Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom USB splitter solution for M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not so quick ...

My understanding is that the rear ports are 2x USB-C, but the front console ports are 1x USB-C and 1x USB-A.

Given that the wireless charging pad consumes the USB-C port in the front, the Navak splitter (especially Gen2 with the SD card reader!) becomes more important than ever. It's a top shelf, high quality product with the best functionality going.

My apologies - I thought I saw someone say it was a two USB-C configuration. I did a quick search but wasn’t able to locate confirmation quickly.

Is the new Tesla wireless charger not hardwired in?

My apologies - I thought I saw someone say it was a two USB-C configuration. I did a quick search but wasn’t able to locate confirmation quickly.

Is the new Tesla wireless charger not hardwired in?

Nope- it eats the USB-C port.

It's unclear though how much power it actually draws (to see if you could split the C port and still power it or not).

Still- a single Navak splitter on the A port would be sufficient for almost anything else one might want, especially a 2nd gen offering the SDslot plus two powered ports both passing data.

Reactions: dmurphy
Nope- it eats the USB-C port.

It's unclear though how much power it actually draws (to see if you could split the C port and still power it or not).

Still- a single Navak splitter on the A port would be sufficient for almost anything else one might want, especially a 2nd gen offering the SDslot plus two powered ports both passing data.

Someone quoted me 27W for the front console USB-C port (USB PD - 9v @ 3a) but I'm not replacing my Model 3 anytime soon to find out for sure. :)

But the salient point is that the Navak splitter is more useful than ever with this new configuration. Given that there's now really only one available USB port in the console (since the wireless pad consumes the USB-C), it's a must-have!

Someone quoted me 27W for the front console USB-C port (USB PD - 9v @ 3a) but I'm not replacing my Model 3 anytime soon to find out for sure. :)

Yeah I've read the port can supply that much- but it's unclear how much the wireless charger actually draws.

I doubt it's 27W

The aftermarket Tesla-branded one is only 5 watts per side (10W total) but that plugs into the OEM USB-A ports- so it's unclear if this new USB-C pad is higher charging or not.... (and thus if one can "afford" to split off any power at the port without slowing down charging)

Ah- nevermind found it in Y owners manual- 15 watts total... meaning in theory you could pull ~12 W for other stuff if you had a smart enough USB-C splitter without slowing down the wireless pad

I believe the hub is the same as Model Y. As you can see in the attached picture Tesla parts catalog calls out two part numbers for M3 front hub. The second part number description say MY so I assume its the same as MY :)
Capture_hub.JPG

Reactions: lUtriaNt
question is how difficult it would be to swap this part out on the 3...?
My guess is you should be able to swap it with a newer version without problem. The question is how you are going to source a new MY hub :)
I would love to get one and take it a part see what inside. It`s kind of a bummer that there isn't much technical details available on supporting protocols and max output current capability on USB-C port.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Hi,

I can confirm that TapTes Gen 2 charger with Navak USB splitter can charge iPhone at 7.5W. See the picture below.

Also, same test with the Tesla original wireless charger and Navak splitter gave the same result. I was able charge the iPhone at 7.5W.

I'm curious if you measured the TapTes charger with the provided USB splitter cables. I'm assuming if those are "dumb" cables then it would only be able to pull 5W? Or does it pull 7.5W even with their dumb splitter? If your adapter provides 7.5 and the original is 5W then that's a 50% increase in charging power, and significantly faster charging if some portion of that 5W was being used just to keep the device running (e.g. with Waze or something while driving).

I'm curious if you measured the TapTes charger with the provided USB splitter cables. I'm assuming if those are "dumb" cables then it would only be able to pull 5W? Or does it pull 7.5W even with their dumb splitter? If your adapter provides 7.5 and the original is 5W then that's a 50% increase in charging power, and significantly faster charging if some portion of that 5W was being used just to keep the device running (e.g. with Waze or something while driving).

You need the 9v boosters for each side to get the higher rate

Reactions: lemketron