TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Custom radio station logo?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by zwede, Feb 8, 2014.

1. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

I often listen to a radio station that does not have RDS so I just get the default icon in the display which is pretty boring. I'd like to use a custom image/logo instead. Any way to do this?

And yes, this is one of the biggest "issues" I have with the car. Goes to show just how great they are.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Right now there isn't any way. Eventually, when the SDK becomes available there will no doubt be Apps that will allow this. The Model S is the only car you can purchase that really does get better over time--even though sometimes it feels like one step forward and two steps back.

3. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

I was afraid of that. Well, Tesla says they are monitoring the forums so here's how you do it Tesla:

* User places image files on USB stick.

* With station without logo tuned, user taps the grey default logo. Popup appears that automatically looks at any image files on USB stick and displays them.

* User picks desired image, clicks OK and the image is copied to the image cache so it is retained when the USB stick is removed.

You shouldn't have any problem including it in V6.0.1 :)

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

As a software engineer, I would write this code myself if they opened it up or they hired me. But if you hire me, I'd have to telecommute. I don't want to move to a state that's going to break off and fall into the ocean :/ lol

5. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

I'm a SW engineer as well (20+ years of C, C++ and Java). If Tesla would only open source their stuff. Well, I can dream...

6. iffatall

iffatall Member

As much as I would love to have the feature, I don't see Tesla doing what you suggest. Not in v6.0.1, not even in v7 or later. There will always be ten other items in their list of features to add, that will have higher priority.

No harm wishing for stuff though.

7. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

This one is very easy to implement though.

8. Nikoli

Nikoli Member

I hear ya, 15+ years of Assembler. Yes, I said Assembler. No I'm not (that) old.

9. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

I did a little assembler on a Commodore 64 once upon a time! Decided I wanted to be just a bit further removed from the hardware. LDA, JNE, something something. :tongue:

10. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Ha! Now we're dating ourselves!
    I did that run.

Flashbacks to RPG, COBOL, Fortran, etc. oy!