Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyber truck will be the best selling vehicle ever

Will the cybertruck be the last car you purchase?

• Yes, if it can last 1,000,000 miles

Votes: 55 50.5%
  • No, It has a face only a mother can love

Votes: 54 49.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a big fan for and this is a big claim but let me explain myself.

The Ford F150 is currently the best selling vehicle and the Tesla cyber truck will walk the same path.

Cyber truck is cheap for a large EV vehicle. It's almost the same price as a model 3.

I'm sure the engineers are working on this vehicle to last 1,000,000 miles. It's only possible due to the exterior stainless steel exoskeleton and bullet proof glass(thanks to development from solarcity and spacex). Be prepared see these trucks for the next 20 years because it'll be the last vehicle you'll own.

From a utility standpoint, this truck beats out all vehicles currently in the market. 6 seats, FSD and self parking in tight city streets(for you folks that "don't need a big car"), ability to seal off the bed, awesome air suspension, 240 v plug in the bed, option for humongous battery and ability to tow large loads, handles like a sports car, and Tesla's supercharger network.

Tesla will be able to produce the cybertruck fast and cheap. They will be able to pump these things out faster than any other car due to the complex painting and drying of the vehicle. The new battery chemistry reduces the time of production for each cell. So a combination of cheap batteries, no paint, and designed for ease of manufacturing.

I believe the Cybertruck will fundamentally change car ownership forever. It is sad but this will probably my last new car purchase because this vehicle will last me decades, is fast, cheap to maintain and purchase, and can drive itself.

Attachments

• 191122092415-01-tesla-cybertruck-musk-1121-exlarge-169.jpg
    191122092415-01-tesla-cybertruck-musk-1121-exlarge-169.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Love
Reactions: Brando and WhiteWi
I'm a big fan for and this is a big claim but let me explain myself.

The Ford F150 is currently the best selling vehicle and the Tesla cyber truck will walk the same path.

Cyber truck is cheap for a large EV vehicle. It's almost the same price as a model 3.

I'm sure the engineers are working on this vehicle to last 1,000,000 miles. It's only possible due to the exterior stainless steel exoskeleton and bullet proof glass(thanks to development from solarcity and spacex). Be prepared see these trucks for the next 20 years because it'll be the last vehicle you'll own.

From a utility standpoint, this truck beats out all vehicles currently in the market. 6 seats, FSD and self parking in tight city streets(for you folks that "don't need a big car"), ability to seal off the bed, awesome air suspension, 240 v plug in the bed, option for humongous battery and ability to tow large loads, handles like a sports car, and Tesla's supercharger network.

Tesla will be able to produce the cybertruck fast and cheap. They will be able to pump these things out faster than any other car due to the complex painting and drying of the vehicle. The new battery chemistry reduces the time of production for each cell. So a combination of cheap batteries, no paint, and designed for ease of manufacturing.

I believe the Cybertruck will fundamentally change car ownership forever. It is sad but this will probably my last new car purchase because this vehicle will last me decades, is fast, cheap to maintain and purchase, and can drive itself.
The glass is not bullet proof. Only the body is.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Maybe Telsa will build 100 preproduction trucks and send them out to farmers, ranchers. contractors and heavy equipment owners and operators. See what these trucks are capable of. Can these trucks be modified to suit users wants and needs? For instance how long can you run a welder without draining the battery so far down that you will have a hard time getting out from the middle of nowhere. Musk never said how long it would take to charge the ATV.

You may not know this, but some people consider the CT design to be a little weird. This will hamper sales.

That said, I fully expect it to be the #1 BEV truck for quite some time, and encroach upon the ICE truck market somewhat.

CT design is very polarizing and some will hate it and some will love it. The CT will have major road presence and people will get used to its looks because there will be so many on the road for the years to come.

Reactions: gavine and henderrj
You may not know this, but some people consider the CT design to be a little weird. This will hamper sales.

That said, I fully expect it to be the #1 BEV truck for quite some time, and encroach upon the ICE truck market somewhat.
Respectfully disagree. While not universal, the majority of the truck buying public are buying for utility, not looks.

As this thing becomes more widely seen and people come to learn of the utility, innitial cost, cost of ownership, features, etc. it will destroy the current lineup of ICE trucks, in my opinion.

Dan

Respectfully disagree. While not universal, the majority of the truck buying public are buying for utility, not looks.

As this thing becomes more widely seen and people come to learn of the utility, innitial cost, cost of ownership, features, etc. it will destroy the current lineup of ICE trucks, in my opinion.

Dan

Sorry I disagree with ya there. Most buy a truck for the image of tough and independent. The Cybertruck is already getting complaints that it is too big to put in a smaller garage indicating first time truck buyers.

I do agree that it will sell well with people who actually use trucks.

As to the OP question of will this be the last truck I buy... I don't know my average ownership cycle is 8 years, the truck it will replace I have had for almost 22 years now. (many of my early cars were old and I had to breathe life back into them). At my current age its possible, but even if the battery and drivetrain last that long many of the other parts wont.

The million mile thing is pure fantasy, vehicles go to the junkyard often because a bunch of little crap has failed, not engine failure.
Of you are willing to replace enough parts any vehicle outside the salt belt can last 1m miles. Thing is once the wiper motor is acting up and the steering column is sloppy, and the seats torn, and the dash cracked, and then a brake line fails people scrap a car even if they had put the cash into balljoints and tierods and all previously.
Windshields even become a wear item that would need 4-5 replacements in that time.

Most trucks are oversized daily drivers, people have them because a few times a year they need to haul something big or tow something never actually pushing the limits. Combine the convenience of having the truck when you need to haul the odd couch with the status symbol of having a nice large vehicle and you have a vast majority of truck owners who don't need one but just want one. Which is fine it is a free country.
The F150 is king not because it is a great truck, the ecoboost and the previous Triton line of 4.6l/5.4l motors were not good compared to other companies offerings. Even if the CT is a "better truck" that wont matter because most trucks are used as minivans with exposed cargo space.

Reactions: Solor
The million mile thing is pure fantasy, vehicles go to the junkyard often because a bunch of little crap has failed, not engine failure.
Of you are willing to replace enough parts any vehicle outside the salt belt can last 1m miles. Thing is once the wiper motor is acting up and the steering column is sloppy, and the seats torn, and the dash cracked, and then a brake line fails people scrap a car even if they had put the cash into balljoints and tierods and all previously.
Windshields even become a wear item that would need 4-5 replacements in that time.

Most trucks are oversized daily drivers, people have them because a few times a year they need to haul something big or tow something never actually pushing the limits. Combine the convenience of having the truck when you need to haul the odd couch with the status symbol of having a nice large vehicle and you have a vast majority of truck owners who don't need one but just want one. Which is fine it is a free country.
The F150 is king not because it is a great truck, the ecoboost and the previous Triton line of 4.6l/5.4l motors were not good compared to other companies offerings. Even if the CT is a "better truck" that wont matter because most trucks are used as minivans with exposed cargo space.

If I'm allowed I will disagree with you on, well, pretty much everything. the million mile vehicle is not a fantasy. That happens all the time with large delivery vehicles Mercedes has emblems for cars that go a million miles. I think people will keep them once they get used to it. I'm at a quarter million miles now with the first generation model s. okay, maybe not first generation it is an AP1 vehicle. But still I'm at a quarter million miles on the original battery now! The newer technology of batteries is much better. I do expect these vehicles will last a million miles. Those small part replacements are nothing. Remember, airplanes do it all the time. most of the airplanes flying today are 50 years old! if you replace all the wearable parts, things can last a really long time when they're made of aluminum or, in this case, stainless steel.

I hope you are right. I am hoping the looks of it doesn't turn too many people off.

Unfortunately its too big for me and I don't really have a use for a pick up truck. However, the value of what you get for the price is pretty impressive. Especially compared to the 6 seater Model X that costs close to $90,000.

Believe the Cybertruck is a fresh new look at what a Pickup can be. It will attract it's own audience and buyers. Most traditional Pickup owners will continue to buy new generations of what they already own and familiar with. Tesla will chip away at these buyers just as they have done with traditional Sedan and SUV buyers.

Dan
I complete disagree that the majority of people buying trucks do so for utility. Trucks are rarely used for their true utility abilities but rather the majority being used for everyday transportation. That is a fact, not opinion, and has been proven in surveys and not typically disputed. The best selling F150 truck is the best selling most likely because of the advanced design and comfort features. That claim is based on the fact that upper trim levels outsell the more basic trims that provide as much utility but not as much flash or comfort. The polarizing Tesla design if ever actually built would likely limit sales but it has achieved its likely purpose of providing a free or at least cheap advertising effect by being so controversial. I like so many others thought initially that it was a joke or gag until realizing it’s true purpose which has likely helped propel Tesla further ahead than it would be without it.

Last edited:
I complete disagree that the majority of people buying trucks do so for utility. Trucks are rarely used for their true utility abilities but rather the majority being used for everyday transportation. That is a fact, not opinion, and has been proven in surveys and not typically disputed. The best selling F150 truck is the best selling most likely because of the advanced design and comfort features. That claim is based on the fact that upper trim levels outsell the more basic trims that provide as much utility but not as much flash or comfort. The polarizing Tesla design if ever actually built would likely limit sales but it has achieved its likely purpose of providing a free or at least cheap advertising effect by being so controversial. I like so many others thought initially that it was a joke or gag until realizing it’s true purpose which has likely helped propel Tesla further ahead than it would be without it.

Agree with pretty much everything here. CT will only sell to people who buy based on utility and features, which is a known small percentage of truck buyers.

I would add that a vehicle that lasts 1MM miles will, by definition, sell fewer vehicles than less durable trucks, simply due to the fact that it lasts longer before needing to be replaced. The CT could be the best-selling vehicle in a redesigned form, but not in its current form.

What you are forgetting is the thousands and thousands of fleet vehicles being sold. All about "can it do the job" and "how much is it going to cost me to do it." On these fronts, nothing can touch Cybertruck.

Dan

Agree with pretty much everything here. CT will only sell to people who buy based on utility and features, which is a known small percentage of truck buyers.

I would add that a vehicle that lasts 1MM miles will, by definition, sell fewer vehicles than less durable trucks, simply due to the fact that it lasts longer before needing to be replaced.

I think you are incorrect. Vast numbers of people will likely buy the Tesla specifically because it has a funky look. in my case I figure it'll be the only vehicle I own. I'll have a used model S for sale in a few years. :)

As to longevity. In the long run yes, you sell less vehicles over a given time period if they last longer. That's why Detroit changed everything in the last 30 years. Vehicles used to only get about 50 to 60,000 mi, that would be considered very low now. Still, up front you sell more than everybody else. That's what Tesla will do with the cybertruck. Eventually they'll have to raise its price, but that's okay, I'll have mine by then.