Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day 1 accessories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everybody,

As we are getting closer and closer to the rush of North America deliveries, I'm wondering what are the critical "day 1" accessories everybody is queueing up?

So far I have:
  • Wall charger (to be installed next week)
  • Screen protector
  • Jacking pucks (I'll do my own tire rotation when the time comes)
And I'll soon add to the list a set of weather tech floor mats. Although I'm in the Northeast, I have a 4x4 truck so I'm not going to bother with winter tires.

New York requires a front plate so I'll also be researching any "show and stow" type plate holders, since I don't want to drill the front and/or use any adhesive if possible.

What are the other major things I should have right away?

It will be full-on winter by the time I see the car so I went with:
  • winter wheels/tires/TPMS sensors
  • mud guards
  • paint protection film
  • all weather floor and trunk mats
  • jacking pucks
and will likely follow closely with:
  • center console wrap
  • USB/SSD for dash cam/sentry mode
  • wireless charge pad
  • USB hub

-See if you will need any additional charging adapters for your kit than what is supplied.

-A cargo mat will keep your trunk area dry should it be raining heavily (the rear window is pretty heavily sloped) or covered with snow that you don't get all off before raising the trunk.

-If you plan to charge your phone in your car, I believe you will also need to pick up the type of charging cable from Tesla (angled for you car) for your specific phone (iPhone or Android) to plug into one of the front USB ports located in the front of the console under the dash area.

-stronly suggest at least a 64/128GB (go larger if you can) flash drive unit for your TeslaCam/Sentry Mode video footage. Sure to be winter accidents etc and the video could save you money come claim time if not your fault. Do read up on how to use the TeslaCam/Sentry Mode in the Manual and threads on here ahead of time. Always sad to read of a new owner especially, who hadn't yet set his up but meaning to and someone hit his car.

Apart from mats, I had PPF and ceramic pro installed along with having my center console covered in a vinyl wrap. Helpful to keep the car clean. Pretty much that's all I can think of as top of the list for a new car.

Since new owners in snowy areas are likely to read your thread, thought I'd mention this on regen brake setting from the Manual:

"Warning: In snowy or icy conditions Model 3 may experience traction loss during regenerative braking, particularly when in the Standard setting and/or not using winter tires. Tesla recommends using the Low setting (see To Set the Regenerative Braking Level on page 57) in snowy or icy conditions to help maintain vehicle stability."

My wife was making fun of me because our spare room if full of stuff Ive already bought for the car, floormats, splash guards (3 sets), white armrest cover, 14-50 adapter, 18in lug kit, wireless charger, sentry mem card, key fob, console liners, jack pucks, organizer. I still have alot on my list Im trying hold off on lol.

I even got a salvage foglight to see if I could figure out how to get the foglights to work

My wife was making fun of me because our spare room if full of stuff Ive already bought for the car, floormats, splash guards (3 sets), white armrest cover, 14-50 adapter, 18in lug kit, wireless charger, sentry mem card, key fob, console liners, jack pucks, organizer. I still have alot on my list Im trying hold off on lol.

I even got a salvage foglight to see if I could figure out how to get the foglights to work

Same!
What splash guards did you get?
I can't decide if I want white (on white) or black (on white).

It was originally my husband's idea for me to buy a Tesla, so he has been "backseat buying" with me.
Not only have I bought a bunch of stuff, but he has bought his own toys. I don't mind at all... merry X Mas and all.
But at this point I almost want the car as much for a place to put away my accessories (almost).

Same!
What splash guards did you get?
I can't decide if I want white (on white) or black (on white).

It was originally my husband's idea for me to buy a Tesla, so he has been "backseat buying" with me.
Not only have I bought a bunch of stuff, but he has bought his own toys. I don't mind at all... merry X Mas and all.
But at this point I almost want the car as much for a place to put away my accessories (almost).

So far i have got in a fake carbon fiber set and a black set that is almost twice the size and looks like it protects better. Skipped the painted cause i didn’t think the blue would match

Where did you get the white armrest cover?

3D Maxpider kagu mats are extremely popular all weather. They make a full set of floor mats along with frunk and cargo. Both our cars have these and my Model 3 has the full set. Very happy with them. I bought mine from PartCatalog, and right now it looks like AutoAnything has them on a nice sale (they usually do holiday sales). Assuming you will be needing mats as soon as you get your car during this winter season, make sure they are in stock and I'd recommend ordering mats ahead of your car delivery. In the past these mats have sold out quickly and the restock can be a while (sometimes months for people). There are other vendors out there including Amazon. I have bought from both PC and AA and they are good sources.

Why do you need pucks on day #1? :confused:

What's this for?

pucks id just rather have and not need than need and not have but just added on here to the list of stuff I already ordered

foglight is because on the SR+ not sure if they are still there and software locked or just not there at all but since we can not currently add them Im going to see if I can get them to work somehow. rather destroy a cheap salvage one rather than a new one plus it gives me something to mess around with while waiting on the car.

Things I would recommend are:
  • ToughPRO trunk and floor mats (seem to be also sold as HexOmat), very happy with them a year on. They are heavy, have a clean look, and are good at isolating dirt and spills and keeping things from sliding around in the trunk. They are usually cheaper as a set, and the lowest prices I found were on eBay ($60-90)
  • USB drive for TeslaCam/music. I recommend partitioning so you can have music on the same device without a hub (although it doesn't hurt to get a hub anyway). Samsung 64GB/128GB Fit Plus and Bar Plus are rated for extreme temperatures ($12-20 on Amazon)
  • Lift pucks, I ended up getting the metal ones instead of the repurposed rubber hockey pucks but they weren't expensive ($20-25)
  • Lower force extension spring for the frunk latch, so you can close the frunk one-handed without flexing the hood. I used one with a 1.4mm wire/15mm outer diameter/55mm length ($2)
  • A wrap for that damn glossy black center console ($15-30)
  • Stickers for the door buttons, as it's a million times easier to tell passengers to "push the white button" instead of asking them to locate a black button above the door handle ($3-6)
  • If you have a non-Performance model, metal gas and brake pedals don't wear down like the rubber ones do. It's a very easy swap, I did it on the spot during delivery ($10)
  • A "wind noise reduction kit" (basically 2 rubber loops that fit in the gaps around the roof glass) might not make a huge difference for cabin noise but does keep dirt from accumulating in the gaps ($10-12)
  • Sliding webcam cover for the cabin camera above the rear view mirror ($1-2)
Most of these price references are for eBay/AliExpress.

Last edited:
I rented a m3p off turo that had the maxpider 3d mats..I liked them so I ordered some for my car. They have been sitting in the garage since september waiting for a car to go in :(
also bought a SSD and center console wrap