Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cybertruck is going to fail ? I doubt it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait, your friend owns a pool maintenance company and has over 100 vehicles. I am in the wrong business. Ps. If this was a CyberVan I would have ordered 5 and that would replace all of my Vans.

Yes. Tampa, Sarasota, Jacksonville. He has one apartment developer who has over 50 pools just by itself across multiple facilities and cities. Those pools get checked and cleaned daily which is fairly common for commercial pools.

Reactions: EinSV
This "truck" will not be something that businesses/companies will purchase for their fleet of maintenance type vehicles. I see this as a niche entry for nerds, geeks and freaks; anyone that desires to be different. (Nothing against the aforementioned; I'm a nerd/geek) :) A truck for a guy or gal that really can get by without one but, relish the idea that they can haul an easy chair or furniture from IKEA or the likes. I certainly don't see this as a true "utilitarian" vehicle. Different, durable, somewhat functional on the low side, weekend campsite vehicle, conversation piece and apocalyptic escape vehicle...yes. Tesla already has 200K+ reservations over the last 3 days. That says something.....

EDIT: If you're going to "disagree" with my "opinion" (and that's fine if you do) :)…..at least have the courtesy of stating "why", in your opinion, you "disagree". I'm truly interested in peoples thoughts.

Running a fleet is all about the bottom line. If you have the chance to buy trucks that cost a quarter or less of the price to run, require no maintenance, and simplify logistics for the same price, that seems like a simple choice.

Given the business ability to depreciate the purchase price on taxes, running costs should be much more important than purchase price for most businesses - and Cybertrucks should be much cheaper to run than anything vaguely comparable.

This old chestnut will never go away. People have been using it as an argument against electric vehicles for as long as I can remember.

I guess companies will never issue cell phones to employees, either. Can't trust the help to recharge their phones.
Haha not even close to a fair comparison. Every employee has HPWC laying around?

Or to use @woodguyatl as an example, his friend has 100 HPWC installed at his business? I doubt it

• Disagree
Reactions: RiverBrick
Haha not even close to a fair comparison. Every employee has HPWC laying around?

Or to use @woodguyatl as an example, his friend has 100 HPWC installed at his business? I doubt it

Let me understand. You've gone from claiming employees forgetting to plug-in will be a problem to stating lack of charging stations will be an issue?

Any competent employee will remember to plug-in and any business will install the appropriate number of charging stations for their needs. If that's too hard for them you have to wonder how they stay afloat.

Let me understand. You've gone from claiming employees forgetting to plug-in will be a problem to stating lack of charging stations will be an issue?

Any competent employee will remember to plug-in and any business will install the appropriate number of charging stations for their needs. If that's too hard for them you have to wonder how they stay afloat.
Well if a fleet is relying on wall outlets then even one night out of the week missing a plug in is catastrophic. These employees are usually high school graduates who aren’t invested in the company. They are there to cash checks.

But yes in the case of the guy above who has a fleet of 100, is he going to install 100 HPWC?

If only you could use a cheap electrical outlet like they use for RV’s. Somebody should suggest that to Elon.

His building is next to mine in the office park so I know he has 400 amp 3-phase service to a building that only has a few offices and a warehouse for chemicals. I wonder if that would be enough power for the 25 or so trucks that are at that location.

If not, I’m sure it would cost an absolute fortune to run 75’ of overhead wire to increase the service. Probably a whole days worth of revenue, maybe two.

Running a fleet is all about the bottom line. If you have the chance to buy trucks that cost a quarter or less of the price to run, require no maintenance, and simplify logistics for the same price, that seems like a simple choice.

Given the business ability to depreciate the purchase price on taxes, running costs should be much more important than purchase price for most businesses - and Cybertrucks should be much cheaper to run than anything vaguely comparable.
Plus any new green tax incentives that may be put into place from government. Also just watched one of Graham’s videos about the Cybertruck hitting a key weight in a business tax that could make the Cybertruck basically a write off for some companies.
The durability will be an obvious reason to look at it in a fleet, plus many of the savings mentioned in your post. Obviously not a truck for every company, but to say it has no potential in a fleet is absurd

If only you could use a cheap electrical outlet like they use for RV’s. Somebody should suggest that to Elon.

His building is next to mine in the office park so I know he has 400 amp 3-phase service to a building that only has a few offices and a warehouse for chemicals. I wonder if that would be enough power for the 25 or so trucks that are at that location.

If not, I’m sure it would cost an absolute fortune to run 75’ of overhead wire to increase the service. Probably a whole days worth of revenue, maybe two.

400A * 3 phases. If you're using the stock Gen2 Mobile connectors, they max out at 32A, needing 40A lines/breakers. So that'd be 10 on each line to line pair, 30 Cybertrucks charging at max rate simultaneously if the line isn't used for anything else at all.

Using 6-20 outlets and plug ends, you could double that, but then you'd only be charging at 208V, 16A - about 3.3 kW, say ten rated miles per hour of charging for each of the 60 Cybertrucks supported.

• Informative
Reactions: woodguyatl
400A * 3 phases. If you're using the stock Gen2 Mobile connectors, they max out at 32A, needing 40A lines/breakers. So that'd be 10 on each line to line pair, 30 Cybertrucks charging at max rate simultaneously if the line isn't used for anything else at all.

Using 6-20 outlets and plug ends, you could double that, but then you'd only be charging at 208V, 16A - about 3.3 kW, say ten rated miles per hour of charging for each of the 60 Cybertrucks supported.

I am talking at the edge of my knowledge but my electrician said our buildings have "open Delta" power with 2 240v legs and one 208v leg. So we might even have a little more juice or I am dead wrong.

Lol at @UCF3 not knowing you can daisy chain multiple HPWC off of a single circuit.

Think 500 per HPWC is an issue? This is even setting up charging with off the shelf solutions. Tesla can easily do an industrial HPWC with multiple load sharing plugs.

@Saghost gets it. For businesses it’s the opex that kills them - not capex.

Investing in low maintenance, multi mission low opex, section 179 deduction is a slam dunk.

yeah I think In the case of my example above my company would figure out a way to compensate us employees if we charge at home. In the early 90’s they wanted several of us to be on call, this was before many of us had high speed internet and wifi so the company paid for many of us to have a 2nd land line put in for dialing into work.

with today’s technology each vehicle could be geo cached. Cross reference that with the API data from the cyber truck and they could pay us for the electricity used at home.