Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck as mobile powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

winfield100

Supporting Member
Feb 16, 2013
SW Floriduh
Are there folks considering using the cybertruck as a stationary/mobile set of powerwalls?
My initial thoughts were the 75 kW is actually ~5 powerwalls plus a basic truck that I could combine with my 11,655 PV array.
Legally I cannot disconnect from the grid, but hurricane Irma caused >5 days no electric.
My minimum electric bill is $21.69
If I buy electricity at night it’s 8.9cents per kWh
If I sell the same electricity it’s 2.585cents per kWh
I make ~190% of my needs
I also see the CT as a potential node in a Virtual Power Plant with my PV

Are there folks considering using the cybertruck as a stationary/mobile set of powerwalls?
My initial thoughts were the 75 kW is actually ~5 powerwalls plus a basic truck that I could combine with my 11,655 PV array.
Legally I cannot disconnect from the grid, but hurricane Irma caused >5 days no electric.
My minimum electric bill is $21.69
If I buy electricity at night it’s 8.9cents per kWh
If I sell the same electricity it’s 2.585cents per kWh
I make ~190% of my needs
I also see the CT as a potential node in a Virtual Power Plant with my PV
In my perfect world I'll be able to buy/install the switch/monitoring unit for my house that Tesla uses with the Powerwall as a separate component and plug my Cybertruck into that. I'll be able to "load shift" and provide backup power from an over 100kWh+ battery (while using my solar). In a few years this set up would pay for the installation costs and provide days of quiet non-polluting power.

Reactions: Ken Edwards
The cybertruk will have limited output on the 240V, etc. Basically whatever the AC to DC inverter will allow (that's 48A in the current 3/S/X). It will be ideal for emergency backup, i.e. hooking a refrigerator into, etc. but Tesla is not going to give you enough output to hook your entire home, or even a substantial fraction of the home, into the truck.

I've got $5 that says if Tesla does allow this, that they won't give you access to that full 48A either. That would put undue stress on the inverter, increasing the number of failures in warranty, etc.

Reactions: bjhinkle
The cybertruk will have limited output on the 240V, etc. Basically whatever the AC to DC inverter will allow (that's 48A in the current 3/S/X). It will be ideal for emergency backup, i.e. hooking a refrigerator into, etc. but Tesla is not going to give you enough output to hook your entire home, or even a substantial fraction of the home, into the truck.

I've got $5 that says if Tesla does allow this, that they won't give you access to that full 48A either. That would put undue stress on the inverter, increasing the number of failures in warranty, etc.
And yet, the smallest version of the Cybertruck has ~1/2 of a power pack (>5 powerwalls equivalent)

And yet, the smallest version of the Cybertruck has ~1/2 of a power pack (>5 powerwalls equivalent)

It's not the amount of power in the pack, it's the RATE at which you can access it.

My P85 has 2X the power that my 3 powerwalls have, but Tesla doesn't install the hardware in the car to allow for pack-back-to-grid.

They will have that hardware, in a limited sense in the Cybertruk, but it's not capable of the RATE of power output (measured in AMPs or KW - take your pick) that you would need to run a house from.

Also, do you know the thickness of copper cable that would be required for that? Go look at your house's main wiring input. It will be a thick cable capable of 100A (older homes) or 200A continuous input. It's like 3/4" of an inch thick per line (and there are multiple).

It's not the amount of power in the pack, it's the RATE at which you can access it.

My P85 has 2X the power that my 3 powerwalls have, but Tesla doesn't install the hardware in the car to allow for pack-back-to-grid.

They will have that hardware, in a limited sense in the Cybertruk, but it's not capable of the RATE of power output (measured in AMPs or KW - take your pick) that you would need to run a house from.

Also, do you know the thickness of copper cable that would be required for that? Go look at your house's main wiring input. It will be a thick cable capable of 100A (older homes) or 200A continuous input. It's like 3/4" of an inch thick per line (and there are multiple).
@bkp_duke
Did you even understand the original premise?
Part is “node in a VPP”
I wasn’t clear also in original post
Not saying “run the whole house” obviously.
You have your PV array and 3 powerwalls and should be full aware

You are correct, you are were not clear you wanted to be a node in a virtual power plant.

This, however, is regulated by your specific power company. I don't know about FL, but here in CA I'm prohibited from selling power back to the grid from my powerwalls (I can only do it on solar). Here at least, they do monitor and know if I export back in the evenings.

It's stupid, doesn't make sense, but it is regulated, so just make sure you follow the regulations for your power company.

Basically, you want to "rate arbitrage" with the pack on the truk. That's fine, but it's not as simple as having the freedom to "do what you want". You may own the truk, but they own the grid and determine the rules for it's usage.

You are correct, you are were not clear you wanted to be a node in a virtual power plant.

This, however, is regulated by your specific power company. I don't know about FL, but here in CA I'm prohibited from selling power back to the grid from my powerwalls (I can only do it on solar). Here at least, they do monitor and know if I export back in the evenings.

It's stupid, doesn't make sense, but it is regulated, so just make sure you follow the regulations for your power company.

Basically, you want to "rate arbitrage" with the pack on the truk. That's fine, but it's not as simple as having the freedom to "do what you want". You may own the truk, but they own the grid and determine the rules for it's usage.
@bkp_duke
Actually,
I was very clear, it’s the last line in the comment about VPP’s
At the moment the “rate arbitrage” goes against me
Since my PTO, I export about 8,500kwh during the day to LCEC, at 2.585cents per kWh
At nights, I bought the same or similar electrons back at 8.9cents per kWh, about 3,000 - 3,500 (no excess check yet)
So I need about 10kwh per day, at night, eh. (More in summer)(but shorter nights)
Presently, “behind the meter” isn’t regulated

@bkp_duke
Actually,
I was very clear, it’s the last line in the comment about VPP’s
At the moment the “rate arbitrage” goes against me
Since my PTO, I export about 8,500kwh during the day to LCEC, at 2.585cents per kWh
At nights, I bought the same or similar electrons back at 8.9cents per kWh, about 3,000 - 3,500 (no excess check yet)
So I need about 10kwh per day, at night, eh. (More in summer)(but shorter nights)
Presently, “behind the meter” isn’t regulated

Yeah, you weren't clear, and I'm sure others read the same that I did. But I understand your premise now.

Here, behind the meter is STILL regulated. If you are not in FL, then that is fortunate. I know the one time I exported to the grid after the sun went down I got a notice from SDG&E, they didn't like that. I can, however, use from my powerwalls to my heart's content and they cannot say anything.

EDIT - my initial point still stands. You won't be able to run large things like AC units from the cybertruk. It won't have a high enough amperage output to do that. That will limit how much you can arbitrage from the pack in the truk.

You ought to check out the Jack Rickard video on Youtube. He discusses using the 240v plug of the truck to back feed as back up for a house. All depends on the software limitations imposed. Do a search on youtube: Cybertruc +rickard. It is entertaining albeit long. It is the second video released on the truck, not the first.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
You ought to check out the Jack Rickard video on Youtube. He discusses using the 240v plug of the truck to back feed as back up for a house. All depends on the software limitations imposed. Do a search on youtube: Cybertruc +rickard. It is entertaining albeit long. It is the second video released on the truck, not the first.
@Morgantown
Thank you.
(;is that the EVTV? I listen .to jack at 2x speed with captions and it sounds normal speed

Agreed. Jack says the CT will most likely use the inverter/charger combo that's in the M3/MY. IIRC, it's 10kW. Which would definitely allow a full 50A @240V... This would be a nice way to backfeed our homes (with an interlock for safety) and run critical (not all loads but critical loads) in your house in a pinch. Great for brief (few days) power outages. C'mon Tesla! Please let us do this!

Reactions: Supernaut
Agreed. Jack says the CT will most likely use the inverter/charger combo that's in the M3/MY. IIRC, it's 10kW. Which would definitely allow a full 50A @240V... This would be a nice way to backfeed our homes (with an interlock for safety) and run critical (not all loads but critical loads) in your house in a pinch. Great for brief (few days) power outages. C'mon Tesla! Please let us do this!

In Australia I live in a coastal region with bush fire risk. When a bush fire rages power lines go down. We do have back up power but it is old. Far simpler to have electric backup. My wish is that Tesla would allow and even fit the capability to each and every vehicle to be used in an emergency - ie not for everyday use. Could also assist in being able to give another Tesla a bit of a helping charge if necessary.

Many reports have shown that V2G/V2H has been built into recent model 3s... it does make you wonder if they’re testing products with the recent release of the new WiFi charger that has the ability for software updates.

• Love