Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash cam or not....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey

So I’m lookin at dash cams but I’m wondering if I should wait at least till V9 comes out as it may or may not have some dash cam feature in it.

What you think are the chances?

Also is there a. Good install guide anyway I’ve struggled to find one, thinking of black Vue but looking at cheaper ones.

There was a useful thread a while back:

Best Dash Cam for Tesla 2017

Do you need some Boy Racer puddle lights? :)

logo-light-car-1024x768.jpg

The DashCam boys will probably be able to sort you out some of those too :)

Can never have too many cameras. I would go with Tesla V9 built in and add at least 4 black vues in addition if I could afford it.

Better pay a few 100 extra now than invariably pay 1000s in car insurance over the years that may or may not pay out based on evidence or lack thereof. Or worse, someone blames you for crashing into them when it wasn't you.

Both of my Tesla's were hit from behind and side respectively, both before I installed dash cams. I had to pay for it all, indirectly through my insurance but still...

Here’s a link from the TOG website.

https://teslaownersgroup.co.uk/directory/categories/dash-camera-accessories-installers

Simon at Holbon did mine, front and back BlackVue 650 and you can’t see a wire or any sign of install. David at Shield also comes well recommended, but Simon has more experience than anyone else. He can install the batman stuff if you want it, I didn’t, but he did put some decent lights in the boot.

As for Elon’s promise, well we know what happens to most of them, late or still o/s.... Even if they do arrive with v9 I don’t believe for a minute they will be as good or have the functionality of a custom product. Maybe one day they will, and some manufacturers are making strides in this direction but it won’t be anytime soon IMO.

I think my total cost was £450 and for me is a no brainer.

The 'on board' cameras, I believe, are black and white and we do not know the resolution.

Elon has indicated that they will be available in V9 but we do not know what their effect as an actual dash cam will be.

I recently ad fitted a 2 camera Blackvue 90S system, by Simon@Holbon, a very speedy, efficient service. I did have teething issues which Simon assisted in rectifying, even to the point of revisiting me 'Oop North'.

Highly recommended.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Defo get cameras. I know we could all do with saving £500+/- but waiting for v9 and the beta dash cam feature, if you were hit in the mean time could be expensive.

If I hadn’t had my cameras (Thinkware that Simon at Holborn installed) I would have had to pay out myself when someone hit the front corner while parked and didn’t bother to stop. I finally got the car back yesterday after 3 rejections at the paint shop but it’s sorted and covered but only because the cameras picked up the other car.

Even if v9 does bring a dash cam feature, how long before we can actually use footage or how long for bugs to be ironed out etc. Get your own, have both if/when built in are enabled but don’t take the risk.

Naturally your choice and depends on finances to pay out more on cameras but I was weighing up the odds and so glad I got them.

Reactions: DJP31
Your call of course, but I'm waiting to see what the Tesla solution is like. But I've never yet had a dash cam installed in any other car and don't often park in high risk places, so I'm taking a calculated risk in not installing 3rd party cameras. It's not so much the cost that puts me off, it's the actual hardware and installation. Plus it would piss me off if the imminent Tesla solution is actually good!

Your call of course, but I'm waiting to see what the Tesla solution is like. But I've never yet had a dash cam installed in any other car and don't often park in high risk places, so I'm taking a calculated risk in not installing 3rd party cameras. It's not so much the cost that puts me off, it's the actual hardware and installation. Plus it would piss me off if the imminent Tesla solution is actually good!

If you use either Simon @ Holbon or David @ Shield they supply, come to you and install - without a loose wire or any other evidence apart from the cameras themselves. It's my first dash cam and I don't park in high risk places either (occasional Waitrose car park excepted!) - my concern was about being hit by a 3rd party who contested liability.

I guess given how close we are (allegedly) to V9 I suppose it's worth waiting but I will be astonished if the Tesla solution is good enough to be of meaningful use.