Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Part of the reason subsidies were attached to TSLA vehicles were to prevent TSLA going into bankruptcy. It is a new green technology incentive. Same applies to technology to reduce pollution for fossil fuel dependent industry, battery technology, solar, wind etc. However, there needs to be an economic metric to decide when to stop. That’s logic of being fiscally conservative. Now TSLA has unambiguously reached a stage where hundreds of thousands are waiting in line to get the new gadget. Many or most hopefully are able to afford it or we shouldn’t be buying a car. Tsla WILL NOT or IS NOT dependent on government handouts anymore (period). Neither should citizens be dependent on subsidies to buy Tesla. We have reached a stage where the numbers of super chargers and vehicles are substantial enough to speak for themselves. We really need to think of how to spend but do it in a fiscally conservative way. Ford GM and others need the subsidy because they have a big set of problem which is to divert their system to EV and disengage the heavy investments already made for other cars!! So just my humble opinion that continuing rebates for Tesla cars when such a huge waiting line exists isn’t fiscally responsible for US sitting on 30T in debt
I disagree with a bunch here but I'll try to keep my points limited to a couple.

Firstly I understand and respect your fiscal conservatism and used to identify similarly.

But, Tesla IS STILL the beneficiary of subsidies. Subsidies that are not paid directly, but are enabled by government policy. If you follow the financial performance of Tesla you may recall a recent quarter's profitability completely driven by the purchase of renewable energy/ electric vehicle regulatory credits.

Second, the government should be creating a level playing field for: 1. EV producers, and 2. EV purchasers. Not extending a similar subsidy to Tesla creates an unequal playing field and discourages innovation; that same innovation that led to the success now. Not extending a subsidy to EV purchasers including for what are now more expensive cars discourages or completely blocks lower income households from purchasing EVs. We do not have a 25k EV for the masses, yet. EV adoption based on the current income equality in the country is troublesome in a multitude of ways, but just a few examples: wealthy communities with more Tesla /equivalent cars will be safer (less auto injuries), less polluted (cleaner air statistically = smarter people), and more prepared for the disruption that occurs when big oil is taken on more directly and with more seriousness.

So, I think I get the idea of what you are trying to say: if you can afford a 60k car, you don't need a subsidy.

But that's not the point of the subsidy, it's not for those people. It's to make a 60k car cost only 50k, so the family who couldn't afford 60k, can make a stretch and maybe afford 50k

To simplify the point I think you are trying to make,it's that maybe your qualification for the subsidy should be based off your ability to afford the car at MSRP, using some type of indicator like income or wealth. I don't disagree with that, but it's very tricky to implement, especially because so many wealthy think they deserve so much.

I hear you and in a theoretical way, completely agree. In practice though, it's not like letting a restaurant or consumer electronics company fail. There would be a crisis with major reverberations if one or all three major US automakers failed. Maybe I'm looking at it too simplistically. Part of me wants them to fail because we need good ones to grow but in the last century, just one automaker has started up and succeeded. One. The last was Plymouth and they're already dead. But I can't get past the fear that we aren't fully appreciating what would happen in the real world if one failed.

Ugh - why couldn't they just get their heads out of their butts and make good EVs? GM had the secret sauce a full decade before Tesla even tried. They all have the ability, just not the desire.

Totally agree. The hybrid thing needs to go. They were a great idea to start. The Prius has been wildly successful and really helped millions of folks use less gas. But EVs are here and now.
This goes into what is Monopoly and what is not... When it was "the big 3," is 3 really a choice? Why were they allowed to grow so large? What about all the zombie companies that stick around pumped up by cheap debt and by venture capitalists? These are problems we create through policy, allow to proliferate and then we throw our hands up and say "welp it's too big of an issue now, let's just keep supporting them"

Got an email from Tesla asking me to complete payment method since previous loan application expired. Re-applied and now pending approval.

In the meantime, I applied DCU loan and approved for 1.99%. Was hoping for a better rate but I guess having just started a new job probably didn’t help. Oh well.

Oh btw, good morning everyone!
Beware kf you plan to have Tesla match that DCU will HOUND you for a response. I've never experienced anything like it. Typically you don't sign/finalize a loan and you can just forget about it, it fades in the ether. DCU will call and email several times a day

@teslawhy Let’s put the debate about subsidies and energy etc elsewhere as some other old timers pointed out. All of us have strong opinions on this so it’s best to leave it and focus on enjoying our Tesla’s or other EVs whenever we get them.
Haha for all the months I've been here this has been an open forum. Sometimes people drop in and try to change that after waiting for a day or a week, but my vote is you continue to use this thread to talk about whatever you want as we all bide our time in this painful wait together.

TBH that's the reason I like this thread

Beware kf you plan to have Tesla match that DCU will HOUND you for a response. I've never experienced anything like it. Typically you don't sign/finalize a loan and you can just forget about it, it fades in the ether. DCU will call and email several times a day
They've been stood up too many times and have finally learned?🤣😂

Haha for all the months I've been here this has been an open forum. Sometimes people drop in and try to change that after waiting for a day or a week, but my vote is you continue to use this thread to talk about whatever you want as we all bide our time in this painful wait together.

+1

This thread in general, and its associated topics (which often change by the day/week), falls somewhere between chaotic neutral and chaotic good.

Just like EDDs! See, there, I brought you all back to a relevant topic and peace is restored.

Alright, finally getting around to updating. We picked up my wife's MY today at Tampa. So so in terms of smoothness.
First, we found out our trade was valued $800 more than was used for our order yesterday and Tesla was having issues applying the updated trade in. Got there this morning and they wanted us to sign and go. Good thing I had a print out of the valuation because the delivery guy had no clue what was happening. He had to go do something to fix that which took over an hour!!! We used that time to inspect the car.
Everything was fine for the most part. A 1cm scratch on the bumper, the rear bumper paint was mismatched, looked cream compared to the body, a scratch on one of the inside door panels and they left tape in 3 different parts of the roof and a strip of rubber hanging out in one of the side trunk spaces. Service ticket is in for those but no dates till a month away.
The delivery guy came to look at the trunk rubber, took a picture and said he was going to check on what it was. After 30 mins of waiting, we go look for him to ask what's up. He was like "oh you can leave, you're good to go". Like what happened to giving us an update on what you were checking and we never even processed the trade in at that time. They hadn't taken the old keys or switched plates. Took about 3 hours in total. 16 new cars showed up while we were there, mostly white MYLRs, a few MYPs and a couple 3s.

One thing's been bugging us though. The car makes this loud hum whenever you do anything. Open the door and the hum starts even after you leave. I haven't waited enough to see when it stops but it's annoying, It's pretty loud and changes pitch often. We put that in the service ticket too.

Now that the first order is here, time to flip my signature and continue the waiting game for mine.
My understanding is the hum is cooling and prepping the battery pack because it assumes you're about to drive or do something with it

+1

This thread in general, and its associated topics (which often change by the day/week), falls somewhere between chaotic neutral and chaotic good.

Just like EDDs! See, there, I brought you all back to a relevant topic and peace is restored.
Lol I’m generally against the “keep politics and religion at home” attitude, but in this case I recommended it because it was becoming several long posts and was difficult to skim for updates on people’s deliveries that might give me some insight on mine. So, for purely selfish reasons (🤣) I thought it’d make sense to move it to here: Energy, Environment, and Policy

I also know I’ll get sucked into the discussion but don’t have the time or energy to do anything but hit refresh on my EDD and get back to work 😅

Anyways, I’m not a mod, no one has to listen to me. Was just a suggestion!

+1

Remember that day (or couple of days 🤔) that was all about Peloton?! 😂😂 totally “on topic” lol

Remember that day (or couple of days 🤔) that was all about Peloton?! 😂😂 totally “on topic” lol
1631840910721.jpeg

*My face while everyone is talking Peloton…*

Funny thing is, yes I do remember Peloton week. Must’ve been a slow VIN week. I didn‘t chime in because I was so busy at the time and I didn’t feel like posting much. I even did a peloton class or two for several of those days!

Speaking of slow VINs, I’m just going to go out and say it. This quarter is struggling. Last few weeks is usually rapid fire VIN assignment, VIN takeaways, crazy fast movements happening. This end of Q is slow as hell. I’m here usually watching on the sidelines with the popcorn congratulating you guys, and it’s been boring this season. Obviously component shortages have not been resolved yet.

Funny thing is, yes I do remember Peloton week. Must’ve been a slow VIN week. I didn‘t chime in because I was so busy at the time and I didn’t feel like posting much. I even did a peloton class or two for several of those days!

Speaking of slow VINs, I’m just going to go out and say it. This quarter is struggling. Last few weeks is usually rapid fire VIN assignment, VIN takeaways, crazy fast movements happening. This end of Q is slow as hell. I’m here usually watching on the sidelines with the popcorn congratulating you guys, and it’s been boring this season. Obviously component shortages have not been resolved yet.
Instead of rapid fire VINs it’s turned into a FOMO on “did you get the please reply September text message?!?!”

Facts!!! I emailed them multiple times, declined the DocuSign multiple times, still multiple daily emails reminding me the DocuSign was still pending my signature 🙄

Finally called them and had them cancel it.