Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m with you on the reasoning level. Don’t need it, but like everyone,; want is the problem. Lol. I do like those induction wheels. Hmmm
I agree, they look good. BUT they have a harsher ride, and are more susceptible to curb rash. (I'd rather have a softer ride with 18" wheels if that was available)
The MYP also sits one inch lower so you have less ground clearance.

So the MYP isn't an upgrade in all matters. But Tesla figured out a good way to gauge $5-7k extra from a lot of people for something they wouldn't otherwise get. Good for them. ;)

Same here ... no chance in hell I would use Plaid, found a workaround to just enter routing#/acct# but still don't trust it and it's besides the point.
I'm taking delivery on 8/26 and just got back from the bank with a cashiers check payable to "Tesla Inc."; you also need to have your name and RN# on check's memo. I would suggest you to do the same ... in addition, it's easier to keep the check if you reject the car during inspection for whatever reason and have to deal with Tesla repairs, delivery reschedule, etc. etc. etc.

I just used the work-around method of manually entering routing/accounting. I feel this is no less secure than any other Electronic Transfer options (i.e. paying utilities bills online). Worst-case scenario is that it only affects a single checking account instead of a credential that you potentially have multiple accounts under.

1. I don't think the crashes are the fault of the carmaker. The govt doesn't think this either. That's why there is an investigation. The purpose to collect evidence and determine causes of the problem of people crashing their cars into emergency vehicles, and recommend actions (spanning the spectrum from recall to no action). If they actually thought this is the fault of the carmaker they'd issue an immediate recall. What the problem is training, education, marketing, and communications (my opinion).

2. No car does self driving. That is not a lie, and that is not an opinion. This type of thinking could lead people to take unnecessary risks.

So far as I understand, whether it's Tesla or Acura or XYZ carmaker, you need to have hands on wheel, foot at the ready, paying full attention to take over immediate control at any given time. In other words, 100% driver-driving, 0% self-driving. Does everyone operate this way? Hell no. Ultimately, yes, it's the driver's responsibility, but somewhere along the line people think their cars have some form of "self-driving". I have no problem with the govt standardizing the driver assistance language amongst different carmakers to get rid of confusion/misinformation.

Pretty soon we are going to see Level 2 driver assistance in every car. Without standardization and regulation I can easily see a future where Tesla has one definition of "full self driving capability", Toyota potentially calling it "full self driving ability", and Honda calling it "full self driving superpilot" (or some other confusion language)...and every single one of those systems operating differently, requiring different amounts of driver input. It's a complex problem with lots of variables, and whatever regulation is recommended needs to be evidence based, and collecting/analyzing evidence takes time and money. IMO not a waste of money, and I have not seen evidence to suggest this is some nefarious plot funded by ICE makers to kill off Tesla.
What I meant by self driving in my response is something similar to AP where the car accelerates, slows down and will follow the lane. My XC 90 will even merge into a lane if I signal and turn the wheel halfway into the lane and every minute or so, it will flash me to put my hands on the wheel if it doesn't sense it. I don't consider AP self driving as it prompts you to put your hands on the steering after some time from videos I've seen. I don't know about FSD but I believe the article was more about AP. If they're talking about AP, then they shouldn't consider that self driving. FSD maybe.
I guess the name autopilot doesn't help either. Planes on AP fly themselves so make sense people will expect car on AP to "drive themselves".

I agree, they look good. BUT they have a harsher ride, and are more susceptible to curb rash. (I'd rather have a softer ride with 18" wheels if that was available)
The MYP also sits one inch lower so you have less ground clearance.

So the MYP isn't an upgrade in all matters. But Tesla figured out a good way to gauge $5-7k extra from a lot of people for something they wouldn't otherwise get. Good for them. ;)
Not to trigger another 'finances' discussion, but I personally believe that 70+ HP and 130+ lb-ft torque, upgraded suspension, upgraded brakes, upgraded reals, and a real carbon fiber spoiler is worth the $7k difference to me. Not sure it would make sense for me if the difference was $10k. It's worth it for me because I drive my cars hard - extra power is nice, good suspension is important, extra stopping power is crucial.

I get that the horsepower is just being "unlocked", but auto manufacturers do this with turbos all the time (think Carrera vs. S vs. GTS these days) and I query how often they even upgrade the internals accordingly.

Someone talk me off of the MYP LEDGE? I am so tempted to spend the extra $5K and switch my MYLR to a Performance model. Seeing all these VIN's go out for P's is out of control. lol. Talk me down folks.
Jump! Lol... If you can go all in with an extra $70K you can get one of the billion MS Plaids that just came into inventory. Haha no don't do that.

The problem is the media completely overreacting to the news every time. They always get the facts wrong and the headlines are so sensational. I get articles sent to me all the time from my family who know I have a Tesla and it's so annoying. It seems like everyone who isn't an enthusiast sees these stories and believes Tesla's have "serious safety issues" and it's kind of exhausting to try to explain the reality of the situation.
I agree. The last 3 articles in the New York Times about Tesla are:
  • Tesla Sells ‘Full Self-Driving,’ but What Is It Really?
  • U.S. Will Investigate Tesla’s Autopilot System Over Crashes With Emergency Vehicles
  • ‘It Happened So Fast’: Inside a Fatal Tesla Autopilot Accident
I don't understand all the Tesla hate.

Reactions: Rovin and PatrickTM
I agree. The last 3 articles in the New York Times about Tesla are:
  • Tesla Sells ‘Full Self-Driving,’ but What Is It Really?
  • U.S. Will Investigate Tesla’s Autopilot System Over Crashes With Emergency Vehicles
  • ‘It Happened So Fast’: Inside a Fatal Tesla Autopilot Accident
I don't understand all the Tesla hate.
It sells. Hate sells. Things that are popular and you can find one critique sell. - this is one of our base emotions, and many things are exploiting it.

Reactions: PatrickTM
What I meant by self driving in my response is something similar to AP where the car accelerates, slows down and will follow the lane. My XC 90 will even merge into a lane if I signal and turn the wheel halfway into the lane and every minute or so, it will flash me to put my hands on the wheel if it doesn't sense it. I don't consider AP self driving as it prompts you to put your hands on the steering after some time from videos I've seen. I don't know about FSD but I believe the article was more about AP. If they're talking about AP, then they shouldn't consider that self driving. FSD maybe.
I guess the name autopilot doesn't help either. Planes on AP fly themselves so make sense people will expect car on AP to "drive themselves".
Ah, yes, I understand where you're coming from. Calling the current driver assist feature FSD...that I also don't agree with. I think it's Elon pushing the envelope on marketing hype, waiting for the govt to call his bluff on it.

You know, I have more of an issue against the term "FSD" than AP. I've been exposed to some aviation knowledge, and AP has very specific meaning in the rated community. The pilots take an insane amount of training to understand AP on their specific aircraft and how to appropriately use AP (and when not to use AP). Everyone knows that it's a pilot assistance tool, relieving the pilot of certain mundane repetitive control tasks so they can better focus on other safety, mission, and system tasks. It's not a pilot replacement or "full self-flying capability" (though no one calls it that haha, for good reason). It is absolutely 100% the pilot operating the aircraft and 100% pilot responsibility to take flight controls at any given moment, immediately, for a host of reasons. There's been some very devastating accidents recently where some form of AP was used in situations where it failed catastrophically, and the pilot did not know either what was happening or how adequately take back control (737 Max crashes, Air France 447 crash). The 737 Max crashes are so relatable because it was software on the planes that pilots were not educated/trained on. Pilots take recurring training annually or something, because even the best trained pilots forget certain emergency scenarios and lose skill over time. Just like drivers. Comparing Tesla AP to aviation AP, the name makes complete sense to me, but they need to do a better job of educating folks. Sending them an email to watch a 3 min video prior to taking delivery is not going to cut it for a lot of the driving population.

So yes and no. In my case I paid the $250 for it and then contacted my SA. She said because it was the same spec they could “merge” it. They did refund me the $250. But because the car was in St Louis they did say that I would have to pay to transport it or pick it up there. It cost $500 to transport it. I justified it because when I changed my order from blue to white it decreased my price by $500 so I essentially broke even from my original order so oh well.

I do want to point out that for the last month I have been in contact with my SA and have talked about how this scenario would play out extensively. Not sure if the order fee thing is common or if it was something else, and the order fee was a concern of mine. The transport fee caught me off guard but I get it-ish, but I did break even somewhat and I just wanted to be done with it all.
Aren't you also having to pay the current price ($54k) vs. the price back in early June ($52k)?

Reactions: AK_MYP
WOAH Plaids for sale!!!

Attachments

• 1629836768492.png
    1629836768492.png
    589 KB · Views: 69