Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still holding out hope they pull a Model Y on us.... and CT production is 6-month AHEAD of last plans. I know I know wishful thinking at best.... 🤞

With Giga Texas seemingly nearly complete, the windfall of such a massive backlog of CT pre-orders and the looming legacy brand and EV startups, this is not a deadline Tesla wants to push any further down the road then they absolutely have to.

If anything is a good reason for delays I rather it be the 4680 cells and structural pack which will be worth the wait.
I like the way you think but that seems impossible. CT design may not even be finished yet and rolling out a whole new assembly line has to take the remainder of 2022 (I am definitely not an expert though).

Still holding out hope they pull a Model Y on us.... and CT production is 6-month AHEAD of last plans. I know I know wishful thinking at best.... 🤞

With Giga Texas seemingly nearly complete, the windfall of such a massive backlog of CT pre-orders and the looming legacy brand and EV startups, this is not a deadline Tesla wants to push any further down the road then they absolutely have to.

If anything is a good reason for delays I rather it be the 4680 cells and structural pack which will be worth the wait.
I hope so too.

Rumors/ news/ events have been quite oddly mixed lately though so I’m just in wait and see mode.

Hopefully this earnings call won’t be a disappointment or non-event. Seems like Tesla’s management (including Musk) have repeatedly pushed off questions about the Cybertruck to the earnings call on the 26th so… ?? Maybe ”In about a month” will be this month.

Underwhelming in what way?

A year after the Cybertruck goes into production, Ford will be introducing the 2nd gen Lightning on its own platform
yeah - I don't get the underwhelming comment at all. range of 300 miles and generous torque / 0-60 and tow rating plus all the other features the F150 delivers in an EV platform is "underwhelming" ? and those are all final production specs...

Reactions: DblOSmith and Ogre

The Model Y was a modest evolution from the Model 3 ... the CT is entirely new. Also: Tesla can sell every Model Y they make in Texas and then some... why would they rush to introduce Cybertruck and compete with Model Y assembly capacities? At close to $60k and based on an older platform and R&D shared between 3/Y ... they have a high margin winner with the Y

Reactions: TessP100D and Ogre
yeah - I don't get the underwhelming comment at all. range of 300 miles and generous torque / 0-60 and tow rating plus all the other features the F150 delivers in an EV platform is "underwhelming" ? and those are all final production specs...
It is super hard to complain about the F-150 specs when all Cybertruck offers so far is a giant delay-burger.

Ford’s specs: Exist (or will very soon)
Cybertruck specs: … TBD

I’m very enthusiastic about the Cybertruck and willing to wait for it, but it’s hard to pan Ford when they’ve basically kicked Tesla and GMs collective asses in terms of getting *sugar* out the door.

Now in 2 years the situation might be greatly different. But major props to Ford for **shipping** a decent truck in a reasonable time frame.

It is super hard to complain about the F-150 specs when all Cybertruck offers so far is a giant delay-burger.

Ford’s specs: Exist (or will very soon)
Cybertruck specs: … TBD

I’m very enthusiastic about the Cybertruck and willing to wait for it, but it’s hard to pan Ford when they’ve basically kicked Tesla and GMs collective asses in terms of getting *sugar* out the door.

Now in 2 years the situation might be greatly different. But major props to Ford for **shipping** a decent truck in a reasonable time frame.
I hate to agree.

Reactions: TessP100D and Ogre
Me too!

And obviously, depends 100% on Ford’s ability to actually get these out the door. Does very much seem like they are on track for summer… a bit delayed but not too much.

They will be out by spring. This wasn't really a challenge for Ford, the hardest part has to be be getting enough batteries. The challenge for Ford will come with the 2nd gen and a new unproven platform.

They will be out by spring. This wasn't really a challenge for Ford, the hardest part has to be be getting enough batteries. The challenge for Ford will come with the 2nd gen and a new unproven platform.
I think batteries, motors, and computer chips will remain a problem for Ford even for the Gen 1 product. Hopefully with their history and relationships they can make products appear, but it will still be restricting production.

IMO, the CT delay is due to 4680 production delays. Tesla simply can't meet the price/performance specs for the CT without 4680s. They could probably build a 2170 or 18650 version (sort of what Ford is doing w/ the Gen 1 F-150, using older tech with more modest range/specs but able to ship sooner) and then swap to 4680s when ready, but the price/range specs would not be what they promised during the reveal. I'm sure some people wouldn't care, as long as it's the realm of the F-150. But as @texas_star_TM3 posted above, since they're selling all the Ys they can make, why force a model redesign if you don't have to?

I think batteries, motors, and computer chips will remain a problem for Ford even for the Gen 1 product. Hopefully with their history and relationships they can make products appear, but it will still be restricting production.

IMO, the CT delay is due to 4680 production delays. Tesla simply can't meet the price/performance specs for the CT without 4680s. They could probably build a 2170 or 18650 version (sort of what Ford is doing w/ the Gen 1 F-150, using older tech with more modest range/specs but able to ship sooner) and then swap to 4680s when ready, but the price/range specs would not be what they promised during the reveal. I'm sure some people wouldn't care, as long as it's the realm of the F-150. But as @texas_star_TM3 posted above, since they're selling all the Ys they can make, why force a model redesign if you don't have to?
Ford wanted to make a statement and needed everyone to understand they were serious about an electric truck. They are willing to take a loss on the first couple years trucks while they get their ship in order. If Tesla runs away with the electric truck market they will have cut off Ford’s cash cow at the knees.

Tesla is making the Cybertruck as their next profit producing product line. They can afford to wait a bit to get their ducks in a row, they have no existing product line to defend. Tesla’s cash cow—the Model Y—takes priority over the Cybertruck.

Zero chance we’d see a non-4680 Cybertruck. The structural battery is one of the required elements to the truck. Without it, weight goes up and we’d have lower range or something like the Silverado with 1200 pounds cargo capacity.

The question becomes who really wants to own it until it is 2nd gen, and then becomes proven. I don't want to own one of the quickly getting into the game of trucks from a battery perspective. Obviously there are people out there willing to pay up for a first Ford Lightning, but why? It won't be the best product produced until the next gen built from ground up.

I'm pretty close to giving up on any of the trucks. My Rivian Max Pack is delayed until first half of next year, and my use case for a truck is general property work and hauling plus towing our Airstream. However, our kids are getting older as these delays pile up and my high-school aged son is aging out of camping in a cramped camper with the family. He'll sleep in a tent but the entire experience is changing, and he'll be out of the house before long. And I've managed for over a decade to do property work without any truck.

Also, the energy efficiency hit with these vehicles means I'll probably always choose to drive our X around town if I'm not hauling or heading out for outdoor sports. I may just get a Y with roof rack, and keep using my X to tow.

I'm pretty close to giving up on any of the trucks. My Rivian Max Pack is delayed until first half of next year, and my use case for a truck is general property work and hauling plus towing our Airstream. However, our kids are getting older as these delays pile up and my high-school aged son is aging out of camping in a cramped camper with the family. He'll sleep in a tent but the entire experience is changing, and he'll be out of the house before long. And I've managed for over a decade to do property work without any truck.

Also, the energy efficiency hit with these vehicles means I'll probably always choose to drive our X around town if I'm not hauling or heading out for outdoor sports. I may just get a Y with roof rack, and keep using my X to tow.

Similar as I have always gotten by without a truck. Times I wish I had them, but always figured it out. Use situation is changing for me. Airstream is parked for an eternity, don't see a need for towing any longer. Maybe if the rumor mill is right I might look at a choice for a smaller Cybertruck. Either way something has to be in my driveway in one year from today. I am not putting that solar in for a Suburban. We will see what wins. Might be looking at a Y lifted.:(

I agree. I will say the ride comfort in the ICE F-150 is luxury like which to me is worth it, the Truck aspect is just icing on the cake. I am reconsidering purchasing the Lightning and just getting a Hybrid

I had a weird thought about the Rivian Max Pack and why it was delayed.

The Rivian has a fairly low cargo capacity of 1200 pounds.

How do they add a 600 pound battery expansion pack to that vehicle and keep it useful?

I had a weird thought about the Rivian Max Pack and why it was delayed.

The Rivian has a fairly low cargo capacity of 1200 pounds.

How do they add a 600 pound battery expansion pack to that vehicle and keep it useful?
They advertise a payload capacity of 1760 lbs., though I’ve seen some math drop it to 1480. I’ve not seen 1200; where did you get that?

I think the more likely answer is battery constraints and the fact that max only accounts for 20% of preorders.

Reactions: Ogre