Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dark turn signal camera images

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turn signal camera images on my M3 seem significantly darker than backup camera image which limits their usefulness. Is that normal?
I don't know if they are darker, but their camera sensors have different color filter masks than cameras for photography.

They are RCCB instead of typical RGGB color mask (filters in front of raw CCD silicon). The "C" is 'clear', not 'cyan' by the way. I bet the backup camera image is regular color mask thanks to regulation, as it's intended to be viewed by humans.

It's better for drive assistance computers as you get better low light sensitivity (clear means no filtering of photons before ccd), but natural to human eyes pictures can't be created. There is some software to make an approximation to view on screen, which may be off in you case. It's likely the Tesla ones are tuned for the needs of autopilot and not for visual display.

In sum, I don't know why they're dark, but that they're different from backup camera is expected.

Upvote 0
Turn signal camera images on my M3 seem significantly darker than backup camera image which limits their usefulness. Is that normal?
You got some photos of the differences? Because the side repeaters camera is different from the backup camera. There is a slight difference of the color profile too between those two cameras as well as aperture too.

But base of how you described it. It sounds like is like difference is Night and Day

Upvote 0
Mine have no noticeable difference at least not that I can see. They all seem the same brightness to me.

1654036510600.png

Upvote 0
I wouldn't call that "Darker"

It's different, but not darker.

I agree. The color shift is a result of the sensor which is not optimized for human visual perception. The RGB backup camera can distinguish the various shades of vegetation well, but the side cameras do not, they all look dark-green brown. The sensors don't have a green color mask.

What I see is a greater contrast between asphalt and curb, which is more important for driving assistance algorithms.

Furthermore there is automatic light balance which is a matter of software display algorithms for the screen display.

There isn't a defect here.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the explanation. I guess when the cameras were originally installed in my M3 (early 2019), the algorithm wasn't optimized (intentionally so) for providing direct driver input as the rear facing camera is. Thanks for pointing out the higher contrast between the curb and the street, which is obviously important.

I didn't pay any attention the side cameras (other than reviewing some saved video on the thumb drive) until they became activated by the turn signals after a software upgrade.

In any event, I do find it more difficult to see objects when activating the turn signals, particularly if wearing sunglasses.

Upvote 0
It's been my impression that the the turn signal display in the lower left corner of the screen is virtually useless. First, it's really out of practcal vision range from a safety point of view. It really should be up just under the speed display. Second, it's almost always too dark. Third, It has noticable color shift. It seems like it would be fairly easy to fix these faults. But, I guess that a richer catalog of farting sounds may be more popular.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
Upvote 0
The backup camera in my late 2018 LR Model 3 has always had a cleaner brighter look than the front fender and B-pillar cameras. It's as if the backup camera has a higher resolution. I noticed the difference right away when they gave us Dashcam and Sentry Mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0