Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dan Neil: Tesla S: a model citizen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correction: it does make a cool ride. Every dang day; rain or shine.

Well in my case, the size and aesthetics kinda eliminate that, but it's pretty darn close! A rep said to me that they may use their "skateboard" platform and revisit the roadster down the line.

A completely redesigned roadster with Tesla's gained knowledge, original design, and a larger interior would definitely be on my list of cars to own.

From the LA Times Article:
"Tesla has already had to walk back a claim regarding the Model S' recharge capacity. The car will not have the capacity to accept 440-volt current, which would allow it to be charged in 45 minutes."

Has anyone seen an official statement from Tesla that they are dropping the fast charge? The website still shows it. These newspapers get the facts wrong so often that I seriously doubt their claim unless backed up by something from Tesla.

Maybe he misunderstood, because the car's built-in charging circuit doesn't support the fast charge. At 120 VAC and 240 VAC, the "external charger" is really just a fancy power cord and the electronic magic is inside the car. For fast charging at 440 VAC, the charging electronics is external.

Probably the LA Times writer heard that the 440 VAC charger won't be in the car and assumed that the car won't have that capability.

That sounds like a reasonable explanation. Not only do we have to decipher what Tesla says, and what the press interprets what Tesla says, but also how the press has likely misinterpreted what Tesla has said. I think you may have nailed it, BBHighway.

The tone of this whole thread is way too presumptuous and self -important, not to mention slightly disgusting.

How many of the complainers have any real intention of buying a Tesla of any sort with their own money? I mean actually take delivery. Some of you sound like competitors' trolls or paid bashers. So, did Elon refuse to hire you as web promotion geniuses and you are now getting even the best way you know how? I'm sure you'll show him.

Why don't you let real customers decide what is worth their hard earned money instead of projecting every possible disappointment on to other people's decision matrices? Are you really that prescient in mass market customer relations? Opinions are one thing, but this crap is tiresome in the extreme.

What exactly is your beef with Elon? Is it metaphysical or practical? Or, is it some sort of envy complex?

I ordered a Roadster two years ago with a set of expectations formed at that time. There were some changes before I was able to take delivery and I think the changes made it a better car. I drove Elon's two-speed edition a while ago when I was at the Menlo Park store and I like mine better. Nobody put a gun to my head and made me buy it for a little more money than I expected to pay two years ago. It was worth the wait and I'm completely happy.

What gives with all the whining?

These kind of navel-gazing bitch-fests keep me from wanting to participate on this board any further. Is that your true goal?

Hall pass monitors from high school are the closest I can come to a memory of this type of behavior.

Last edited:
The tone of this whole thread is way too presumptuous and self -important, not to mention slightly disgusting.

How many of the complainers have any real intention of buying a Tesla of any sort with their own money? I mean actually take delivery. Some of you sound like competitors' trolls or paid bashers. So, did Elon refuse to hire you as web promotion geniuses and you are now getting even the best way you know how? I'm sure you'll show him.

Why don't you let real customers decide what is worth their hard earned money instead of projecting every possible disappointment on to other people's decision matrices? Are you really that prescient in mass market customer relations? Opinions are one thing, but this crap is tiresome in the extreme.

What exactly is your beef with Elon? Is it metaphysical or practical? Or, is it some sort of envy complex?

I ordered a Roadster two years ago with a set of expectations formed at that time. There were some changes before I was able to take delivery and I think the changes made it a better car. I drove Elon's two-speed edition a while ago when I was at the Menlo Park store and I like mine better. Nobody put a gun to my head and made me buy it for a little more money than I expected to pay two years ago. It was worth the wait and I'm completely happy.

These kind of navel-gazing bitch-fests keep me from wanting to participate on this board any further. Is that your true goal?

Hall pass monitors from high school are the closest I can come to a memory of this type of behavior.
while I hear what you're saying, I've only seen 2 or 3 people here (albeit vocal ones) who seem to be the bashers/whiner. Most of the rest of us ignore it.
As you were, I am comfortable with the fact that 1)I'll probably pay more than I'm being quoted now and 2)The product will be changed in some way from what it is now. I expect only that the price won't be a lot higher and that it will have performance and appearance in the neighborhood of what we're being shown now.

Don't throw out the baby with the bath water..there's a lot of good in this forum if you ignore the self-rightous complaining.

Whoa... I take offense to this post. I do plan to buy this car (with my own money -- if that even matters?) -- my deposit has been in for a while.

I think we have legitimate complaints given the history of things. Do not over-promise -- that's all. Again, most here have stated they like Tesla and hopes Tesla does well -- we just don't want to be misled as part of a marketing strategy.

Speaking of High School.. that's the closest thing I can compare your post to. Most of your post is just as self-righteous and arrogant as you claim the posts you condemn are. It's called opinions, and everyone is entitled to one -- and we don't have to be competition-trolls-slash-elon-haters for that to happen... if anything, you sound like an Elon fanboy.

/retorting rant

You can hate Elon if you want; it's a free country and he's provided plenty of reasons. But at least Tesla is delivering cars. Nobody else in the EV space is.

I can't believe that you guys read something in a newspaper article and immediately assume it to be correct. I tend to question everything until there is some sort of confirmation.

From a future New York Times article: "We have credible intelligence that Elon has attempted to purchase "yellow cake" uranium from the west African country of Niger. He may also have high strength aluminum tubes". :biggrin:

Only that he is a liar.

Well, that he tends to bend the truth and err on the side of extravagance. It's his job true, but as excited consumers, it can get a bit old.

You can hate Elon if you want; it's a free country and he's provided plenty of reasons. But at least Tesla is delivering cars. Nobody else in the EV space is.

This is totally true. I don't think anyone here has a prob with Tesla though -- I think we're all pretty excited at what they've accomplished and hope (for our sake and theirs) that they continue on in their success.

I can't believe that you guys read something in a newspaper article and immediately assume it to be correct. I tend to question everything until there is some sort of confirmation.

Fair point. I guess since the writer is a pretty solid individual and his statements harmonized with past issues at Tesla it was easy to assume it true.

As I mentioned, at the show the original specs were still being touted and no mention of any retraction on Tesla's part has been found. All we have is the word from one (reputable enough) guy. So we'll just have to wait on some sort of official word.

On a side note... the issue of price was brought up a few posts back... Tesla hasn't announced any hardcore pricing for this thing yet. They've stated what they're aiming for and have been open on the fact that things could (and probably will) change -- and that it's unknown what will be included in the base cars, signature cars, and what will be options. So no beef there whatsoever.

FOR THE RECORD - Los Angeles Times

Tesla Model S: A column by Dan Neil in Business on April 29 about Tesla's Model S said the car would not have the capacity to accept 440-volt current, which would allow it to be charged in 45 minutes and make it theoretically possible to drive the car cross-country with only brief stops to plug in. The column should have specified that the car would not accept a 440-volt alternating-current (AC) charge. It will take a 440-volt charge in direct-current (DC) voltage, which would require a special charging device not readily available.

I'd say some people on here owe apologies...

I don't think I do (if you were referring to me). I said IF the article were true then... I also pointed out that the marketing materials and speeches at the NY reveal still said 45-minute quick charge was in.

That would be me that owes the apology. But I am still out on giving it. It may be coming soon I hope. What is the benefit of claiming a 45 minute recharge if it requires equipment that is not readily available. While I thought that the article was over exagerating I also thought that Elon was over exagerating as well. My bigger point is that the journalist gets a small break for doing it but the CEO of the company that is producing it should be in the know and know better. I still am uncertain that TM will be able to make good on its promises for the S. As I said before I am also hoping that I am wrong. I do still believe that Elon can not be trusted as far as I can throw him - and he is a big guy :) Love the company and hate the man behind it.

That would be me that owes the apology. But I am still out on giving it. It may be coming soon I hope. What is the benefit of claiming a 45 minute recharge if it requires equipment that is not readily available. While I thought that the article was over exagerating I also thought that Elon was over exagerating as well. My bigger point is that the journalist gets a small break for doing it but the CEO of the company that is producing it should be in the know and know better. I still am uncertain that TM will be able to make good on its promises for the S. As I said before I am also hoping that I am wrong. I do still believe that Elon can not be trusted as far as I can throw him - and he is a big guy :) Love the company and hate the man behind it.

How many times do you have to bash Elon in the same thread? It's getting old. It'd be nice if you kept it all in a seperate Elon bashing thread so I don't have to read it. ;)

- mnx
(firstly a Tesla fan, and secondly an Elon fan) lol