Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Install Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed a Cellink Battery B, which seems to be thicker (D) but has a smaller footprint (LxW) than the B124, in the space under the center console. Access is gained by removing the carpeted side panel in the passenger footwell, and the install area is roughly directly below the phone dock area. I can't guarantee that the B124 will fit here. It's thinner, so it might be easier, and the length is plenty fine, but the width might be too much.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I will put a video & compile some updated info together. But this is the new Blackvue Ultra Battery...fits right under the center console. It is powered from the car's 12V outlet and I also added a on/off switch so I can turn off the dashcam when the car is in the garage.
View attachment 294437

Hi @K-MTG, I'm thinking about putting my B-124 under the center console as well and adding a relay switch to toggle the dashcam on and off, do you have some more pics or instructions on removing the paneling around the center console to get to that bottom area?

Had a chance to test the battery today and wanted to share:
tldr: I set it up to draw ~10watts and to my surprise, it actually lasted 5 hours! Actual total power consumed: 46.9Wh

During testing, the voltage fluxuated between 4.257V and 4.396V. Not fantastic, especially when you consider that the official USB spec is 4.4V to 5.25V so this was never even in the range. The voltage regulator in this pack is definitely not high quality and you can see that in the very stepped graph in the Google Sheet linked below. It also gets worse as the battery drains towards the end. Note: the digital readout on the battery is pretty useless (last "15%" should have lasted 45min but was instead drained in apx 5min)

Unfortunately I had some trouble with my constant current load so I had to settle for some power resistors. Over the 5 hours of testing, the power draw was between 9.12W and 9.70W averaging at 9.36W so it was pretty consistent. One pleasant surprise: the battery never got hot or even slightly warm to the touch. Same with during charging.

I went back to look at the product page and noticed that while it says "20000mAh", if you look at the details, it also says 64Wh which means those 20kmAh were being measured at the cell level which is only 3.2V. This equates to only 12,800mAh at the 5V the battery should output. Not sure if that counts as false advertising, but it's certainly misleading... then on top of that, with a ~10watt load, I wasn't even able to eek out 47Wh.

So, how good or bad is this thing? Well, if you were expecting a 20,000mAh 5V battery, you'd be pretty disappointed. Actual capacity is under half of your expected 100Wh and I hope whatever devices you connect have good power regulation. But if what you expected was 4 LiFePO4 cells with a usable 3672mAh each for $20 total then you're in luck my friend.

I personally am thinking about buying another one of these and a 4s BMS to make my own 4s2p pack. Only issue is I can't figure out how to take the darned thing apart. I may have to just completely destroy it to get in.

I used a logging multimeter to measure power draw (on 5 sec interval) so if anyone's interested, all the data can be seen here:
Tqka 20000 Battery Testing

I'm on day 3 of my hotspot being on and connected directly to the TKQA battery. Since midnight last night, it was showing 10% left, and its 1pm right now and it still shows 10%. Not sure if the battery isnt calibrated or what, but it seems like the last 10% is lasting the longest. I'll probably end this unscientific test tonight so it doesnt discharge fully. The hotspot being able to stay on for 72 straight hours is good enough for me

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Hi @K-MTG, I'm thinking about putting my B-124 under the center console as well and adding a relay switch to toggle the dashcam on and off, do you have some more pics or instructions on removing the paneling around the center console to get to that bottom area?

Would love this information too! I don't want to lose storage space and finding easy places to hide the b124 battery would be great.

Unfortunately I don't...should have taken more photos! But it is pretty straightforward...just pull the panel from the lower dash area (straight out).

That would be amazing, keep us updated on how that goes. Any luck taking it apart?

Took the battery apart yesterday. It did not yield easily.
The top and bottom have essentially a thick sticker which comes off easy enough. then there are 4 tiny phillips screwps on each. The bottom has a metal plate that comes off after unscrewing them. The top is glued on so even after the screws you need to pry and crack out the electronic module. Up to here only took 5 min and can probably be done without destroying anything.
That left just the metal tube with the 4 cells in it. Unfortunately, they really glued those suckers in there. I tried everything to scrape as much glue off as I could but the glue was pretty deep in the tube. In the end, the only way I could get the cells out was to use a dremel to cut the thing in half.

Got the cells out unharmed, but that was quite a process and not for the faint of heart.

You can avoid the airbags if you take the covers off vs just tucking. The main reason why I routed my rear cam thru the floorboard was to avoid the airbags. I still had to route around the A pillar one, but there are wiring channels under the cover you can use.
@Az_Rael can you give a bit of guidance on how to remove the A-Pillar trim? It's taking more force that I expect and wonder if there's a plastic rivet or something that I'm not expecting in there. Also which direction is force applied? Left or Down?

@Az_Rael can you give a bit of guidance on how to remove the A-Pillar trim? It's taking more force that I expect and wonder if there's a plastic rivet or something that I'm not expecting in there. Also which direction is force applied? Left or Down?

Do you have a set of plastic panel pullers? I have set kinda like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Sunplustra...F8&qid=1530050414&sr=8-14&keywords=panel+tool

I got the A pillar off by running one of the panel tools along the gap at the windshield. That will pop the rivets loose. Force required would be directly away from the pillar. There is a strap in there for the airbag, so it won’t come off completely. I can’t remember if ther were two or three rivets on that one.

Do you have a set of plastic panel pullers? I have set kinda like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Sunplustra...F8&qid=1530050414&sr=8-14&keywords=panel+tool

I got the A pillar off by running one of the panel tools along the gap at the windshield. That will pop the rivets loose. Force required would be directly away from the pillar. There is a strap in there for the airbag, so it won’t come off completely. I can’t remember if ther were two or three rivets on that one.
Thanks! Yes, I have a similar set and I'll give it a try.

Has anyone had issues with windshield glare? I had my 750s installed recently, and unless it's dark outside, the picture that's recorded is essentially white. I've tried to lower the brightness to 1 without any issue. Nighttime or indoors (ie parking garages) has no problem.

Has anyone had issues with windshield glare? I had my 750s installed recently, and unless it's dark outside, the picture that's recorded is essentially white. I've tried to lower the brightness to 1 without any issue. Nighttime or indoors (ie parking garages) has no problem.

It shouldn't be that bad. I have the DR900S and the forward cam has some reflection that's improved with an aftermarket polarizing filter. But even without it, the image is satisfactory and not all white.

Reactions: bollar
It shouldn't be that bad. I have the DR900S and the forward cam has some reflection that's improved with an aftermarket polarizing filter. But even without it, the image is satisfactory and not all white.

Thanks for the response. I was considering a polarizing filter, but considering the amount of glare I seem to be getting, I'm not sure if a polarizing filter would make a difference. Here's a video of the front and the back on the same drive.

Front:

Back:

This car is white, so I'm wondering if that's contributing to the glare. The front windshield does not have any tint on it, but the back has Spectra Photosync 55%. Also, I thoroughly cleaned the front and back of the windshield with glass cleaner and cleaned the front camera lens with a microfiber cloth.

Thanks for the response. I was considering a polarizing filter, but considering the amount of glare I seem to be getting, I'm not sure if a polarizing filter would make a difference. Here's a video of the front and the back on the same drive.

Front:

Back:

This car is white, so I'm wondering if that's contributing to the glare. The front windshield does not have any tint on it, but the back has Spectra Photosync 55%. Also, I thoroughly cleaned the front and back of the windshield with glass cleaner and cleaned the front camera lens with a microfiber cloth.

Something is wrong with your front cam. The video is way overexposed which shouldn't have anything to do with reflections, even with a white hood. You said the brightness is turned all the way down to 1, right? You should contact the store you where bought it and show them those videos. That should be covered under warranty if they can't find a way to correct it in the cam's firmware settings.

I attached a couple of images from my front cam without a polarizing filter installed.

wo-f2.png wo-f.png

(I'm aware the darker screenshot looks like a filter is on, but there really isn't. The difference between the two images are time of day, direction of travel, and internal brightness setting on the cam--much higher in the brighter, much lower in the darker.)

Attachments

• wo-r.png
    wo-r.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
For anyone else interested in the polarizing filters, don't bother with one for the rear BlackVue cam, at least not the one sold by The Dashcam Store. The angle of the windshield and thickness of the filter attachment it forces the rear cam to angle downward more than ideal so a quarter of the view is the rear deck. It also causes the video to have a rainbow effect in the rear windshield most obvious against blue sky.

The combination that works best for me is a polarizing filter in the front and no filter in the rear. I have no tint.

with-r.png

Something is wrong with your front cam. The video is way overexposed which shouldn't have anything to do with reflections, even with a white hood. You said the brightness is turned all the way down to 1, right? You should contact the store you where bought it and show them those videos. That should be covered under warranty if they can't find a way to correct it in the cam's firmware settings.

I attached a couple of images from my cam without a polarizing filter installed. Time of day is different from yours, but I haven't seen anything like your video come out of my cam.

View attachment 313353 View attachment 313354

Thanks for your help. I went ahead and contacted the store after I posted the videos, and the friendly folks at The Dashcam Store told me there was an issue with the initial 1.007 firmware that was released. They asked me to reinstall the new 1.007 (6/14/18) firmware. After I did that, the problem vanished, and the front video looks great!

Thanks for your help. I went ahead and contacted the store after I posted the videos, and the friendly folks at The Dashcam Store told me there was an issue with the initial 1.007 firmware that was released. They asked me to reinstall the new 1.007 (6/14/18) firmware. After I did that, the problem vanished, and the front video looks great!

That's great. Did you e-mail them or call them? I've had nothing but poor experiences with The Dashcam Store's customer service for some reason.