Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck is a scam.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe when relatively new.

But we just got out from under two older ICE vehicles (a 2006 Honda Ridgeline and a 2011 Ford Flex, both bought used), and I can guarantee you they were NOT maintenance free. Neither was a lemon, but little things were cropping up on a regular basis, and one BIG thing that made the Flex not worth fixing.

At 18 and 14 years old, depending on miles, that's to be expected. Tesla's biggest issue is you NEED a battery at a certain point and that's what demolishes the value... once we refine the lithium renewal process and batteries are affordable/reasonable, I feel like EV resale will jump up considerably!

At 18 and 14 years old, depending on miles, that's to be expected. Tesla's biggest issue is you NEED a battery at a certain point and that's what demolishes the value... once we refine the lithium renewal process and batteries are affordable/reasonable, I feel like EV resale will jump up considerably!
especially given the replacement cost of a new vehicle, and the durability of (some) cars made in the last decade.

let's suppose a new battery is $20,000 for your existing Model S. that sucks, super sad face.
as a replacement, a new Model S is $74,990 (before taxes etc). that super sucks, super super sadder face.

at least for me, because I wouldn't personally be deriving $54k in additional value for that replacement. $54k is better to deploy into something else, imo.

maybe the long long run winning formula for the consumer is selecting the manufacturer that makes the most durable cars, with the most available replacement parts so that future me is going to continue loving what i've got.

if you're getting into the battery replacement biz, lmk. i'd be interested!

Maybe when relatively new.

But we just got out from under two older ICE vehicles (a 2006 Honda Ridgeline and a 2011 Ford Flex, both bought used), and I can guarantee you they were NOT maintenance free. Neither was a lemon, but little things were cropping up on a regular basis, and one BIG thing that made the Flex not worth fixing.

So I can name personal experiences to try and prove my point (i.e. I saved my receipts for my '08 canyon for tax purposes for 208K miles and my total repair bills totaled were less than $1800) as you are doing, but that would be anecdotal.

Statistically, EVs are more expensive to maintain and less reliable than ICE vehicles. Obviously, they have potential to be better than ICE due to less components, however as of yet, they are not.

please post said statistics. i'd like to review the sources. genuine curiosity.
They will try to find examples where people ruin their tires in 3000 miles because they drive their cars like they are on a racetrack. Even the tire thing is nonsense. I mainly do highway driving and don't accelerate like an idiot. My tires last a long time.

I do 99% of my charging on private chargers (work mostly and very occasionally at home). I guess I’d just assumed this was the case for most EV owners…
if 99% (!) of your charging is at home (measured as % of total kwh charged annually) ... then you never, ever roadtrip. Even with only 2-3 roadtrips per year I'm at least 20%+ SC charging in terms of total kwh used.

They will try to find examples where people ruin their tires in 3000 miles because they drive their cars like they are on a racetrack. Even the tire thing is nonsense. I mainly do highway driving and don't accelerate like an idiot. My tires last a long time.
"last long" is always up to interpretation... I challenge anyone getting more than ~30k miles out of the OEM Michelin MXM4s.. even if you drive like grandma

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Last edited:
"last long" is always up to interpretation... I challenge anyone getting more than ~30k miles out of the OEM Michelin MXM4s.. even if you drive like grandma

I don't own an EV but I easily get 55K+ on my pickup tires, and have for years.

Typically what will happen is I'll damage on a construction site, claim Road hazard & then buy 1 new one so that I get 2 new tires on the rear and I'll move the other 2 best tires to the front and wait for another one to get damaged.

I don't own an EV but I easily get 55K+ on my pickup tires, and have for years.

Typically what will happen is I'll damage on a construction site, claim Road hazard & then buy 1 new one so that I get 2 new tires on the rear and I'll move the other 2 best tires to the front and wait for another one to get damaged.

Those nails can really come out of nowhere and show up in that sidewall... ;)

I think the comment was specific to EVs regarding the mileage, but makes sense. Shoot, I get like 4-5k miles out of my R888s on the Viper. LOL... but I drive it... "fun".

Reactions: Suns_PSD
So I can name personal experiences to try and prove my point (i.e. I saved my receipts for my '08 canyon for tax purposes for 208K miles and my total repair bills totaled were less than $1800) as you are doing, but that would be anecdotal.

Statistically, EVs are more expensive to maintain and less reliable than ICE vehicles. Obviously, they have potential to be better than ICE due to less components, however as of yet, they are not.
I’ve owned two new Porsches… annual oil change $675… every other year it’s 1400-2000 dependent on the year/mileage (2, 4, 6 year point)…. Change tires every 20K miles if lucky (offset tire sizes)… change brakes/rotors $1000/axle every 30-40K miles. God forbid you have something go out after warranty ends. In comparison had a M3 for for 4 years… new tires at 25K and changed brake fluid at 2 year point… nothing else for periodic mx.

so you make assertions in an authoritative manner, and cite no evidence. neat.

About 42,000 miles when we changed out ours. They probably had a few thousand more left but we were leaving on a long trip.

53098746840_a6799c1015_c.jpg

We are, in fact, grandparents, and joke about driving in “SUPER GERIATRIC MODE”, mostly at or below the speed limit. But also hustle through the twisties sometimes.