Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They advertise a payload capacity of 1760 lbs., though I’ve seen some math drop it to 1480. I’ve not seen 1200; where did you get that?

I think the more likely answer is battery constraints and the fact that max only accounts for 20% of preorders.
I knew it wasn’t great, even 1760 isn’t as bad as I thought, but pretty limiting if the battery is going to come out of that.

It’s the Silverado that has the somewhat laughable 1300 pounds payload capacity.

I had a weird thought about the Rivian Max Pack and why it was delayed.

The Rivian has a fairly low cargo capacity of 1200 pounds.

How do they add a 600 pound battery expansion pack to that vehicle and keep it useful?

It has oodles of power but it's a lot of added weight for sure. Normally it's just a matter of beefing up system components like frame, suspension, and brakes. It's pretty common in the pickup world to design a chassis to support multiple engines of differing weights.

It has oodles of power but it's a lot of added weight for sure. Normally it's just a matter of beefing up system components like frame, suspension, and brakes. It's pretty common in the pickup world to design a chassis to support multiple engines of differing weights.
Yeah, I’m not sure how it all plays out.

At a certain point, they will have to reclassify the truck as a heavy duty truck. I think that’s why the cargo capacity is where it is now.

I’m not sure exactly what would be affected by it being a heavy duty truck.

The question becomes who really wants to own it until it is 2nd gen, and then becomes proven. I don't want to own one of the quickly getting into the game of trucks from a battery perspective. Obviously there are people out there willing to pay up for a first Ford Lightning, but why? It won't be the best product produced until the next gen built from ground up.
do you think Ford has zero experience with batteries and nothing to draw from after developing the Mach E for years? the F150 lightning clearly uses developoment and research from the Mach E. The rest of the F150 is tested and proven for decades.

do you think Ford has zero experience with batteries and nothing to draw from after developing the Mach E for years? the F150 lightning clearly uses developoment and research from the Mach E. The rest of the F150 is tested and proven for decades.
New truck bottom up. That's every good EV thus far. You can't just bolt on a frame. Current one is not. I think even Ford said that. All I'm saying is I wouldn't want to own that first gen one that everyone wants to pay extra bucks for, or do they? I would want to own the second generation one that is from the bottom up built a EV truck. Not an F-150 of current, just with a battery in it.

You brought up the Mach E. I wouldn't want to own one of those first generation cars either. Ford couldn't figure out if they wanted to be in the battery development business or exported out to others as of about 6 months ago. So no, I wouldn't want to trust their battery development for a while.

Reactions: TessP100D
Mach E is coming up on it’s 1st anniversary. It is more or less their Freshman effort.

In another generation or two they might catch up to where Tesla was when they launched the Model Y. They are still a ways behind where Tesla is now.

Austin Model Y releasing within the next month or so is a full generation ahead of that.

This isn't Ford's first modern EV rodeo.
Don't forget that Ford had the RangerEV back in the late '90's. They only made a few but it was actually a very good vehicle - a little short on range though.
Back in the 200x's, when GM, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, et al were taking their EVs away from customers and ignominiously crushing them, Ford realized that the optics of taking a Rancher's Ford Pickup away from him really wasn't a good thing. They let them buy the car for some nominal cost.
Many are still on the road today.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
This isn't Ford's first modern EV rodeo.
Don't forget that Ford had the RangerEV back in the late '90's. They only made a few but it was actually a very good vehicle - a little short on range though.
Back in the 200x's, when GM, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, et al were taking their EVs away from customers and ignominiously crushing them, Ford realized that the optics of taking a Rancher's Ford Pickup away from him really wasn't a good thing. They let them buy the car for some nominal cost.
Many are still on the road today.
also battery technology and know-how has evolved. Tesla did the pioneering work and research - hence other manufacturers don't start at zero. See Lucid / Rivian / Ford / VW and Co. The F150 Lightning will do fine - absent of a battery CF like the Chevy Bolt.

also battery technology and know-how has evolved. Tesla did the pioneering work and research - hence other manufacturers don't start at zero. See Lucid / Rivian / Ford / VW and Co. The F150 Lightning will do fine - absent of a battery CF like the Chevy Bolt.
Sure companies getting into EVs now get the advantage of 10 years of industry maturation.

But what they are going to be able to source on the open market is going to be 3-5 year old technology and/ or is going to be expensive since there is so much competition for those resources.

Reactions: AquaY and tren01t
Not really.

Just this... which means whatever you want it to mean.

I doubt they are going to announce any more specific details until they have an idea when production start is. I don't think Tesla or Musk are willing to commit to anything one way or another until they have this in the bag.
Hopefully they stay cheaper then the ford or not much more.

Reactions: tren01t