Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think you have much choice unless you want to wait until September or October next year.

If it bothers the buyer, trade it in and buy another Tesla in a year with the new tax credit. It’s not like you’re losing equity in the current market.

If it even passes into law. I’m squarely in the “I don’t think congress will get anything done, so I will believe it when I see it” camp. I’m not planning for it to even happen.
So… would the rebate be based on pickup date? Or order date? On my purchase agreement the first page only lists the order date with the configuration, though the second page has the “date of agreement” (delivery date) on it.

Not every business transaction makes money, or no business would ever go bankrupt. Exchanging money for something with a contract is a business transaction. You are literally transacting with a business.

Can you imagine if Honda, or GM, Ford, or VW direct sold to customers what that experience would be like?

How much more insignificant your ~$50k would be to their bottom line?

How much less they would care about you, singular buyer, in a pool of ten million buyers per year?

You should take a step back and realize that the other car makers don’t care about you at all. That’s why they have dealerships between you and them, so they don’t have to care about you.

In fact, they pay people to tell them the maximum amount of caring they need to do (when their vehicles start killing too many of you means they have to recall something, because the financial cost of future lawsuits is greater than the cost of a recall).

That’s their competition. And as far as that is concerned - they are ahead of the competition by a long mile.
Probably an analogous example are the airlines / the travel industry in general. For decades they never sold direct to consumer but the market and evolving changed that. In the process many of them vaporized like TWA, NW etc. so to assume Tesla cannot meet that fate is not definitive. Interestingly with the advancements in tech the cycles of profitability and overall corporate shelf life of orgs is shrinking as well. That said, Teslas fundamentals are strong right now and I hope nothing bad happens to them… however, Tesla shouldn’t forget that their customers make them and it’s not a one way street.
Like someone else posted above they should want to build repeat customers and not one time buyers.

Probably an analogous example are the airlines / the travel industry in general. For decades they never sold direct to consumer but the market and evolving changed that. In the process many of them vaporized like TWA, NW etc. so to assume Tesla cannot meet that fate is not definitive. Interestingly with the advancements in tech the cycles of profitability and overall corporate shelf life of orgs is shrinking as well. That said, Teslas fundamentals are strong right now and I hope nothing bad happens to them… however, Tesla shouldn’t forget that their customers make them and it’s not a one way street.
Like someone else posted above they should want to build repeat customers and not one time buyers.
They're learning from Apple. Building an ecosystem and fanboys. Assuming more and more integrated product comes from Tesla, we're going to be stuck with them. But I do hope as they scale, their service center staffing scales too with more communications.

So… would the rebate be based on pickup date? Or order date? On my purchase agreement the first page only lists the order date with the configuration, though the second page has the “date of agreement” (delivery date) on it.
I would have to assume that any of these credits would be based on the date you took ownership, signed documents, and completed the sale.

But until there is a bill signed, we can only guess when a tax credit would be effective beginning.

Page 1367 for me. Who's been around the longest and is still active? When I went through the entire thread I think I remember spotting @PatrickTM show up around May. That's a lot of likes!
Page 194 (May 2021) for me! At the time I thought it was just any other thread, I didn’t realize it would gain life and become a 2k page monster! Muahaha

Love the talk about competition. We have been hearing about it since 2015. Apparently they are still coming.
When my wife and I bought our Chevy Bolt EVs in 2017, the only EVs that had 200+ range were the Model S and X (too expensive for us to buy two), the Bolt, and the upcoming Model 3. We had the thought of "These are decent electric cars but just wait until we replace them in 5 years. The market will be flooded with new designs and brands. It will be great!" Here we were 4.5 years later with one Bolt sold and the other bought back by GM because of the battery recall and ready for new EVs. The market is slightly better but that flood of new awesome long range EVs just didn't happen. With our new requirements of 300+ mile range so we can get rid of all of our ICE vehicles, and a total cost of less than $120k for two cars, we are left with the M3 and MY.

Sooooo...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that in 3-5 years we will have at least a half dozen choices when we replace our Teslas.

I love Tesla, but I promise that there will be good competitors 5 years from now and they risk losing return customers due to bad experiences with current purchases.
2014, is that you?

No, seriously, I've been hearing the same refrain for 7 years and while I agree that Tesla should improve their customer service experience, your prediction has been predicted a million times over and proven wrong each and every time.

The only competition coming is competition to the 2012 Model S. 10 years later. There is no competition to the 3 or Y anywhere in sight. I wish that weren't the case because it all moves the mission forward, but it simply is. There's no competition to the supercharger network, or to FSD. I'd love to eat these words in 5 years but I've seen this movie before...

EDD whiplash update for you all… shifted to Nov 17-29th now, yesterday it was March 17-April 12 and before that, December 17-31. I’m going to hope for a shift back to 2022 unless they make the credit available retroactively, waiting is the right choice for my situation as we don’t have a strong need for the car now.

Just for a point of reference, when I ordered the estimated date was January, then January-February when I changed from 5-7 seats on Sept 9. People must be putting orders on hold or something, this back and forth makes planning impossible, lol. (Preaching to the choir here, I know)

Exciting to see 2022 VINs and MSMs coming through now!

2014, is that you?

No, seriously, I've been hearing the same refrain for 7 years and while I agree that Tesla should improve their customer service experience, your prediction has been predicted a million times over and proven wrong each and every time.

The only competition coming is competition to the 2012 Model S. 10 years later. There is no competition to the 3 or Y anywhere in sight. I wish that weren't the case because it all moves the mission forward, but it simply is. There's no competition to the supercharger network, or to FSD. I'd love to eat these words in 5 years but I've seen this movie before...
You make a great point, but you have to admit that the landscape has actually changed dramatically, just over the past year even. There are actual viable options from other manufacturers, there are now serious efforts to built out other charging networks. The previous predictions were wrong about the timing of the competition being compelling, but I think it's inevitable now that Tesla proven it's viable and even profitable. And assuming Tesla makes good on its threat to open up the Supercharger network, that really does even the playing field quite a bit. It's just a matter of when, not if. Maybe that takes 10 years, who knows, but it will happen, and we'll be better for it.

You make a great point, but you have to admit that the landscape has actually changed dramatically, just over the past year even. There are actual viable options from other manufacturers, there are now serious efforts to built out other charging networks. The previous predictions were wrong about the timing of the competition being compelling, but I think it's inevitable now that Tesla proven it's viable and even profitable. And assuming Tesla makes good on its threat to open up the Supercharger network, that really does even the playing field quite a bit. It's just a matter of when, not if. Maybe that takes 10 years, who knows, but it will happen, and we'll be better for it.
I see what you're saying but have a slightly different opinion of the meaning of the word "viable." I was a big fan of the Bolt, despite it looking like a sneaker. That didn't end well even though GM/Chevy has a century of experience manufacturing cars, and more experience with EVs than most others. Other fully EVs aren't readily available in most states, and those that are (like the Mach-E) are too new to be proven, and some are subject to huge dealer markups.

As for charging networks I can only speak from personal experience but other charging networks have been notably unreliable and complicated to use. (eg: signing up for a card in the mail, trying to get customer service answering phone calls, etc.) Chargers need to be all of these things: fast, widely available, easy to use, and working when you need them to be.
Everything that is coming out from legacy car makers are behind by at least 5 years in terms of efficiency and battery tech. 3rd party chargers are joke. I am all for more choices but we are far from that right now and 5 years from now since Tesla innovating as we speak.
Also, this.

I see what you're saying but have a slightly different opinion of the meaning of the word "viable." I was a big fan of the Bolt, despite it looking like a sneaker. That didn't end well even though GM/Chevy has a century of experience manufacturing cars, and more experience with EVs than most others. Other fully EVs aren't readily available in most states, and those that are (like the Mach-E) are too new to be proven, and some are subject to huge dealer markups.

As for charging networks I can only speak from personal experience but other charging networks have been notably unreliable and complicated to use. (eg: signing up for a card in the mail, trying to get customer service answering phone calls, etc.) Chargers need to be all of these things: fast, widely available, easy to use, and working when you need them to be.

Also, this.
This is why I would not be one of the early adopters of any of these "new Tesla killers". I am very interested in Lucid and Rivian, but I believe there are a lot of challenges ahead for them, and I hope they are not met with as much skepticism, doom and gloom as Tesla was (and sometimes still is). I look forward to when there are plenty of options to choose from, and like @PhillyGal said, this "competition is coming" has recirculated more times than I can count. I agree @boingolover that the landscape is different, but I also agree that they are finally catching up with the original Model S (other than the range).

Everything that is coming out from legacy car makers are behind by at least 5 years in terms of efficiency and battery tech. 3rd party chargers are joke. I am all for more choices but we are far from that right now and 5 years from now since Tesla innovating as we speak.

Honestly the EV6 and Ioniq 5 with 800V backbones are pretty high-tech. Being a battery nerd, I forsee all cars being 800V in 5 years.

My argument for Teslas is the reliability. Other makers have better values (ID.4) or better styling (subjective of course)....

There are a lot of hate for most things made in China, but I look forward to when Xpeng or Nio EVs can be purchased here in the states. I believe Elon said that software will be what determines the future of car companies. When I think of software I think of Tesla, Xpeng, Nio, and others. The legacy brands just can’t get a grasp on programming or maybe it’s just harder for them to adapt due to their nature.

Since ordering my MY, I have been interested in learning more about the different EV brands. I have been watching a lot of Bjorn Nyland videos.