Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashboard design and NHTSA regulations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And 'system', which I took to mean other things than just the wheel. YMMV.

As opposed to that?
You have my apologies (and sympathy) if simple politeness strikes you as condescending.

mine was in direct response.

to me, and i may be alone in this, but when you spend your post talking down someone's thought, and end it on that note, it comes off as condescending.

and when you end every post that way....and use the word "curmudgeon" in your profile...I mean, maybe you meant to come off that way.

Many modern cars now have electronic gauges and the same can be said as what happens when they go on the blink? There is no backup. Very few new have the old analog dials

The concern is that the current Model S central screen crashes and needs reboots. The chance of failure of a traditional electronic IP is almost impossibly low.

It'd be like suggesting that a smartphone would be appropriate to replace medical-grade electronics for administering drugs, while that smartphone is also running GPS, Pandora, and a web browser.

Reactions: M0DEL³ and jkk_
mine was in direct response.

So its okay to be intentionally rude, if you think someone was condescending to you?

to me, and i may be alone in this, but when you spend your post talking down someone's thought, and end it on that note, it comes off as condescending.

I retweeted Elon Musk, and wrote "Sounds like more than just tweaks to me." If you describe that as spending my post talking down someone's thought, perhaps the internet isn't the best place for you.

With actual kindness, I thank you for participating in this forum, making it an interesting place for me to visit. Hope that helps.

The concern is that the current Model S central screen crashes and needs reboots. The chance of failure of a traditional electronic IP is almost impossibly low.
It'd be like suggesting that a smartphone would be appropriate to replace medical-grade electronics for administering drugs, while that smartphone is also running GPS, Pandora, and a web browser.

No, this is not a good analogy. The center display screen is only for the display purpose. Even if it crashes, the car still functions normally (unlike drug administration electronics).
And you would still have audio warning. So I don't see the big deal about the rare occasion of screen freezing.

No, this is not a good analogy. The center display screen is only for the display purpose. Even if it crashes, the car still functions normally (unlike drug administration electronics).
And you would still have audio warning. So I don't see the big deal about the rare occasion of screen freezing.

Everyone is well aware of that. A crashed display still means zero information about how autopilot is working, zero speed information, zero visual proximity detector warnings among other things.

Everyone is well aware of that. A crashed display still means zero information about how autopilot is working, zero speed information, zero visual proximity detector warnings among other things.

First, we don't know if this would affect Model 3. Why are we assuming that screen freezing or crashing would be a regular occurrence?

But just like any another LED instrumental panel, well if it malfunctions, then you would have a short period without visual indicator. But as I mentioned before, audio warning continues to work, the car continues to drive. So I don't see that as any significant problem even in the RARE event that this happens. I don't check my speedometer every second; when I have my dynamic cruise control on, I don't check the car proximity graphics every second..... in fact I rarely check them. And if there is a short period without the visual feedback, I won't miss them.

I understand that the Model S has a number of 'standard' icons across the top of the dash (headlights, airbags, tire pressure, etc.). Given that the prototype Model 3 IP box in the 15" screen was allotted a small amount of screen real estate, where would these warning lights be located. I realize that this is small potatoes and easily changed through software, but was curious if anyone had any input on it from a legal/regulation perspective. It would be unfortunate if a large amount of that screen was occupied by too many static indicators.

Hehe, I guess not horrible considering everyone else seems to have 10" screens!

The dash isn't legal as it was on the prototypes. At minimum it requires a button for the hazard lights.

I am not sure the law requires a physical button. (See post #1 for a link to the law). Just a "control" operated by hand that is marked and illuminated in a certain way and within reach of the driver. So it could be a touchscreen control. The Gen 1 Volt uses lots of those (it's Achilles heel). So they could have a box sectioned out of that 15" screen with hazards, temperature controls, etc. Or they stick a tiny hazard button somewhere.

The screen button option does make for an interesting design though. It would mean that portions of the screen will have to be "always on top" without the user being able to hide them.

I feel like they are going to integrate a screen into the steering wheel. Probably placed above the airbag compartment, in the top part of the steering wheel.

Seems like that would be a cheaper option than a HUD, and sort of fits into the "space ship" aspect that Elon tweeted about.

Or not *shrugs*

I am not sure the law requires a physical button. (See post #1 for a link to the law). Just a "control" operated by hand that is marked and illuminated in a certain way and within reach of the driver. So it could be a touchscreen control. The Gen 1 Volt uses lots of those (it's Achilles heel). So they could have a box sectioned out of that 15" screen with hazards, temperature controls, etc. Or they stick a tiny hazard button somewhere.

The screen button option does make for an interesting design though. It would mean that portions of the screen will have to be "always on top" without the user being able to hide them.
Maybe a touchscreen button would do, but I don't think so. This button needs to be pretty failsafe, operating even after a substantial collision. It's not a coincidence that the only button on the Model S dash is the hazard lights. (Plus glove box release, but that is of course optional.)

The hazard lights have to be capable of being turned on if the touchscreen is out of commission. It has to be one of the most basic systems on the car, not dependent on any computer.

So its okay to be intentionally rude, if you think someone was condescending to you?

I retweeted Elon Musk, and wrote "Sounds like more than just tweaks to me." If you describe that as spending my post talking down someone's thought, perhaps the internet isn't the best place for you.

With actual kindness, I thank you for participating in this forum, making it an interesting place for me to visit. Hope that helps.

if you check the timestamp, this thread was started before Elon's AMA session.

And yes, actually, being defensive works out just fine. It's gotten me to this point. Something makes me think you've never come down the post from Maine. ;)

This thread was started to let everyone know that, as much as some of us wondered about the display, it technically doesn't have to change. It's legal.

Joysticks, steering, and spaceship controls are really a different thread than this.

Glad I could be helpful.

The hazard lights have to be capable of being turned on if the touchscreen is out of commission. It has to be one of the most basic systems on the car, not dependent on any computer.

If you're of a certain age, you might remember the button on the steering column that you would pull out to activate the hazard lights. That may be the solution Tesla goes with here to keep the "clean" look they're going for.