Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck production likely delayed....Post your best guess of WHEN for the record!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to mention this talk about to side mirrors. I am not saying it's not possible but is that are truly planning to make it that way it's a long war from being approved for public use.
Not to mention this talk about to side mirrors. I am not saying it's not possible but is that are truly planning to make it that way it's a long war from being approved for public use.
Europe has already waived side mirror regulations in lieu of cameras and we are expected to do the same.

The form factor was and remains impossible to turn into a production vehicle. ... it can NEVER meet the federal and EU pedestrian safety requirements
Interesting to watch people opine that their few seconds' of thought is overwhelmingly superior to intensely brilliant & creative people who have vast resources at their disposal (including tremendous money and time) and huge incentive to get it right.

A major point of the form factor is elimination of costly curve stamping, along with practical elimination of framing.

Safety requirements are based on statistically acceptable losses. If Tesla can demonstrate (say, using billions of miles of recorded real-world data) that they have a 10x safer solution despite tempered steel & sharp corners, they can pull the legal strings to achieve waivers.

Those who know the rules tend to win.

Reactions: Bridor and tren01t
Interesting to watch people opine that their few seconds' of thought is overwhelmingly superior to intensely brilliant & creative people who have vast resources at their disposal (including tremendous money and time) and huge incentive to get it right.

A major point of the form factor is elimination of costly curve stamping, along with practical elimination of framing.

Safety requirements are based on statistically acceptable losses. If Tesla can demonstrate (say, using billions of miles of recorded real-world data) that they have a 10x safer solution despite tempered steel & sharp corners, they can pull the legal strings to achieve waivers.

+1 to this. Yes, the thing is hideous and those sharp corners will cause fatalities but I still pre-ordered a tri motor anyways. Tesla is now one of the top large cap growth companies in the US and this makes them too big to fail. Like all our other megacaps, the government will pander to them and infuse them with unlimited subsidies and interest-free debt and they will never, ever be regulated. I don't think Tesla execs even need to "know the rules" from this point as the rules will be changed or just won't apply to them going forward.

No doubt, the guberment will totally change the rules and forget about everything they have implemented over the last couple of decades just to get the Cybertruck out on the ro

Can anyone actually site any actual rules against these angles? Everyone is just taking it for granted here that this is the case.

Not so much change the rules as be persuaded to revisit them.

Pedestrian safety has been addressed predominantly via "crumple zones", because that's what the technology could most reasonably entail and regulations were crafted accordingly.
Persuade bureaucrats to revisit those axioms, in light of technological developments which were impossible prior, with actuarial data proving superiority of the new technology, and bureaucrats are happy to cautiously deign to change the rules.

To wit: USA sees about 6000 pedestrian/car fatalities per year; if, say, Tesla were to demonstrate a technology demonstrably reducing pedestrian fatality rate equivalent to 600 per year, bureaucrats would be hard-pressed to not approve that alternative tech via rule changes.

Not so much change the rules as be persuaded to revisit them.

Pedestrian safety has been addressed predominantly via "crumple zones", because that's what the technology could most reasonably entail and regulations were crafted accordingly.
Persuade bureaucrats to revisit those axioms, in light of technological developments which were impossible prior, with actuarial data proving superiority of the new technology, and bureaucrats are happy to cautiously deign to change the rules.

To wit: USA sees about 6000 pedestrian/car fatalities per year; if, say, Tesla were to demonstrate a technology demonstrably reducing pedestrian fatality rate equivalent to 600 per year, bureaucrats would be hard-pressed to not approve that alternative tech via rule changes.
Wow. Get off the pot.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
I can hope that’s not the case, and that they have a plan thats bigger then the next quarter profit results, but instead looking 5 - 10 years ahead.
The 3/Y are both excellent products, and both are produced in high volumes. Expanding that production, proclaiming it a victory, is picking low hanging fruit.
The cybertruck is completely new and they seem to be faltering at executing it fast. 2 delays have been announced in the last week and if you see my comments from a few days ago, my hope of getting my truck this time next year has been squashed by executive prime.
Tesla does not have a 5-10 year plan. Elon is incapable of doing any strategic planning. Elon thinks like a 10-year old boy. Seriously. I've been watching the guy for over a decade. This latest stunt with the robot is exactly what I'm talking about. Elon only cares about the new shiny thing.

The CT delays are directly related to 4680 development. The CT requires 4680s to reach the published specs. So the CT will be delayed until the 4680s hit mass production. Then it will be another "scramble" to get the CT line up and running and production ramped.

And those 4680's will start going into their bread and butter first......TM3 and TMY. I am still saying the CT will be a limited production type deal with Tesla introducing Normal looking Truck to compete with Rivian.........basically a commuter/weekend Truck not a work Truck.... which honestly I am o.k. with.

And those 4680's will start going into their bread and butter first......TM3 and TMY. I am still saying the CT will be a limited production type deal with Tesla introducing Normal looking Truck to compete with Rivian.........basically a commuter/weekend Truck not a work Truck.... which honestly I am o.k. with.
This is just speculation not backed up by anything. The Cybertruck was always going to get the new battery.

Speculation not backed by anything….. Jesus
Oh, that Musk guy again. I keep seeing his name pop up. What does he know, anyway?

I hasn't seen this. I was going by a later update that was less definite.

During Battery Day, Elon indicated that while the overall process is much simpler than current batteries, precision/complexity of the core process is much harder at mass production scale. Right there he basically predicted delay from the stated target date.

Reactions: TessP100D
What is the actual delay with the batteries? Raw materials, Complexity of build,or just no capacity to mass produce them?
Agree with @dazedNconfuzed They have them working on a pilot line but are having trouble scaling (ie speeding) it up. Based on the video they were showing at Battery Day, I'm guessing when they speed up the line the dry electrolyte sticks to the rollers or otherwise breaks up instead of being laid down onto the backing at a uniform rate.

If you've ever made fresh pasta, imagine if you sped up the machine when you were rolling the dough. It would be very tricky to feed the dough at exactly the right rate as you kept speeding up the machine.

Reactions: dazedNconfuzed
. Elon thinks like a 10-year old boy. Seriously. I've been watching the guy for over a decade. This latest stunt with the robot is exactly what I'm talking about. Elon only cares about the new shiny thing.

Right. a 10 year old boy. Shiny new thing.
smh

Unbelievable that someone can purport to have watched the person who created the most enterprise value and shareholder return by massive and fast execution of multi-front and multi-enterprise plans and can only muster childish and laughably false empty insults.

Reactions: Bridor
Side mirrors are a must. So is a round steering wheel, standard stock controls, door handles Etc. It’s required, needed and a deal killer if Crazy Elon continues down this path to the insane asylum.

• Disagree
Reactions: T3SLAROD and Bridor