Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CVRP Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Go here. It's a fairly simple process, just follow the instructions.

Thanks for the handy link.
I wonder which sticker I will receive since I'm taking delivery in 2019 but will file the CAV request in 2020.
I am hoping for the orange 2020 decals, but expect I will get the purple 2019 decals which expire sooner.
Might be some consolation for those who don't take delivery until Jan - maybe an extra year of HOV lane access.

Thanks for the handy link.
I wonder which sticker I will receive since I'm taking delivery in 2019 but will file the CAV request in 2020.
I am hoping for the orange 2020 decals, but expect I will get the purple 2019 decals which expire sooner.
Might be some consolation for those who don't take delivery until Jan - maybe an extra year of HOV lane access.
You almost certainly will receive the orange ones if you applied in 2020. It has nothing to do w/the model year of the car or when you took delivery.

You could buy an older used EV/PHEV from outside CA that has never had CA HOV stickers and apply for them now. You'll receive the orange ones. I've intentionally not applied for HOV stickers for the '19 Bolt I bought at end the end of Jan 2019 since I almost never travel in the HOV lanes. I will probably wait until 2021 or 2022.

Reactions: n8leon
My plates and registration arrive on the Jan 3rd according to USPS Informed Delivery. Took delivery of car on Nov. 30. Not putting the plate on til last day of February as that’s the expiration date of the temp plate I believe.

My plates and registration arrive on the Jan 3rd according to USPS Informed Delivery. Took delivery of car on Nov. 30. Not putting the plate on til last day of February as that’s the expiration date of the temp plate I believe.
Just because your temporary plates haven't expired doesn't mean you're legally allowed to delay installing the permanent ones that long.

Codes Display Text. says
(b) Temporary license plates shall be replaced with permanent license plates upon receipt of the permanent license plates, and the temporary license plates shall be destroyed at that time.
and
A special permit or temporary license plate issued in lieu of permanent license plates shall be attached and displayed on the vehicle for which the permit or temporary license plate was issued until the temporary license plate or the special permit expires, or the permanent license plates are received, whichever occurs first.

You almost certainly will receive the orange ones if you applied in 2020. It has nothing to do w/the model year of the car or when you took delivery.

You could buy an older used EV/PHEV from outside CA that has never had CA HOV stickers and apply for them now. You'll receive the orange ones. I've intentionally not applied for HOV stickers for the '19 Bolt I bought at end the end of Jan 2019 since I almost never travel in the HOV lanes. I will probably wait until 2021 or 2022.

So if you took delivery of a 2020 Model 3 in December 2019, you can get the 2020 decals?

Another question, I hear they are difficult to remove. Is it that bad?

So if you took delivery of a 2020 Model 3 in December 2019, you can get the 2020 decals?

Another question, I hear they are difficult to remove. Is it that bad?

It doesn’t matter what model year you have. They typically stop sending 2019 decals out around October and hold all pending applications until January so that you don’t end up getting short changed by 10 months.

Yes, they are difficult to remove but with the proper cleaning solution it can be done. I hardly ever use mine so I just purchased some soft magnets and affixed them to the magnets. I throw them on my car the occasional time I’m on the freeway and otherwise keep them in my glove compartment.

Reactions: cwerdna and n8leon
It doesn’t matter what model year you have. They typically stop sending 2019 decals out around October and hold all pending applications until January so that you don’t end up getting short changed by 10 months.

Yes, they are difficult to remove but with the proper cleaning solution it can be done. I hardly ever use mine so I just purchased some soft magnets and affixed them to the magnets. I throw them on my car the occasional time I’m on the freeway and otherwise keep them in my glove compartment.

Magnets are a good idea. Are the locations to mount them made of steel? Dumb question, but I have to ask!

Magnets are a good idea. Are the locations to mount them made of steel? Dumb question, but I have to ask!

I mount one on the trunk and one on the side of the car. The bumper is not metal so a magnet won’t stick. Keep in mind this is not the official locations where you are supposed to mount these stickers, but since I use them so rarely I don’t really care. If I drove on the freeway all the time I would just mount the stickers in the appropriate locations and deal with it in four years when they expire.

I mount one on the trunk and one on the side of the car. The bumper is not metal so a magnet won’t stick. Keep in mind this is not the official locations where you are supposed to mount these stickers, but since I use them so rarely I don’t really care. If I drove on the freeway all the time I would just mount the stickers in the appropriate locations and deal with it in four years when they expire.

OK will do!