Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My electrician ran 6ga wire for my 14-50 to a 50amp, but perhaps the shorter 20 foot distance is the reason for the thinner cable.

If you leave it unterminated and use it to hook to a Wall Connector directly you can save 1/3rd of the money by running two not three conductors plus ground. Perhaps the best bet is just to run conduit and pull a string thru it so that later you can pull WHATEVER you decide. I just helped a friend do that in his new house, It was super easy to just tie the romex to the string and then tug it thru and hook it up to a breaker that we also bought and wire it into the Wall Connector.
You don't want to run Romex in a conduit. The insulation acts as heat insulation inside the conduit. I got busted by an inspector once. You want individual wires THHN

My Tesla charges at 72 Amps at home. To bad the M3 was reduced
The Model 3, and the Model Y, oh and the Model S and the Model X, all reduced to 48 amps. Probably the Cybertruck will be too. Oh, and the Tesla Wall Connector is now 48 amps only. Really I am not felling too bad about this. 100 amps to feed the old Wall Connector is some expensive cable and breaker, and that's HALF the power coming into my house. Perhaps if I had an X I would feel differently, but I can charge more than 14% an hour, so a couple of hours gets me some serious additional distance and I never have a problem being charged the next morning.

You don't want to run Romex in a conduit. The insulation acts as heat insulation inside the conduit. I got busted by an inspector once. You want individual wires THHN
I googled it, apparently there is some cases where it is OK, depending on the wire and conduit size. There is some calculation about % cable in a conduit. also can vary from jurisdiction or even inspector! My inspector busted my solar installers for something that, they admitted, was perfectly legal in the neighboring state! and they are all using the Federal NEC! Just like the Bible, many interpretations of the same book.

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
The Model 3, and the Model Y, oh and the Model S and the Model X, all reduced to 48 amps. Probably the Cybertruck will be too. Oh, and the Tesla Wall Connector is now 48 amps only. Really I am not felling too bad about this. 100 amps to feed the old Wall Connector is some expensive cable and breaker, and that's HALF the power coming into my house. Perhaps if I had an X I would feel differently, but I can charge more than 14% an hour, so a couple of hours gets me some serious additional distance and I never have a problem being charged the next morning.
That’s why I have a 400 amp service. But I get what your saying. Every time I look at a new house I ask the sales person . How many Amps is the main service? I can tell by there reactions that nobody seems to ask that very important question. I have the original wall connector and it is hooked up to a 100 amp breaker. So I get the full 72 full amps. It’s awesome. Plus it has the longer cable too. To bad the newer ones don’t have the long cables too.

That’s why I have a 400 amp service. But I get what your saying. Every time I look at a new house I ask the sales person . How many Amps is the main service? I can tell by there reactions that nobody seems to ask that very important question. I have the original wall connector and it is hooked up to a 100 amp breaker. So I get the full 72 full amps. It’s awesome. Plus it has the longer cable too. To bad the newer ones don’t have the long cables too.

Absolutely no one asks. We installed charging at our previous 2 houses and as far as I'm aware no one that was actually interested in buying cared. Of course, the house we recently bought has 400A service, and was the first thing I looked into.

That said, I can't see much of a use case for greater than 48A for level 2 charging, at least not with availability of the SC network.

So you can recharge in an hour. Not necessary. But hard on the grid. Which means you'll pay for it sooner or later.
We have a Model 3 and Y. I think there are 4 houses on the 25 kVA (think 25 kW) transformer. I can charge up to 40A but have both turned down to 20A because we can still charge overnight. With Covid we're charging once a week.

My home is fairly new but only had 200-amp service when I moved in. The home is all-electric, including heat, so in the winter the biggest draw occurs between sunset and sunrise. I didn’t need to do an energy calculation because my local power company provided me with my peak energy consumption: 199 amps. Since we have 2 Model S’ it was imperative to upgrade my service to 400 amps. It was not a difficult DIY job but did require my power company to come out and cut power to the house and and they wouldn’t restore power until my work passed inspection but all-in-all it was an interesting one day job. One caveat, I probably spent 4 weeks researching what work needed to be performed and what materials and tools I needed to buy. Next time I’m in the housing market I’ll definitely ask the realtor about the electrical service.

people, people... please... i have the answer. calm down :).

Boat's have been doing this for decades, as well as large trucks! Two fuel filler caps!

Thus, TWO CHARGING PORTS on the truck.

You park this behemoth between two available super chargers (or just grab a tow strap and drag any ICE car out of them).

Then.. behind each tail light is a single charge port! BAM! 150kW becomes 300kW. 250kW becomes 500kW!

You're welcome ;) Each port charges 1 of the 2 100kWh packs! ta-da!

GM did the thing.

GM did the thing.
This is good GM logic. Your vehicle goes the same or less distance than the competition so rather than make your vehicle more efficient you install a second charging port so your customer can pay twice as much and charge in the same time to go the same distance as the competition.

It's probably gonna be the norm as there are LOTS of charge sites where you can do this and if you are driving a vehicle that supports this it is likely because you are gonna use it to tow something that would really drop the range on any vehicle.

I have already seen a bunch of example Superchargers set up for towing, in addition to being pull thru they could easily be configured with a charger on both sides. Honestly the problem is currently NOT Tesla, its EA and EVgo and ChargePoint. Where are the dual stall pull thru sites? I don't believe they exist yet, at least I haven't seen pics. EA has chargers all over the place, maybe 4 times as many locations as Tesla, but at each location only a very few stalls. As people start to tow with these dual charger rigs expect things to get ugly.

I mean have you seen the Porsche owners on YouTube begging the other car owners to save the 350kW chargers for them as there is typically only one per location and it slows them down not to be able to use them, but it doesn't help other cars at all to use them (except Hyundai and a few others including Teslas)

And then there are cars that can only take up to 50 kW. They should have their own charge network.
With the V2 Superchargers, it should not take too long to charge even a large pack. Also I think that the efficiency advantage of shorter charge times will become apparent when the CT comes out to compete with the Lightning and Silverado.

I don't know, doesn't the cT allow me to tow up to 14,000 lbs? THAT'S gonna take a minute to refill the battery after. Would not hate it if a second port allows either dual charging or MegaCharging.

But yeah, probably gonna be more efficient than the Hummer and whatnot.