Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to post an update since I picked up my car earlier this week.

As a refresher, I'm one of the apostates who jumped the line with an inventory car. Here's a picture of the car:
IMG_0964.jpeg

After I placed the inventory order, I got a text the next day asking me to schedule pickup. Pickup was scheduled for 9/2 (today).

Then on Monday I got a text saying the car was ready to be picked up early. I immediately responded "YES" and got a call within 10 minutes from the Glenn Allen, VA SC. They said I could pick it up as early as 3PM.

The delivery process was as easy as others have indicated, even with a trade-in. I inspected the car (didn't use a checklist). I didn't see any panel gap issues or any issues with the interior. Everything looked perfect.

With that backstory, here are my initial impressions about the car itself:
  1. One petal driving is definitely an adjustment but by the 3rd day I was totally acclimated.
  2. Autopilot is surprisingly intuitive and much more like driving with cruise control than I expected. I used it 70% of the time on my 2 hour drive back home.
  3. Autopilot definitely has some foibles - brakes too aggressively for cars on the shoulder. Phantom breaks randomly. Hugs the right side of the lane when the lane widens. Hugs the left side of the lane a bit more closely than I would prefer during regular driving.
  4. The phantom breaking hasn't been unsettling to me and it doesn't happen often - really I think it's mostly because I have been using it on roads that aren't actually highways or in mountains where there are tight turns and hills that crest where you don't have vision. I think if you know it happens and expect it, it's fine. It's not slamming on the breaks, just dropping from 70 to 50 uncomfortably fast.
  5. The ride quality is fantastic, even with he 20" induction wheels. I would never describe it as rigid or bumpy. It's appropriately sporty. Much smoother than the BMW 328i I traded in.
  6. Seats are incredibly comfortable.
  7. It will take me months to remember where all of the discrete settings are. I found Joe Mode the other day and haven't found it again. (Also haven't googled it :p)
  8. The ultrasonic sensors make parallel parking way less stressful. Especially with black rims.
  9. The torque is insane and available at all speeds and it's amazing. I highly doubt I'll be springing for the acceleration boost anytime soon.
That's about it.

I'll reiterate that it's totally worth it because oh my god are these cars are amazing. Even if I had had to wait until October or November there's no scenario where I would have regretted it.

I explained it to a friend this way: Tesla is the company making the best cars you can drive with the worst ordering process.

I think the bad ordering process creeps into your psyche. I found myself doubting whether the car was going to be worth the effort, or whether a company that couldn't accurately estimate a delivery window could really make a solid product.

But yes they can and yes you will forgive them when you take delivery just like everyone else in this forum :)
TIL about Joe Mode ( I had to google it)

With a daughter who rarely falls asleep in the car, when she does it is invaluable and if anything wakes her up it gets smashed. This alone is a reason to get the car.

Thoughts of the day:

* Kodak scoffed at digital cameras saying the quality could never surpass film
* Blackberry ridiculed Apple saying nobody would ever want a phone without tactile keys
* ICE owners mock EV owners saying nobody would ever want to drive an electric car
Dont forget data centers and cloud, blockbuster and netflix, delivery and digiorno...oh wait....

Haha you know, life has weird way of messing with plans, and still no kids yet!

Since selling the WRX hatchback that I obsessed over and worshipped, now I'm just riding the natural depreciation curve of my lovely 2015 Prius.
I think I'll still miss my STi after (if) I ever get the Y. It's been 4ish years without her and I still remember. And no one acknowledges me when I drive past them in the same car anymore. Why don't the other VW Golf owners give the salute?

Hello my fellow MY waitees. Day 94 from OD May 31 for a Mt Kisco delivery. I wrote my SA and order support at the DC and no answer so far. EDD is still 9/11-30 (changed to that 5 days Ago).

my kids have extended their lease month to month waiting for my ICE car. They are really grateful to get my genesis G 80 but now might be regretting it because they are continuing to pay for their lease on their old car.

I can’t complain in real life so I’m simply inwardly frustrated by the lateness and total lack of communication from my vendor. I’m the customer! How dare they? And am I some kind of a wimp that I stand for this? Patience is a virtue, so I’ve heard. Bullshit. Gimme my damn VIN!

Well, we are trying to predict the future here, so anything could happen. Yes, EA stations are getting built at a faster rate than superchargers today. Good likelihood it'll surpass superchargers in number of stations at some point. But the wild card is when/if superchargers get opened to full public. That'll be a huge injection of cash and demand for the Tesla supercharger program, and I can see a scenario where they go into a massive growth spurt.

And v3 superchargers are sw limited to 250kw, I believe. They can go higher once Tesla cars can accept higher. And peak kw is not necessarily the end-all-be-all. Taycan charging at 300 kw is marginally faster charging than a Model 3 P charging at 150 kw because of efficiency.
This is a cool comparison of charging curves of different EVs. What is cool is that you can see that while the Taycan maintains higher peak charge, over 10 mins it gets 126km to M3LR's 149km. Over 20mins they're about the same at 221km vs 217km.

EV charging curves and peaks are fun for nerds like me but I do think the eTron flat curve is best for new EV drivers since it mostly maintains 150kw for the whole curve and is easy to understand. It would eliminate all of the "Why is my charging speed so slow?!?!?" threads where you have to repeat over and over again that, battery SoC, preconditioning, temperature, sharing a cabinet (V2) all impact charge rate.

1630605635713.png

1630605650803.png

Reference: P3 Charging Index: Comparison of the fast charging capability of various electric vehicles from an user perspective - Update 2021 -

I keep reading all about DCU. Are you telling me when you go to pay, you can talk to your SA about matching a rate you got elsewhere (like DCU) and they'll match it?
I will share the entire process I went through personally to get financed through Tesla (Chase, actually) at 1.24% for 72 months in case anyone is looking for the full process. If you're not interested, feel free to scroll on :)

• When I ordered the MY, I had the SA set it to cash in case it took more than 60 days (HA!) to get the car which would mean another hit on credit, etc., and really no reason to apply for financing at all until after you get your VIN.
  • Once I got my VIN, I called my SA and asked him to switch me to third party financing which he did and the change showed up on my account instantly after I refreshed. I applied to be a member at DCU on their website and was approved. Had to start a savings and checking funded with minimum amount, as well as donate $10 to a charity to get that whole process started.
  • Once approved as member (next day after I applied), I applied for loan - 65 months (72 months goes to a higher rate so apply for the 65 month). Got approved instantly at 1.99% - had to call (2 hour wait, did call back option) to let them know I wanted to set up direct deposit for the 0.5% rate discount, and since it was an EV, another .25%. She then confirmed I would be approved at 1.24%.
  • I had to wait for the MVPA to update in my Tesla account (which took a few hours) to show DCU as the lender and the amount financed, etc.
  • Uploaded that MVPA to DCU's document uploads section in my new member account screen.
  • Called DCU the next morning to confirm they had everything the needed from me in order to finalize the loan.
  • Got the docusign email later that day showing the terms of the loan at 65 months and 1.24%.
  • Called my SA again, had him switch me to Tesla financing, which again was instant after I refreshed.
  • I applied through Tesla and was approved instantly with Chase at 2.49%.
  • Took a screenshot of my docusign loan doc from DCU showing the rate and terms and emailed [email protected]the following email with a subject line that included my RN number and a request to rate match:
    • I have approved financing through Tesla/Chase Bank for 2.49%, and I was able to get approved through DCU at 1.24% but I would rather stick with a Tesla Preferred Partner for financing if you are able to match the rate. Please see attached and confirm once the rate has been matched for 1.24% at 72 months through Chase. Thank you so much in advance for your help!
  • They emailed the next day with confirmation I was approved to have my rate matched.
  • Logged into my Tesla account and sure enough - rate was there - 1.24% at 72 months, new payment was listed, and I hit the confirm button and I am good to go! Financing is approved and complete and delivery date is set. Can't wait for next Saturday!

I’m getting 34 panels and 3 power walls. It’s been absolute hell, to be honest. Tesla as been snaps pace slow on submitting documents, which has delayed the build to now… 7 months. We’ve had our financing expire once, and will again on October 1st. That being said, Tesla just submitted our build to our local utilities for approval, so soon as we hear back with the approval, we should be about 2 weeks out from starting the installation. Stay tuned! LOL
I like the idea of going solar, but it seems the ROI is 20+ years. And at that, the amount of return is low. When I also ran the numbers, it just didn’t make scense. My power bill in the summer today maxes out at $200/mo. The rest of the time it’s around $110-$150/mo. What‘s your monthly power bill?

I will share the entire process I went through personally to get financed through Tesla (Chase, actually) at 1.24% for 72 months in case anyone is looking for the full process. If you're not interested, feel free to scroll on :)

• When I ordered the MY, I had the SA set it to cash in case it took more than 60 days (HA!) to get the car which would mean another hit on credit, etc., and really no reason to apply for financing at all until after you get your VIN.
  • Once I got my VIN, I called my SA and asked him to switch me to third party financing which he did and the change showed up on my account instantly after I refreshed. I applied to be a member at DCU on their website and was approved. Had to start a savings and checking funded with minimum amount, as well as donate $10 to a charity to get that whole process started.
  • Once approved as member (next day after I applied), I applied for loan - 65 months (72 months goes to a higher rate so apply for the 65 month). Got approved instantly at 1.99% - had to call (2 hour wait, did call back option) to let them know I wanted to set up direct deposit for the 0.5% rate discount, and since it was an EV, another .25%. She then confirmed I would be approved at 1.24%.
  • I had to wait for the MVPA to update in my Tesla account (which took a few hours) to show DCU as the lender and the amount financed, etc.
  • Uploaded that MVPA to DCU's document uploads section in my new member account screen.
  • Called DCU the next morning to confirm they had everything the needed from me in order to finalize the loan.
  • Got the docusign email later that day showing the terms of the loan at 65 months and 1.24%.
  • Called my SA again, had him switch me to Tesla financing, which again was instant after I refreshed.
  • I applied through Tesla and was approved instantly with Chase at 2.49%.
  • Took a screenshot of my docusign loan doc from DCU showing the rate and terms and emailed [email protected]the following email with a subject line that included my RN number and a request to rate match:
    • I have approved financing through Tesla/Chase Bank for 2.49%, and I was able to get approved through DCU at 1.24% but I would rather stick with a Tesla Preferred Partner for financing if you are able to match the rate. Please see attached and confirm once the rate has been matched for 1.24% at 72 months through Chase. Thank you so much in advance for your help!
  • They emailed the next day with confirmation I was approved to have my rate matched.
  • Logged into my Tesla account and sure enough - rate was there - 1.24% at 72 months, new payment was listed, and I hit the confirm button and I am good to go! Financing is approved and complete and delivery date is set. Can't wait for next Saturday!
Have you done anything with the DCU offer? Did you contact them and tell them you're using other financing or decline the sign the documents?

Also, does your car loan still show up in your DCU account dashboard?

First post. Would like to share my datapoint. Ordered 6/15. Completed profile 2 weeks later (financing step). Just got VIN 264XXX today. My most recent EDD stayed around 9/6-9/26 for a week or two. Original EDD in early days was late August to September. So pretty much true to that initial estimate. MYLR, white/white, gemini's, 5 seater, no tow, no FSD. Picking up at Cherry Hill, NJ.

Have you done anything with the DCU offer? Did you contact them and tell them you're using other financing or decline the sign the documents?

Also, does your car loan still show up in your DCU account dashboard?
Its funny you ask that. I was just about to decline to sign them within the Docusign app, but jumped back on the forum to see what others have done and there was your question. That is the last step I need to take - canceling the DCU loan. I really don't want to have to call and talk to someone.

Anyone else have experience on here of going the DCU route and switching back to Tesla finance? What did you do with the DCU loan? Just decline to sign and that was it? Done after that?

Which A/S are you looking at?
Looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 front/rear - 265/275 from TireRack.

Here is the post I'm emulating:

36 EDD changes over 9 weeks? That's crazy. I'm new at this, as you can see from my sig, but you would think a company that can create a car that almost drives itself, would be able to better predict production. Are chip deliveries that erratic??
Most likely "chip shortages" but the entire supply chain is quite volatile right now. In good times, an automobile production schedule is not an exact science and there are variations in the production schedule due to a wide number of reasons. But add to that high demand, explosive growth and issues with suppliers, you will see a very dynamic EDD. This is a near real-time view in how crazy production schedules are for Tesla right now.

You will likely see less variations in your EDD as the date get's closer.

Its funny you ask that. I was just about to decline to sign them within the Docusign app, but jumped back on the forum to see what others have done and there was your question. That is the last step I need to take - canceling the DCU loan. I really don't want to have to call and talk to someone.

Anyone else have experience on here of going the DCU route and switching back to Tesla finance? What did you do with the DCU loan? Just decline to sign and that was it? Done after that?
Nice. I did hit the decline to sign option yesterday. I was hoping the loan would drop from my account overnight, but it has not. Like you, I don't want to call but it looks like that won't be avoided. Hopefully, others can chime in with their experience.

Do you have to do anything? You can probably just ignore if you really don't want to talk to them. You haven't signed anything contractual yet

Thoughts of the day:

* Kodak scoffed at digital cameras saying the quality could never surpass film
* Blackberry ridiculed Apple saying nobody would ever want a phone without tactile keys
* ICE owners mock EV owners saying nobody would ever want to drive an electric car
And two on that list are no longer what I would consider big players in their industry 😂🤷🏻‍♀️😂