Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Battery and Powertrain Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i
You say that now, but when you get your tri motor CT you will be very happy you got it
:D:D
I got one of them hot rod pick-ups (It's a hemi) that goes fast....And I feel silly for having the part that goes fast. I'm getting the 2m, If the 3m has a bunch of doodads besides a bigger battery I'll eye it over. If not, just give me the 2m with a bigger battery for a few grand more.

How about a "solar charger in a bag" Something made of a film/fabric that you could lay-out and stake in place that could put some serious miles back in the tank? You could go way way way out in the woods or cross the Sahara with it.
Hey BigEe, you want to make news? do that with a Cyber.
I remember reading a National Geographic article that told of a party of 2 vehicles trying to cross the Sahara. Somehow they didn't bring enough fuel. They got in a bind and started dying. Only after some of them died did one guy figure they could drain the oil out of one of the vehicles and use it in the diesel vehicle to get to the next civilized point.
having a fuel station wherever you went (except the extreme North or South in their Winters) would be about as cool a ride (both the vehicle and the trip) as could still happen on Earth..it'd be like exploring....MARS... going where no vehicle had truly gone before...all on its own.
"We'll get there in eight days if the Sun shines."

The 500 mile range seems to be one of the major selling points, so hopefully Tesla will notice that and make a cheaper 500 mile version. . I wouldn't hold out for that much cheaper of a price, however. They can charge a premium for the long range version. Its like they are just kind of throwing in the extra motor in the most expensive version to have go-fast bragging rights.

Reactions: beachmiles
As it stands I am going to pay $20,000 for the extra range. I don't need three motors. I don't need 14,000 lbs towing. I don't need (or want) 2.9s 0-60.

So upgrading the dual to a 500 mile long range for anything under $20,000 would be what I would take.
Which is exactly why I don't think Tesla will make a dual motor 500 mile range vehicle. Why would they when they cut their margins when people will add 20k to their order for the range...

Given the currently calculated price versus miles of range, I think I’ll stick with the trimotor:
21749E59-0B21-4FB4-9F44-06EF96B0E88F.jpeg

I keep thinking there’s more to the + on the end of the range estimates than we can guess right now. While they haven’t said anything further, for some reason I keep expecting them to drop a big surprise, in a good way, that the ranges are tied to some towing.

With the recently updated Model Y ranges, and on the Earnings call, Elon stating the Model S will be coming up to 400 miles in the “near” future. By the time CT is out, their motor, and battery efficiency will be far beyond where we can comprehend today.

Reactions: Brennerman
I keep thinking there’s more to the + on the end of the range estimates than we can guess right now. While they haven’t said anything further, for some reason I keep expecting them to drop a big surprise, in a good way, that the ranges are tied to some towing.

With the recently updated Model Y ranges, and on the Earnings call, Elon stating the Model S will be coming up to 400 miles in the “near” future. By the time CT is out, their motor, and battery efficiency will be far beyond where we can comprehend today.
I posted a thread a few weeks back that said exactly that and no one responded in a positive manner.
I agree, in two years batteries will have advanced another generation. Big Ee talks about huge news coming at the April Battery talk.

Reactions: parapyropig
How about a "solar charger in a bag"
People way underestimate what it takes to charge a battery that massive, and the power required to go any appreciable distance.

CT may use 500-1000 kW to move one mile. (My itty bitty Leaf averaged 250kW/mile).
Using the 110v charger, you'll move enough electricity (at >1000W, equivalent to a hairdryer) to get 1-2 miles.
I often use a portable 1m^2 solar panel that practically puts out 70 watts. That thing is heavy at 26 lbs (and $250).
You'd need 15 of them, at near 400 pounds (and $3,750), spread out across 15 square meters (about 140 square feet) and well positioned, just to charge equivalent to the paltry equivalent of a 110v outlet at nominal max current.

Using some near-possible "fabric solar panel" would likely require substantially more area (equating to common PV weight), and cost about the same (or more).

Either way, you're looking at a lot of mass, volume, cost, and effort for something that you'll practically never use because it's so awkward. Just moving it will chew up non-trivial mileage.

Yes, Elon suggested installing a solar bed cover. That works because (A) he's positioned to outright replace the cover assembly with a roll-up solar panel, and (B) he makes clear it's a "trickle charger" best suited to long parking and survival-type emergencies.

Real solar charging of the CT will require a substantial, and hardly portable, PV installation. Don't get me wrong, I'd like "solar charger in a bag" as much as anyone; I actually run my office on portable solar all summer, and have lived the practical limits; solar-charging a CT would be glorious but don't get your hopes up.

Upshot: absolute solar maximum power harvesting is ~1300W/m^2; in practice you get 1% of that. Do the math.

People way underestimate what it takes to charge a battery that massive, and the power required to go any appreciable distance.

CT may use 500-1000 kW to move one mile. (My itty bitty Leaf averaged 250kW/mile).
Using the 110v charger, you'll move enough electricity (at >1000W, equivalent to a hairdryer) to get 1-2 miles.
I often use a portable 1m^2 solar panel that practically puts out 70 watts. That thing is heavy at 26 lbs (and $250).
You'd need 15 of them, at near 400 pounds (and $3,750), spread out across 15 square meters (about 140 square feet) and well positioned, just to charge equivalent to the paltry equivalent of a 110v outlet at nominal max current.

Using some near-possible "fabric solar panel" would likely require substantially more area (equating to common PV weight), and cost about the same (or more).

Either way, you're looking at a lot of mass, volume, cost, and effort for something that you'll practically never use because it's so awkward. Just moving it will chew up non-trivial mileage.

Yes, Elon suggested installing a solar bed cover. That works because (A) he's positioned to outright replace the cover assembly with a roll-up solar panel, and (B) he makes clear it's a "trickle charger" best suited to long parking and survival-type emergencies.

Real solar charging of the CT will require a substantial, and hardly portable, PV installation. Don't get me wrong, I'd like "solar charger in a bag" as much as anyone; I actually run my office on portable solar all summer, and have lived the practical limits; solar-charging a CT would be glorious but don't get your hopes up.

Upshot: absolute solar maximum power harvesting is ~1300W/m^2; in practice you get 1% of that. Do the math.
OK. I believe you know your *sugar*. So that's a "no" to solar-charging with a parachute photo-cell.