Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking about going this route. When you finance with a third party do you keep your payment as cash or do you need to switch it over to financing?
Keep it as cash until VIN is assigned. After VIN assignment goto the Tesla store and switch it to third party financing. That’s what I did. I don’t trust doing this switch over the phone for obvious reasons.

From a silent reader to a contributor. This forum has been awesome.

Delivery is scheduled this Saturday—initially planned for Monday, they texted to say that it’ll be here early.

OD: 6/30
A million EDD fluctuations
VIN: 11/14
Trade-in: offer expired; pictures of the car were requested, but it looks like no one worked on it. Got tired of waiting after 2 weeks and ended up selling to Carvana this morning.

Haha, same here… now I’m stuck in TBD land with no indication of when to expect the car. Booked the electrician for early Feb although he’ll come earlier if needed… 50’ of 3 wire is just ridiculous right now, lol. Glad to see others getting the car, seeing these photos of the new babies is great therapy for now, albeit slightly jealousy-inducing.
Don’t be jealous. All of us have paid the Tesla “deep breaths” tax… lol

• Funny
Reactions: SuzyQ4 and BTVev
You know you can get a 30% tax rebate on the equipment and installation of a charging station if it is done before the end of this year. Installing it next year gets you $0...
Is this a federal rebate thing or a Florida state specific thing? Also, do u file with your 2021 income tax refund or you have to file separately? This is the first I’ve heard hence the noob question.

From a silent reader to a contributor. This forum has been awesome.

Delivery is scheduled this Saturday—initially planned for Monday, they texted to say that it’ll be here early.

OD: 6/30
A million EDD fluctuations
VIN: 11/14
Trade-in: offer expired; pictures of the car were requested, but it looks like no one worked on it. Got tired of waiting after 2 weeks and ended up selling to Carvana this morning.
Can you share your Carvana experience? How does it work the day of pickup? How much of your life do they make you sign away? Do they reevaluate the car value relative to the offer they made?

Boy is my MY ownership a weird dynamic. Since getting the Model 3 nearly 4 years ago, the S has firmly been my husband's car and the 3 mine. So when we take the S, which is almost always, he drives. When we take the 3 anywhere, I drive. (Exceptions for supercharger visits, where the rules dictate I do most of the driving.)

Now, we have the S and the Y. The toddler keeps insisting we take the Y places. I feel weird doing 100% of the around town driving so I keep hopping into the passenger seat every other time. My husband also informed me that the white carbon fiber center console wrap he ordered has shipped. What now?! I don't want a white carbon fiber center console wrap.

WHOSE CAR IS THIS?!
Stand your ground!! We (or at least I) have your back! :D

Can you share your Carvana experience? How does it work the day of pickup? How much of your life do they make you sign away? Do they reevaluate the car value relative to the offer they made?
It was a lot easier than I expected; it took about 10 mins.

The agent came on time, with several forms (5-6) for me to sign. She looked around the car (2 mins), started it, removed the plate, and handed me the cheque.

She left after giving me the cheque, and a flatbed tow truck came to get the car 20 mins later.

The car was very clean (2018 GLA), low mileage (23k), never smoked in, etc. I guess it made it easier for her.

One thing to consider is: you’re supposed to notify the DMV afterwards that you sold the car. I’ll probably spend 4 hours on the phone…on hold…tomorrow.

Reactions: pgcoco and turrmoil
Is this a federal rebate thing or a Florida state specific thing? Also, do u file with your 2021 income tax refund or you have to file separately? This is the first I’ve heard hence the noob question.
Its a federal thing which expires this year. Look for "Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit" form Form 8911

"With the Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) Refueling Property Credit from the IRS, US businesses and residents are all eligible for 30% off their entire EV charging hardware purchase (up to $30,000 for business and $1000 for individuals). This federal tax credit also extends back to purchases made in 2018-21. Expires December 31, 2021."

Last edited:
*Sigh*

Was suppose to take delivery between 4-6PM CDT today. Been waiting patiently and Tesla was a no show. I checked the app a few minutes ago and Tesla just changed the delivery date. No text, email or call.

What bothers me about this behavior is that they just assume that the person is available on the date that they choose. And of course, if I wasn't available and tried to change it, I would probably get the hammer speak ie Well we will just give the car to someone else.

*Sigh*

Was suppose to take delivery between 4-6PM CDT today. Been waiting patiently and Tesla was a no show. I checked the app a few minutes ago and Tesla just changed the delivery date. No text, email or call.

What bothers me about this behavior is that they just assume that the person is available on the date that they choose. And of course, if I wasn't available and tried to change it, I would probably get the hammer speak ie Well we will just give the car to someone else.
Sorry to hear that. And that is too bad.
I think it’s a delivery center by delivery center experience think or maybe even an individual thing.
If I were the Delivery Operations owner at Tesla, this is an easy fix. One of the compensation components for these folks need to be tied to customer satisfaction from delivery experience. Auto send a delivery experience customer satisfaction survey and implement this performance management technique and watch the change it will drive…

*Sigh*

Dang it! Being in DFW also, so sorry to hear that, especially after all of the runaround you've had with the plates too.

Reactions: deonfromdallas
I am planning to finance through DCU. I have an account already. How long does it take for them to check your credit and approve? How fast do you receive the check or they send it directly to Tesla? Thank you.
They will overnight it either to you or Tesla. I don't honestly know when they checked my credit, but I think it was instantaneous. It's tricky because they need your MVPA before formally approving the loan and all that, but I think you first apply for the loan. This was my timeline:

Sunday: Got VIN
Monday: Called Tesla to change to Financing. Uploaded to DCU -> call DCU to get them to approve it. Finalized with them over the phone
Tuesday: in morning got email to e-sign the loan, to which they followed up with tracking number + photo copy of check ~5 hours after e-sign. Emailed this information to Tesla
Wed: Picked up car and verified all good with Tesla

For those who have taken delivery, after you uploaded insurance in the app, when were you able to send payment? Was this when your MY arrived at your local SC?
I would never send payment until you inspect the car. I financed through DCU and took a check with me. After I inspected the car, I gave my SA the check. Given Tesla's history of spotting QC, I would encourage you to follow a similar approach.

Reactions: TMYChris
I am planning to finance through DCU. I have an account already. How long does it take for them to check your credit and approve? How fast do you receive the check or they send it directly to Tesla? Thank you.
I was a new customer for DCU. I submitted my app one evening, had approval the next day. They overnighted a check the following day once everything was finalized (I was debating how much money I wanted to put down). I took the check to pick up the car and inspected it before handing it over. I would hate to have to back out of the deal if there was some sort of issue with the car and I didn't take delivery. Apparently some states you need to prepay in.

There were some errors in their calculations so the final amount wasn't correct and I ended up overpaying them a fair amount. It took almost 4 weeks to get the money back from Corporate. I would have hated to wait almost 4 weeks if I had already transferred the full amount for the car and there was an issue.

I was a new customer for DCU. I submitted my app one evening, had approval the next day. They overnighted a check the following day once everything was finalized (I was debating how much money I wanted to put down). I took the check to pick up the car and inspected it before handing it over. I would hate to have to back out of the deal if there was some sort of issue with the car and I didn't take delivery. Apparently some states you need to prepay in.

There were some errors in their calculations so the final amount wasn't correct and I ended up overpaying them a fair amount. It took almost 4 weeks to get the money back from Corporate. I would have hated to wait almost 4 weeks if I had already transferred the full amount for the car and there was an issue.
huh, just curious what kind of mis-calculations did they have? Maybe I shoudl take a closer look at my docs

Since at this time, I apparently have over a month until the start of my 10th EDD window, I thought I would make use of this time with something other than paying for accessories (I might be at 60), and figure out all of the steps needed between VIN and delivery. For those of you who have taken delivery or are about to:
If you financed, how long did it take to secure financing? Did you do any searching around or did you decide on who you were going with beforehand

We went with USAA, they approved it nearly instantaneously. I requested a loan for an amount of what I wanted - which had me coming up with the rest as a downpayment. The approval came back 10k more than I asked for. They did not require me to upload the purchase agreement at that point. They then gave me a dealer funding request form that I was supposed to send to the dealership. This is what they use instead of sending me a check - it's the dealership's responsibility to send the form in with their bank account and routing numbers, along with a signed purchase agreement (by us as well as someone from the dealership / Tesla) and some document that shows they've applied for a title with them listed as lienholder, then USAA sends the payment electronically. Apparently they funded the loan on the wednesday following our sunday delivery.

After that was initially approved, I used the online chat feature to tell Tesla I wanted to switch from cash to third party financing. They asked me who the lender was, how much I planned to finance. At that point my account showed that I owed the downpayment. I waited until delivery day to pay the remainder.

As for the downpayment, I did that by bypassing plaid on the day I took delivery, just entered my ACH details in the parking lot after I looked the car over.

How many insurance carriers did you get quotes from?

Just two, Erie is our current insurer and they came in about the same as our Audi, the other quote was a lot higher (forget who that was with now)

Last edited: