Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dangerous Freeway Autopilot Slowdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, the sudden deceleration from 70 to maybe 40 was before. I started recording after, while holding down the accelerator to make sure it didn’t happen again.
I’m impressed that your first thought while you were dying was “better break out the YouTube capture device.” Nicely done.

So deeply focused that your Tesla had to tell you to put your hands on the steering wheel.

What if the car decided to slam you into the divider wall while you were holding your camera to take a pointless shaky video such doesn’t show too much. Yikes!

This is your friendly reminder that you need to be in control of your car at all times.

I’m impressed that your first thought while you were dying was “better break out the YouTube capture device.” Nicely done.

So deeply focused that your Tesla had to tell you to put your hands on the steering wheel.

What if the car decided to slam you into the divider wall while you were holding your camera to take a pointless shaky video such doesn’t show too much. Yikes!

This is your friendly reminder that you need to be in control of your car at all times.
Incredibly, I am able to do more than one thing at a time. The shakiness of the video is because I was only looking at the road, holding the steering wheel and applying pressure to the accelerator. Reasonable minds may differ, I suppose, thanks for the tip.

Incredibly, I am able to do more than one thing at a time. The shakiness of the video is because I was only looking at the road, holding the steering wheel and applying pressure to the accelerator. Reasonable minds may differ, I suppose, thanks for the tip.
Wait - you were recording using a device in one hand ? I had assumed you had a camera setup like many of us here.

This video was taken today, shortly after the car slammed on the brakes when it decided that the speed limit was 20mph while on the highway, and normal traffic flowing at 70mph. It appears that the GPS suddenly decided that the car was somewhere completely different, about 1/2 mile away in a residential area. The only way I could keep the car from slamming on the brakes while on AP was to hold down the accelerator. And even then it was a challenge.

On top of all the bugs and failings of autopilot and FSD Beta, this new “bug” is dangerous beyond measure. Im seriously considering taking autopilot offline for a year or so and then reassessing. Thank god there was no one behind me when the car suddenly decided we were in a residential area and slammed on the brakes.

The GPS is still wrong now, moreover, despite resetting with the two scroll wheels, and powering off the car.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is there a fix? Thanks.

Edit: for clarity, the slamming down of the brakes happened BEFORE I started recording video. The video shows the car rapidly changing max AP speeds from 55/40/15mph while on the highway, and I’m holding down the accelerator to keep the car from doing it again.
All evs I have owned have this issue; e-tron, ID.4, I-pace, iX. Depends on the quality of the map data they use and how old the roads are.
But these brands have a very important setting, you can disable automatically following speed limits. Then the whole problem never happens. Choice is good!

Tesla lack this setting, the car will always auto reduce speed when on AP, at least here in Europe.

Please re-read the post. The sudden deceleration is not in the video. Only afterwards when I’m holding down the accelerator, still fighting the autopilot’s urge to slow down.
This reminds me of the pilots fighting MCAS. Only in this case, Tesla wasn't quite as stupid as Boeing and didn't give the automated system the ability to override and overpower the pilot/driver.

Reactions: gaspi101
Wait - you were recording using a device in one hand ? I had assumed you had a camera setup like many of us here.
No, I am able to steer the car perfectly fine with one hand. I am shocked by the number of people that find it to be a sacrilege to the safety gods when someone steers the car with one hand in a straight line. I have to believe they are either new/very inexperienced drivers, or simply disingenuous.

But you aren’t able tho. You just said your Tesla almost killed you because you weren’t able to press the accelerometer. Also, you were using autosteer but spaced out enough for the car to give you the red flashy warning about keeping your hands on the wall.

In summation, I think this topic is more about how you don’t quite understand what you are supposed to be doing when Autopilot is active…

No, I am able to steer the car perfectly fine with one hand. I am shocked by the number of people that find it to be a sacrilege to the safety gods when someone steers the car with one hand in a straight line. I have to believe they are either new/very inexperienced drivers, or simply disingenuous.
Using the phone to record while driving is being reckless. Probably illegal too.

ps : This proves my earlier point that you were just trying to make it a spectacle and never really felt threatened. Nobody who actually feels imminent danger would take out the camera to record.

pps : This is the reason I'm generally skeptical of all these "FSD tried to kill me" threads.

Last edited:
Chiming in here, with a disclaimer: I am a new owner of a model Y, just got it a couple of weeks ago. We have experienced 3 times now while on the highway when autopilot/cruise control suddenly drops for no apparent reason. Worth pointing out this was not full autopilot, just the cruise control part. We were alert and paying attention and we didn't almost die any of the times. However, it is pretty startling going from 100kph to 80-85kph kph so quickly and randomly. Twice the drivers behind us were quite close and this must have also scared them a little.

Tough to say if there was a message on the screen because I was watching the road, not the screen, but it is possible something flashed up before these incidents happened. All 3 times were in heavier traffic, not near intersections, but there were off/on ramps nearby. Once a car cut in front of us fairly closely so that might have been the trigger, though the other car was accelerating when it cut in, so perhaps some faulty AI logic on this one?

My question would be: Is there a way to record these incidents with Tesla's built in recording features? I'd live to be able to confirm/verify if I am doing something wrong, or if the car is doing something wrong, or if it picks up on something I miss.

Apart from this and the driver side panels and doors being horribly out of alignment, we quite like our new car.

Reactions: 2101Guy
...Is there a way to record these incidents with Tesla's built in recording features?...
Yes, there is but it's a trade secret so I doubt the Tesla AI team would share that with you.

In the meantime, as many YouTubers have done, I would get a video camera.

1654268180653.png

Last edited:
This video was taken today, shortly after the car slammed on the brakes when it decided that the speed limit was 20mph while on the highway, and normal traffic flowing at 70mph. It appears that the GPS suddenly decided that the car was somewhere completely different, about 1/2 mile away in a residential area. The only way I could keep the car from slamming on the brakes while on AP was to hold down the accelerator. And even then it was a challenge.

On top of all the bugs and failings of autopilot and FSD Beta, this new “bug” is dangerous beyond measure. Im seriously considering taking autopilot offline for a year or so and then reassessing. Thank god there was no one behind me when the car suddenly decided we were in a residential area and slammed on the brakes.

The GPS is still wrong now, moreover, despite resetting with the two scroll wheels, and powering off the car.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is there a fix? Thanks.

Edit: for clarity, the slamming down of the brakes happened BEFORE I started recording video. The video shows the car rapidly changing max AP speeds from 55/40/15mph while on the highway, and I’m holding down the accelerator to keep the car from doing it again.

Looking for a topic to post and go on record with my experience with FSD, and this looks like the right spot. Sorry if it diverges a bit from the topic.

Phantom breaking is a serious problem and Tesla should be very concerned about the liability issues. In our first real road trip in the 2021 LR M3 I found FSD to be not only frustrating, but dangerous. If phantom breaking 20-30 times a day was not bad enough, twice we were nearly rear ended as the car did an emergency stop in front of other vehicles, slowing from 75 to 40 rapidly enough to bounce us into our seat belts. This happened once as the car moved to the right lane after passing a large truck! That was very scary! Fortunately, I had my foot hovering over the accelerator and was able to get out of the way. Anyone know of any reported rear end accidents caused by this action?

Another scary incident occurred when an overtaking car swerved back into my lane inches from my front end. FSD just tooled along, no slow down, no maneuvering.

FSD was also very quirky when overtaking slower traffic. Sometimes the car exited into the passing lane 2-300 yards from the car being overtaken, other times it would run right up to the car, slow to match the other car's speed, and maybe, or maybe not, exit into the passing lane. Same with returning to the right lane. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. All this in light traffic on interstate highways.

Also, on two occasions, FSD refused to slow and move into the exit lane even when it was clear from the audio navigation that was the correct action. It took intervention to make the exit. It also had problems with blinking yellow lights, and sometimes with diamond caution signs.

Max speed for FSD was also weird, as it sometimes was limited to +5 MPH in 55 to 70 MPH zones. Other times in 75 MPH zones the limit was 85, the publicly announced max. I also found the wheel tension that would cause FSD to disengage appeared to be more sensitive than earlier trips.

I found the display of surrounding traffic to be of little use for traffic overtaking me, as the distance that overtaking cars appear on the screen was as they were just about even with my rear bumper. Surely the cameras can “see” further than that.

Looking for a topic to post and go on record with my experience with FSD, and this looks like the right spot. Sorry if it diverges a bit from the topic.

Phantom breaking is a serious problem and Tesla should be very concerned about the liability issues. In our first real road trip in the 2021 LR M3 I found FSD to be not only frustrating, but dangerous. If phantom breaking 20-30 times a day was not bad enough, twice we were nearly rear ended as the car did an emergency stop in front of other vehicles, slowing from 75 to 40 rapidly enough to bounce us into our seat belts. This happened once as the car moved to the right lane after passing a large truck! That was very scary! Fortunately, I had my foot hovering over the accelerator and was able to get out of the way. Anyone know of any reported rear end accidents caused by this action?

Another scary incident occurred when an overtaking car swerved back into my lane inches from my front end. FSD just tooled along, no slow down, no maneuvering.

FSD was also very quirky when overtaking slower traffic. Sometimes the car exited into the passing lane 2-300 yards from the car being overtaken, other times it would run right up to the car, slow to match the other car's speed, and maybe, or maybe not, exit into the passing lane. Same with returning to the right lane. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. All this in light traffic on interstate highways.

Also, on two occasions, FSD refused to slow and move into the exit lane even when it was clear from the audio navigation that was the correct action. It took intervention to make the exit. It also had problems with blinking yellow lights, and sometimes with diamond caution signs.

Max speed for FSD was also weird, as it sometimes was limited to +5 MPH in 55 to 70 MPH zones. Other times in 75 MPH zones the limit was 85, the publicly announced max. I also found the wheel tension that would cause FSD to disengage appeared to be more sensitive than earlier trips.

I found the display of surrounding traffic to be of little use for traffic overtaking me, as the distance that overtaking cars appear on the screen was as they were just about even with my rear bumper. Surely the cameras can “see” further than that.
When did you take this road trip? 2021? PB has been greatly reduced since then. I've driven from Texas to Virginia and back with only a single PB event. And that was back in January.

If you just got back from your trip, then you may need to recalibrate your cameras.

When did you take this road trip? 2021? PB has been greatly reduced since then. I've driven from Texas to Virginia and back with only a single PB event. And that was back in January.

If you just got back from your trip, then you may need to recalibrate your cameras.
Then Im sure thats all that Tesla needs to tell NHTSA...it was all fixed with the last update.
Problem solved! :D

Thanks. Drove from Houston to Moab, then Breckenridge, Houston, Jun 15-27. Will contact Tesla Service to see about recalibration.

• Funny
Reactions: alexgr