and had to get new plates I went to one of those local companies that will do it all for you. In Germany at Kaiserslautern it was literally an all day experience. In fact, it wasn't unusual for someone to go in the morning, sit there all day, and not get their registration and plates.

I've seen a bunch of your tire comments and your self-description as a "tire nerd." Would you mind providing a recommendation? I'm in the Northeast and typically have kept 2 sets of rims/tires for winter vs the rest of the time. So with the standard 19" Gemini on the LR, those would likely remain my 3 season combo and I am interested in your input for a winter rim/tire combo (taking into consideration price and performance, and least priority for me, but to satisfy my wife - aesthetics). Any advice or specific products to consider?

I am definitely not a tire nerd, and the extent of my knowledge is that winter tires help A LOT in the snow, and way more than what most think they are getting when purchasing a car with AWD. Hoping I can learn from the expert!
Well, we don't even have a Tesla yet and I have done a couple deep dives into what wheel/tire set ups I feel like would be best. I don't know fully your personal situation, but having experienced winter in the greater Boston area it definitely snows and gets fricking cold, but we don't live in the middle of nowhere so plowing and salting is plentiful.

That being said, my set up on my 2015 Prius: Michelin X-Ice Snow (non-studded) for my winter set up, on 16" wheels (smallest wheel possible to fit over brakes). The Prius w/ winter tires becomes a straight up monster in the winter, seriously amazing. There was at least one storm where people were sliding off the road on fresh snow/ice all around me on the highway, and I could not, for the life of me, break grip. Yes I tried, yes, it was sophomoric and my wife yelled at me. The the car maintained grip in nearly boring way. I use Michelin X-Tour AS T+H for my three season set up, on stock 17" wheels. These are all season (AS) highway + terrain (H+T) tires, which basically means it has little rubber knuckles on the sides if you go gravel-roading. X-Tour is same as Defender, just separate model name for Costco Tire. I have no loyalty to Michelin - they make fantastic tires but I bought them mainly because they were the best deal for semi-premium tires. I try to stay away from the cheapo-cheap tires without a ton of review/tests.

For your winter wheel set up, I always suggest smallest wheel possible that fits over your brakes, slightly narrower wheels, and a size that gives you a good selection of tires that fit it. 18" and 19" wheels (x 8.5" width) are good places to start. There are tons of good winter tires out there, I prefer a trusted/tested tire like Nokian Hakkapeliitta (the OG snow tire!), Bridgestone Blizzak, or Michelin X-Ice, whatever is a good deal when I'm shopping. That's just a start, there are many companies make fantastic winter tires, just look for the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol. Small wheels give you more sidewall for pothole protection, more curb protection, lighter weight, slightly better grip in snow, etc.

I'm pretty sure they just literally will not let EDD ranges extend between quarters. Mine has consistently been at a 20 day range, but as soon as the front moved to 9/17, the range shrunk to 13 days to keep it in the quarter. You should probably think of yours as something more like 9/27 - 10/17.
My date has been consistently at 9/16 - 9/30 since June. It changed during the second wave of OCTOBER. Ever since the correction it has been stuck on 9/27 - 9/30.

Can’t call myself a tire nerd, but I would consider running the stock 19s through the winters until they need replacing, at which time I would put dedicated winters on the 19 wheels. In the meantime, take your time shopping for some nicer weather tires/rims - they don’t have to be super low profile rough riders, but dedicated summer tires are so much nicer to drive (even in NJ).

Just my 2 cents. I typically do nearly 6 months on dedicated winters (in Minnesota our average temps are below 50F for about that every year) and then put on some better performers for the construction summer season.
Thanks!

Reactions: E30-4ME
Well, we don't even have a Tesla yet and I have done a couple deep dives into what wheel/tire set ups I feel like would be best. I don't know fully your personal situation, but having experienced winter in the greater Boston area it definitely snows and gets fricking cold, but we don't live in the middle of nowhere so plowing and salting is plentiful.

That being said, my set up on my 2015 Prius: Michelin X-Ice Snow (non-studded) for my winter set up, on 16" wheels (smallest wheel possible to fit over brakes). The Prius w/ winter tires becomes a straight up monster in the winter, seriously amazing. There was at least one storm where people were sliding off the road on fresh snow/ice all around me on the highway, and I could not, for the life of me, break grip. Yes I tried, yes, it was sophomoric and my wife yelled at me. The the car maintained grip in nearly boring way. I use Michelin X-Tour AS T+H for my three season set up, on stock 17" wheels. These are all season (AS) highway + terrain (H+T) tires, which basically means it has little rubber knuckles on the sides if you go gravel-roading. X-Tour is same as Defender, just separate model name for Costco Tire. I have no loyalty to Michelin - they make fantastic tires but I bought them mainly because they were the best deal for semi-premium tires. I try to stay away from the cheapo-cheap tires without a ton of review/tests.

For your winter wheel set up, I always suggest smallest wheel possible that fits over your brakes, slightly narrower wheels, and a size that gives you a good selection of tires that fit it. 18" and 19" wheels (x 8.5" width) are good places to start. There are tons of good winter tires out there, I prefer a trusted/tested tire like Nokian Hakkapeliitta (the OG snow tire!), Bridgestone Blizzak, or Michelin X-Ice, whatever is a good deal when I'm shopping. That's just a start, there are many companies make fantastic winter tires, just look for the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol. Small wheels give you more sidewall for pothole protection, more curb protection, lighter weight, slightly better grip in snow, etc.
Second this, winter is just brutal on cars here in the Chicago burbs. Our roads are trash on a good day and after a season of freeze/ thaw and plows opening up potholes you can sink your mother in law in they get absolutely brutal. (see my comment earlier re: 2 seasons here: winter & construction).

Anyway, I always go smallest wheel and biggest tire sidewall with a relatively narrow width that could put down the power. My 2 previous BMW SUV's were 400hp+ (x3M and x5 50i) so I had to make sure even though I was giving the car a fighting chance to survive our potholes I had to make sure I wasn't compromising performance. My winter tire of choice has been off the Pirelli line, even though I typically chose the ultra high performance winter tire, they seemed to handle great since I had so much tread depth to handle the worst snow & ice storms we've had here north of chicago.

This is super helpful, thanks so much! When looking at rims, how would I be able to tell if they fit over the brakes, or if the lugs (maybe this isn't the correct term) line up correctly?

Reactions: PatrickTM