Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Install Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another super clean Blackvue 2-channel dashcam install completed by Johnny and Darius from Caliber Customs today. I believe I am their second Model 3 installation. I should thank MTG for being the first since now they know where to find the constant 12V power :)

We had some interesting conversations like how they are going to be swamped and probably have to hire more people when Model 3 production finally ramp up. Also, they might not be able to do any custom work when Tesla switches to Low voltage wiring (no more 12V).

I also paid extra to get my Valentine One wired and mounted as well as adding the magnetic phone mount and wiring an extra lightning cable.

I used them last year to do the same 3 installs on my wife's Model X and they are great guys and I highly recommend them if you want your dashcam professionally installed.

Looks good...hopefully they were able to get yours done much faster! I should have had them wire a wireless charger....completely forgot! Though I am still on an iPhone 7.

Rookie question: might it be theoretically possible for Tesla to offer a control-panel option to keep the console 12v outlet powered continuously? (Sort of like what they already do for Cabin Overheat Protection, which keeps the fans powered.) Should we be sending them this feature request?

By the way, don't try placing your rear camera behind the rear crossbeam. The reflections make the view rather useless.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 364
So, I am not an electrical guru. Does anyone have photos or more detailed instructions for how to tap into the battery for a dash cam install?

You ever figure this out? I installed my dashcam today- but have it in the passenger foot well and into the console- currently just into cigarette lighter, but would like to go directly to the 12v to allow recording when parked (just need to figure out how)

You ever figure this out? I installed my dashcam today- but have it in the passenger foot well and into the console- currently just into cigarette lighter, but would like to go directly to the 12v to allow recording when parked (just need to figure out how)

No, not yet. I am not comfortable working with the 12V battery without knowing what I am doing, but hopefully someone will post a how to as more cars are sold.

Another super clean Blackvue 2-channel dashcam install completed by Johnny and Darius from Caliber Customs today. I believe I am their second Model 3 installation. I should thank MTG for being the first since now they know where to find the constant 12V power :)

We had some interesting conversations like how they are going to be swamped and probably have to hire more people when Model 3 production finally ramp up. Also, they might not be able to do any custom work when Tesla switches to Low voltage wiring (no more 12V).

I also paid extra to get my Valentine One wired and mounted as well as adding the magnetic phone mount and wiring an extra lightning cable.

I used them last year to do the same 3 installs on my wife's Model X and they are great guys and I highly recommend them if you want your dashcam professionally installed.

What radar detector mount did you use to fit on the back of the mirror?

What radar detector mount did you use to fit on the back of the mirror?

I bought this $36 Mirror Mount off Amazon since Blendmount doesn't have one that works with the Model 3 yet, but the fit is not very good, the part clipping onto the neck of the mirror is blocking the mirror from tilting up fully. It works okay if I adjust the seat all the way down but I like to seat higher up. I will wait for Blendmount to come out with a compatible mount. The Blendmount on my Wife's Model X has been rock solid and fits perfectly, well worth the extra cost ($129).

• Disagree
Reactions: arnis
I bought this $36 Mirror Mount off Amazon since Blendmount doesn't have one that works with the Model 3 yet, but the fit is not very good, the part clipping onto the neck of the mirror is blocking the mirror from tilting up fully. It works okay if I adjust the seat all the way down but I like to seat higher up. I will wait for Blendmount to come out with a compatible mount. The Blendmount on my Wife's Model X has been rock solid and fits perfectly, well worth the extra cost ($129).

Yeah. I've got blendmount but on the model 3 there is just no room. May have to 3D print one if they do not come out with a solution.

But unfortunately the power source we used (passenger footwell area) shuts down the power to the dashcam within 3 minutes of leaving the car

I need a switched 12v source that will turn off when the car is off, so I tapped the same passenger footwell wire as you, but I’ve waited a while after exiting the car and there is still power from that wire. Do you remember if there are any specific things that happened that causes that wire to cut power? Did your installer find any other wire to tap into that will switch off when the car is locked? Thanks!

I need a switched 12v source that will turn off when the car is off, so I tapped the same passenger footwell wire as you, but I’ve waited a while after exiting the car and there is still power from that wire. Do you remember if there are any specific things that happened that causes that wire to cut power? Did your installer find any other wire to tap into that will switch off when the car is locked? Thanks!

It turns off after 5 minutes of leaving the car. Not immediate. After you leave the car (bluetooth distance away)...you will hear the car click and it goes to sleep.

So, I am not an electrical guru. Does anyone have photos or more detailed instructions for how to tap into the battery for a dash cam install?

I believe you're looking for this Hard-wiring Power Cable - BlackVue
Will allow you to hardwire the camera to the 12V battery without having to cut/splice wires. Otherwise, you'd have to cut the wires (where the cigarette lighter plug is) and get a fuse to go between the cam and battery, or use something like power magic pro or power magic battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki