Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dangerous Freeway Autopilot Slowdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Drove from Houston to Moab, then Breckenridge, Houston, Jun 15-27. Will contact Tesla Service to see about recalibration.
Re-calibration of what? You can re-calibrate the cameras your self, and no one can re-calibrate software parameters other than SW engineers in the next public version. Often, you can predict phantom braking and apply accelerator gently. Also, I noticed, that on my old M3 (with FSD Beta) the phantom braking is MUCH MUCH less severe than on MY (without FSD). I wonder if it is the newer cars, the Model Y, or newer cars problem.

Thanks. Drove from Houston to Moab, then Breckenridge, Houston, Jun 15-27. Will contact Tesla Service to see about recalibration.
Just go to the service menu. There's a button the calibrate the cameras. After you do that, just drive on well lined roads (an interstate works great) until the calibration is complete. You won't be able to use AP until finished.

It most definitely depends on the roads and circumstances...On the most recent update, I drive from home to work and back on complete FSD with usually no phantom breaking of any kind. But this weekend we took a roadtrip to Key West and the phantom breaking on a straight road with no obstructions was just insane...could not use autopilot at all for about 70% of the drive without making my passengers vomit. Autopilot is making progress, for sure, but it's not ready yet and experiences will vary. Use with caution!

Reactions: 2101Guy
It most definitely depends on the roads and circumstances...On the most recent update, I drive from home to work and back on complete FSD with usually no phantom breaking of any kind. But this weekend we took a roadtrip to Key West and the phantom breaking on a straight road with no obstructions was just insane...could not use autopilot at all for about 70% of the drive without making my passengers vomit. Autopilot is making progress, for sure, but it's not ready yet and experiences will vary. Use with caution!

I believe (maybe naively) that 90% of the wildly different responses we see re:AP/FSD performance are simply local road conditions.
Some people (accurately to their own experience) grade it A+, perfect, ready to go.
Other people (also accurate to their own experience) grade it a C- at best.

You have just experienced both back to back yourself, and if Key West was your daily drive you would be re-considering why you spent on FSD, whereas previously you would have probably thought those on the other side to be a bunch of whiners.

Would be interesting to see someone crowd source a geolocation DB of AP/FSD performance!

Reactions: gaspi101
I believe (maybe naively) that 90% of the wildly different responses we see re:AP/FSD performance are simply local road conditions.
Some people (accurately to their own experience) grade it A+, perfect, ready to go.
Other people (also accurate to their own experience) grade it a C- at best.

You have just experienced both back to back yourself, and if Key West was your daily drive you would be re-considering why you spent on FSD, whereas previously you would have probably thought those on the other side to be a bunch of whiners.

Would be interesting to see someone crowd source a geolocation DB of AP/FSD performance!
This is exactly right!! Interestingly enough, I've found that autopilot works the absolute best on roads similar in construction and design to southern california! There's a reason for that!