Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam time stamp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. GMT is universal. Local time would change on a long drive, for example. It's safer (and more useful to the purpose of a dashcam) to use GMT.

If that was the logic then the navigation would use GMT. Besides it it a computer it has the ability to read the current time based on the GPS location and update the local time of the camera recording based on the location of the image.

I would venture a guess that there is not a single commercial dash cam that uses GMT as the default without a user setting to change it.

If that was the logic then the navigation would use GMT. Besides it it a computer it has the ability to read the current time based on the GPS location and update the local time of the camera recording based on the location of the image.

I would venture a guess that there is not a single commercial dash cam that uses GMT as the default without a user setting to change it.

Is there way that Tesla could fix this? — Yes.
Is there a chance that Tesla could fix this? — Not likely, but possible in the future.

The footage from the camera is captured most likely from the APE unit where it hands it off to the MCU unit to be written on your USB drive. For most logging purposes for the entire fleet of Tesla's across the world, it's all done in UTC. (UTC and GMT are sometimes used interchangeably, but technically in this particular case, it's UTC). This is so when your logs are uploaded to Tesla over 3G/LTE or WiFi, their servers get everything in one standard timezone... UTC. Then they can later offset it by whatever they need to for a particular customer if they need to delve deeper into an issue.

That being said, the easiest fix, is Tesla allowing us to use a different file-system type. FAT32 is timezone agnostic. Meaning, it doesn't store timezone data. Tesla could have used exFAT and just have the computer put the correct TZ metadata into the file based off GPS location (or most likely, cell-tower from the 3G/LTE service sort of like your smartphone when it auto-sets your clock and date), without having to mess with the computer clock being in UTC which it runs in as being standardized.

EDIT: Just so others don't get me wrong... I do agree it's sort of annoying. To me, it's a relatively small thing, but I've seen many posts from others being frustrated about it. My recommendation of course, has always been, is to use the bug reporting feature. If enough people report it, it may actually be looked at and fixed!

Last edited:
At it's heart, Tesla is a tech company with a bunch of silicon valley programmers. All of them are used to logging with timestamps in GMT/UTC/Zulu time. That is the world-wide universal time and avoids any confusion that timezones and varying daylight saving rules can create.

So what would you expect if the car moved across a timezone. Would you then be upset that there were two 3:15 PM files and couldn't figure out which was which?

Keeping log files in UTC is a very common practice. Most importantly, you don't have to translate them when in multiple timezones.

I'm OK with the GMT time stamps. Took me about 3 seconds to figure it out when I first looked.

Here is what I don't get. The frame rate is 36.02 frames per second. Odd. Why is it not 30 fps or ~29.97 like all other video?

Here is one more. The colors are way off. Anyone else notice this? A red model 3 (parked near me) shows up as more like a burnt orange color. Are they using some optical (or digital) filter to enhance the image?

Don’t get the issue. On my Mac I see Year-Month-Day followed by Hour-Minute (military time) and folder names also show Seconds. Do other OSs see something else? The screen grab was from maybe 2019.8.4 or 8.5 so not new.

3B6C19A6-AE44-4FF5-AC63-D4FBB3234091.jpeg

I suppose if you are used to converting UTC it is not an issue. I live in CA the UTC adjustment changes with DST. The clock in the car is local time. When I save a file it is easier to remember the local time when I peruse the drive to find the saved file.

I mean this sincerely as a question, not as an attack: Why are people so concerned with the files' time stamps, when their much-more-visible filenames contain the date and time in local time? It seems to me that with that system, both local time and UTC are available, and you can pay attention to whichever one you want.

• Helpful
Reactions: txakoli
I never made the connection that the file name was the time recorded, (old firmware). When looking at an old firmware file with the name of "saved-front-2019-01-30_10-44.mp4" the date column is "1/30/2019 5:51 PM", they don't seem to match even with a -8 hr offset, so I discounted it as a random time.
Actually there are files with "saved-front-2019-01-30_10-" 41 thru 50 that all show the same 1/30/2019 5:51 PM" date time.

UTC is mostly used in flight planning. Helicopters are not used for distance flying so we seldom do flight planning. We use local 24hr time to talk with most everyone involved with the flights. Additionally I don't expect a majority of Tesla owners are aviation involved and the forum is speaking for the silent readers more than myself.

UTC is mostly used in flight planning. Helicopters are not used for distance flying so we seldom do flight planning. We use local 24hr time to talk with most everyone involved with the flights. Additionally I don't expect a majority of Tesla owners are aviation involved and the forum is speaking for the silent readers more than myself.
What do you fly? I'm just a private pilot myself but have a buddy who flew BK-117 for med flights. Not trying to give you crap by the way.