Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck announce prices may actually happen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reality is that we don't really know, who saw this massive of price reductions across the board?
A lot of people.

Musk said this would happen back in July. And multiple other times.

The only real unknown was when and how deep they would be. It was pretty obvious there was a huge commodity bubble but any time you mentioned it in the context of Cybertruck pricing people would shout you down.

Pages of this on other threads here.

Reactions: cdub and vickh
Reactions: vickh
I predicted this in October to the month on the Y forum and even started the thread. I think you have 2 things to look at with CT, because it is a truck the credit is up to $80k, the other is Tesla may want to destroy competition and price at $59k. I canceled my Rivian order after the price reduction since I was only considering it due to the high cost of the Y.

The Gigapress is getting put together quicker than expected, waiting to see prototype stainless body parts in the recycle bins. Still wondering about some design issues. The right side blind spot looks huge- so wide-angle camera views are a must. The steep angle of the windshield may be a problem, as previous vehicles I have had with steep windshields reflected the top of the dashboard enough to obscure the view outward. The flat reflective tailgate might blind the poor bastards following me in the morning or sunset, so I might have to wrap that part.
Thinking the 4-motor will price just under $80K for the rebate, but that 4-wheel steering, the Solar tonneau cover, along with FSD will be add-on options that will still allow the rebate.

No way a Tri motor or 4 motor are under $80k. Look at all the other cars form tesla with same setup... $100k. The only version under $80k will be the dual motor.
Irrelevant. All other cars with that setup are produced in low volume.

Cybertruck production will be an order of magnitude higher. To sell that many vehicles they will have to price it much differently than the Model S and X.

Again, the CT will not be priced below the Model Y and will not be priced at $60k. Why so this so hard to understand? Unlike other Tesla Models, the CT is in “demand”, and I’ll say it again, Tesla is not going to “destroy” competition even with a $59k CT. The Model 3 and Model Y haven’t “destroyed” anyone.

Seems to me that most Tesla models bought in the last 2 years were purchased for Profit and not really because they were “in demand” which is why you see the used car market flooded with Teslas.

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44
According To Tesla specs the Long range Model Y costs 59,990 with a 81 KwH battery with a range of 330 miles. I would think that the cheapest Cybertruck would need a larger battery to go the same distance which would cost more money. Wouldn't the 500 mile Cybertruck need a battery above 200 KwH? Which would make the Truck cost more than the Electric Hummer.

According To Tesla specs the Long range Model Y costs 59,990 with a 81 KwH battery with a range of 330 miles. I would think that the cheapest Cybertruck would need a larger battery to go the same distance which would cost more money. Wouldn't the 500 mile Cybertruck need a battery above 200 KwH? Which would make the Truck cost more than the Electric Hummer.
I don’t think Cybertruck‘s battery will be bigger than 200 kWh.

Tesla is manufacturing their cells in-house. They are likely to get the IRA tax credits for manufacturing cells in the US equal to around $45/ kWh. That plus their own in-house cell production will bring their battery costs way down. One of the biggest goals for 4680 production was to bring down cell costs and Tesla management has said that’s been largely successful. Likely their battery will cost less than half that of the Hummer.

Keep in mind, the Hummer is super in-efficient. It’s a 9,000 pound monster with apparently little concern for efficiency.

Truck will not cost Tesla anywhere near what it costs for GM to make the Hummer. Likely less than half.

Again, the CT will not be priced below the Model Y and will not be priced at $60k. Why so this so hard to understand? Unlike other Tesla Models, the CT is in “demand”, and I’ll say it again, Tesla is not going to “destroy” competition even with a $59k CT. The Model 3 and Model Y haven’t “destroyed” anyone.

Seems to me that most Tesla models bought in the last 2 years were purchased for Profit and not really because they were “in demand” which is why you see the used car market flooded with Teslas.
DM CT was advertised at $50k when the Y LR was ~$52k. If the Y LR stays <$60k when the CT comes out, the DM CT will also be <$60k, not >$80k. 😁

Everyone is forgetting the CT is much cheaper to make than a Y meaning they make more margin at the same price. I expect the DM CT to have 100Kw pack and the tri and 4 motor pack to be no more than 150Kw.

In this case you have 20% more batteries but probably 20% or more extra margin. So yes they can make = to or more margin at a lower price.

Reactions: eleison
Everyone is forgetting the CT is much cheaper to make than a Y meaning they make more margin at the same price. I expect the DM CT to have 100Kw pack and the tri and 4 motor pack to be no more than 150Kw.

In this case you have 20% more batteries but probably 20% or more extra margin. So yes they can make = to or more margin at a lower price.

No curves... barely any rounded edges. Basically a trapezoid on wheels? Hahhahah.. to keep the cost low. We will see if this is a case, but it makes sense. Slap a flat panel of steel on the back, top and sides and call it a day? Hahhaha maybe?

• Funny
Reactions: vickh and Eric9610