Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck as mobile powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You ought to check out the Jack Rickard video on Youtube. He discusses using the 240v plug of the truck to back feed as back up for a house. All depends on the software limitations imposed. Do a search on youtube: Cybertruc +rickard. It is entertaining albeit long. It is the second video released on the truck, not the first.

You may also be interested in this article that I wrote a couple of weeks before Jack’s video came out that discusses AC output on trucks today and the Cybertruck’s possible use of a bidirectional charger design:

Tesla plans to innovate AC power outlets on Cybertruck

Are there folks considering using the cybertruck as a stationary/mobile set of powerwalls?
My initial thoughts were the 75 kW is actually ~5 powerwalls plus a basic truck that I could combine with my 11,655 PV array.
Legally I cannot disconnect from the grid, but hurricane Irma caused >5 days no electric.
My minimum electric bill is $21.69
If I buy electricity at night it’s 8.9cents per kWh
If I sell the same electricity it’s 2.585cents per kWh
I make ~190% of my needs
I also see the CT as a potential node in a Virtual Power Plant with my PV

Using it this way has added value, however, one has to take into account the ability of the battery to handle such loads without experiencing degradation. Imagine, if the battery had to be replaced after 5 years at a cost of 10,000 - the result would be $2,000 a year effective cost. Tesla has built into their batteries certain expectations about how they will be used, and that is why it is not allowed on current models.

The fact that they are offering the plugs heavily implies that the CT will be using the new "million mile" battery and that the economics will be different. How different remains to be seen.

Never mind, of course, that there are other issues like having to charge your car during the day when you ought to be driving it to work (I'm sure, you are retired, working at home, etc but most are not), not having a full charge in the morning should you wish to go somewhere.

The real solution is to wait until prices for powerwall become reasonable. Tesla batteries from salvaged are decently priced, but require some more components to be used like a powerwall.

Last edited:
Today’s 2021 F150 reveal shows that the hybrid F150 will have a 7.2 kW inverter option to power a 30A 240V receptacle. Since no other pickup truck, EV or otherwise, or even any other EV has even stated what their power output options are, the Ford F-150 is now the electrical power output king.
Yep. Most pickups today only come with a pathetic single 120V 400W outlet option.

The best power outlet arrangement I know of today is the pair of 120V outlets on the Mitsubishi Outlander hybrid SUV on a circuit rated for 1500 Watts.

Bollinger says their pickup and SUV will have 10 outlets but they are only 120V and the circuit rating isn’t given. And, of course, those vehicles are not actually available yet.

Bollinger says their pickup and SUV will have 10 outlets but they are only 120V and the circuit rating isn’t given. And, of course, those vehicles are not actually available yet.

Exactly. RIvian and Cybertruck both are boasting powerful AC power, but neither have specs. With no specs, it’s just boasting by clueless marketing people. 10 outlets? Ooooh, that sounds good says the marketing intern. That’s a big number.

Sigh.

Reactions: Jeff N
Today’s 2021 F150 reveal shows that the hybrid F150 will have a 7.2 kW inverter option to power a 30A 240V receptacle. Since no other pickup truck, EV or otherwise, or even any other EV has even stated what their power output options are, the Ford F-150 is now the electrical power output king.

5 Fun Facts About the 2021 F-150’s Onboard Generator | PickupTrucks.com

So in a podcast that dropped today, Elon stated that the Cybertruck will have "high amperage" 240V output. He said they were going to give "access to the battery". While no specs were given, this at least sounds encouraging.

DAILY DRIVE PODCAST: August 3, 2020 | One-on-one with Elon Musk (Part 2): A third U.S. plant 'very likely'

I have a totally off grid situation. No power from grid is possible. I've preordered both the 2 & 3 motor CTs. I've read that the CT super charger cord is good for 250 kw of DC power to charge the CT battery. The CT battery should be close to 200+ kwh. That's similar in size to the $120,000 Power Pack. Does anyone know if the electric drive units on the CT are all 3 phase AC motors? Or are they using a DC permanent magnet motor on the second and third drive units? Is there just one inverter on the CT that drives two or more 3 phase AC electric drive units? Could we plug a supercharger cord into the CT and power a house with the CT battery's DC current? I doubt Tesla sells a super charger cord, so that may be wishful thinking. Alternately thinking, could we tap into the inverted 3 phase AC line that feeds a second/ third 3 phase AC drive units for high amperage AC power?

I have a totally off grid situation. No power from grid is possible. I've preordered both the 2 & 3 motor CTs. I've read that the CT super charger cord is good for 250 kw of DC power to charge the CT battery. The CT battery should be close to 200+ kwh. That's similar in size to the $120,000 Power Pack. Does anyone know if the electric drive units on the CT are all 3 phase AC motors? Or are they using a DC permanent magnet motor on the second and third drive units? Is there just one inverter on the CT that drives two or more 3 phase AC electric drive units? Could we plug a supercharger cord into the CT and power a house with the CT battery's DC current? I doubt Tesla sells a super charger cord, so that may be wishful thinking. Alternately thinking, could we tap into the inverted 3 phase AC line that feeds a second/ third 3 phase AC drive units for high amperage AC power?
There is no Supercharger cord. Tesla may have the ability for the charging plug on the vehicle to do V2G but Tesla may never enable it. There will be a 240v plug in the bed. That is your best bet. No you won't be able to tap into the lines powering the motors unless you want to void your warranty. Lol

You are correct, you are were not clear you wanted to be a node in a virtual power plant.

This, however, is regulated by your specific power company. I don't know about FL, but here in CA I'm prohibited from selling power back to the grid from my powerwalls (I can only do it on solar). Here at least, they do monitor and know if I export back in the evenings.

It's stupid, doesn't make sense, but it is regulated, so just make sure you follow the regulations for your power company.

Basically, you want to "rate arbitrage" with the pack on the truk. That's fine, but it's not as simple as having the freedom to "do what you want". You may own the truk, but they own the grid and determine the rules for it's usage.
It's strange indeed and vary from state to state.

I'm in MA and I'm not only allowed to export from from PW to grid, I'm getting paid for that. There is program in place when grid operator is tapping into PWs during peak demand and owners getting paid for this.

I wish CTruck could be used with conjunction with my solar/PW setup. Not really interesting in exporting but having a bigger backup capacity stored in truck's batteries and used for home back up would be awesome.

could we tap into the inverted 3 phase AC line that feeds a second/ third 3 phase AC drive units for high amperage AC power?

Might be safer to tap the DC wires from a junction block feeding front motor, front mounted AC/heat pump, DC-DC converter assuming CT has this junction box as Model S/X. Then, if the car wakes up to charge the 12V battery, the junction box has power to at least one of the lines. Could force battery to be drained using small 500W inverter which would keep DC-DC going for a while and tap the ~400V DC at the junction.

Are there folks considering using the cybertruck as a stationary/mobile set of powerwalls?
My initial thoughts were the 75 kW is actually ~5 powerwalls plus a basic truck that I could combine with my 11,655 PV array.
Legally I cannot disconnect from the grid, but hurricane Irma caused >5 days no electric.
My minimum electric bill is $21.69
If I buy electricity at night it’s 8.9cents per kWh
If I sell the same electricity it’s 2.585cents per kWh
I make ~190% of my needs
I also see the CT as a potential node in a Virtual Power Plant with my PV
In most states, maybe all, you cannot sell stored energy to arbitrage the rates.

In most states, maybe all, you cannot sell stored energy to arbitrage the rates.
it is not so much arbitraging the rates as perhaps "time shifting" using a mobile power wall, "C'truk"
It gets mighty irksome making ~140% of my needs and sending excess electrons to the grid then buying them back at night at ~4x the cost.
We don't have VPP's around here yet

Reactions: SmartElectric