Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam in Refreshed MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone installed a dash cam in to the facelift model S?

Looking at all the instructions I've hit a few issues, they all relate to the pre-facelift cars. The plastics around the rearview mirror are different. It feels quite fragile and I don't want to snap it. The fuse boxes have moved around, so now there is one by the driver kick panel to the right of the accelerator (RHD car). Plus there is no info on what fuse does what, so impossible to pick one sensibly. I don't know what else has changed between versions....

Incidentally there is no spare power to the microphone / internal alarm sensors as there is in earlier versions of the MS. So I need to run the power back to somewhere... ideally I want two outputs, one always on and one enabled when the car is in drive mode so the camera will auto-switch in to parked mode.

Thanks for any thoughts / assistance.

The blackvue dr650 has parking mode detection that seems to work pretty well in detecting being parked or moving. I guess it is supposed to avoid writing to the card when parked and no motion is detected but I can't say I've tested it.

I didn't go under the plastics myself. I used zip ties from the windshield side into the microphone area for fishing, they are thin and plastic, and just ran the wires next to the housing for the ap camera and then between the windshield and headliner where I found a path with the zip tie.

I've got a face lifted ms as well, with ap, and there was a three pin connector under the microphone where I tied in for power. Cut up the original blackvue cable, soldered a three pin header .1" pitch, shrink tubing etc and plugged that into the connector. Make sure to get the pinout correct.

The blackvue dr650 has parking mode detection that seems to work pretty well in detecting being parked or moving. I guess it is supposed to avoid writing to the card when parked and no motion is detected but I can't say I've tested it.

I didn't go under the plastics myself. I used zip ties from the windshield side into the microphone area for fishing, they are thin and plastic, and just ran the wires next to the housing for the ap camera and then between the windshield and headliner where I found a path with the zip tie.

I've got a face lifted ms as well, with ap, and there was a three pin connector under the microphone where I tied in for power. Cut up the original blackvue cable, soldered a three pin header .1" pitch, shrink tubing etc and plugged that into the connector. Make sure to get the pinout correct.
Could you post photos please?

Has anyone installed a dash cam in to the facelift model S?

Looking at all the instructions I've hit a few issues, they all relate to the pre-facelift cars. The plastics around the rearview mirror are different. It feels quite fragile and I don't want to snap it. The fuse boxes have moved around, so now there is one by the driver kick panel to the right of the accelerator (RHD car). Plus there is no info on what fuse does what, so impossible to pick one sensibly. I don't know what else has changed between versions....

Incidentally there is no spare power to the microphone / internal alarm sensors as there is in earlier versions of the MS. So I need to run the power back to somewhere... ideally I want two outputs, one always on and one enabled when the car is in drive mode so the camera will auto-switch in to parked mode.

Thanks for any thoughts / assistance.

I have a refreshed RWD and had a dash cam professionally installed. They used fuse 120 which I verified with my service center as being unused by my car and good to use for the dash cam. My camera switches to park mode automatically.

image.jpeg

Could you post photos please?

Here is one I snapped a second ago showing the cables through the headliner. I could have moved them closer to the ap/mirror but it felt like there was something in the way. I can't see it from inside drivers seat so I left it.

Overall the tough parts were the windshield to mic and then the cable rework with correct pinout.

Running through the headliner with the pano roof was really simple. I ran around, lost he extra for the rear camera by going back and forth in the center pano area from the back seat. I also didn't try to fish to the back of the headliner by the trunk. I came out from the headliner pano pocket, the big open gap there, and across the inside of the headliner to get to the trunk. Then tucked it in to the trunk plastic gap in the upper corner and to the rear camera. Cable is black so you can't see it against the black headliner.

I did try to run down the inside back corner headliner part, the part between the top and the rear seat, but I couldn't remove that piece. I need to ask the sc to take a look at that part because my prying pulled it out a half inch. It isn't noticeable but I did something there. At that point I gave up and ran inside as I mentioned above, not worth the damage.

Overall probably took five hours with the cabling, fishing, positioning the cameras. Really didn't want to miswire the power plug and didn't want to just stick wires in there so I went the three pin header approach both for retention and good electrical contact.

I can post more pictures when I get home if there is interest.

I installed mine on my refresh last week only issue I ran into was running the wire to the center of the rear hatch, I got it through the boot but it took me a few hours to get it out of the hatch, once I got it only took a few minutes to run the last bit to the center...

All the removal instructions for the front mirror where correct and there was an extra connector in the mic area it was taped with the blue tape to the grill in the very center as shown in this picture that I took
Mic Gril.jpg

I have a refreshed RWD and had a dash cam professionally installed. They used fuse 120 which I verified with my service center as being unused by my car and good to use for the dash cam. My camera switches to park mode automatically.

How do I know which is fuse 120? I can't see any numbers on the fuse locations, at least not easily. I've got the cable to the fuse box in the corner right hand side of the driver (rhd)

All the removal instructions for the front mirror where correct and there was an extra connector in the mic area it was taped with the blue tape to the grill in the very center as shown in this picture that I tookView attachment 183755 .

Very strange - it would appear in my car it has a purpose as that connector is present but plugged in to something! No idea what it is though....

Any idea which fuse does what. I'm getting a couple of fuse taps. I'd like to put them in to things that I won't be upset if they ever fail rather than something that would cause a lot of grief. Ideally something low powered... ideally I need one that is always one and one that goes on and off with the car being on or off.

Alternatively there is this connector - I've no idea what it does, but it isn't connected so maybe it'll work for my needs. Anyone know?