Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dc combo for USA port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is really neat, and I hope this spurs Tesla to make an official one. But, I for one, am not risking it. That's too many kW to entrust some unknown 3rd party to safely engineer. Especially in L3 charging, where voltage needs to be managed and other safety protocols need to be observed.

It's one thing to use a 3rd party UMC adapter. In that case, one can be comforted that the safety features of the UMC and onboard charger are intact. In this case, the majority of the built-in L2 charging safeguards are bypassed, and there's a much greater reliance on the adapter properly translating the signaling between the car and the station.

Hi I am the owner of Tesla Model X in Korea. Finally, we succeded in developing a dc combo adapter. The maximum speed is about 80~120kw, and since it is still in the sample stage, the speed was about 61kw.
If you have any question please comment

Wow, that's awesome! Thank you for sharing! I have a few questions, if you don't mind:
  • Who is building this CCS combo 1 adapter?
  • Is it Tesla approved, or are you doing this independently?
  • When will you offer it for sale?
  • Are there any limitations on what Tesla vehicle it can work with? Does it use the Tesla charger protocol, or CCS protocol, when communicating with the vehicle?
Thank you!

Reactions: Xebec and kayak1
The EU CCS adapter requires a hardware retrofit for it to work. However the adapter is quite small.

This 3P CCS adapter might include the essential hardware inside it which would explain the size difference.

+1 for purchase interest.

Mainly interested to hear if they had to convert to CCS talk or the car natively understood CCS. However based on the size of the thing and the previous passive adapters seen for US->EU I think there's some electronic stuff going on there, especially since they're using it on a model x.

Given that the passive adapters work up to ~120kW or so I wonder if they put in the data/signal to cap the power, even if the car itself says I can go much higher. They would probably need to do this to prevent a 350kW charger from overloading for a model 3, which can get close to ~190kW.

And this is out there, but I wonder if they could make a CCS2 variant as special order for imported cars into Europe from US. (Niche market though so unlikely).

Reactions: Aphinity and ZeusF1
Mainly interested to hear if they had to convert to CCS talk or the car natively understood CCS. However based on the size of the thing and the previous passive adapters seen for US->EU I think there's some electronic stuff going on there, especially since they're using it on a model x.

Given that the passive adapters work up to ~120kW or so I wonder if they put in the data/signal to cap the power, even if the car itself says I can go much higher. They would probably need to do this to prevent a 350kW charger from overloading for a model 3, which can get close to ~190kW.

And this is out there, but I wonder if they could make a CCS2 variant as special order for imported cars into Europe from US. (Niche market though so unlikely).
If this product comes to fruition... you could always get a CCS2 to CCS1 adapter. European to US CCS Combo 2 to CCS Combo 1 EV Quick Charger Adapter – EVSE Adapters

Good news! That adapter is on sale for $877. Yikes.

• Funny
Reactions: Aphinity and kayak1
Just saw this post on the FaceBook Model 3 forum:

Welcome from Korea! Do you know anything about the CCS1 to Tesla charging adapter coming from your country? A few days ago there were photos posted on another forum, and a lot of people in North America are excited about it!

• You mean this? Yes, i'm aware of the development. The actual building of it is done in China, and is being funded by an on-line forum group in Korea. As of now he's been able to successfully charge the S and the X but not the 3. He's currently on the 2nd/3rd sample units, and so far max speed achieved has been 77kWh on the S & X. (Theoretically it should be able to reach around 120kWh but it's more important to get compatibility of all the different modems used on various chargers) Engineers on it have also determined that in order for them to implement Model 3 compatibility will require additional H/W. Currently awaiting sample #4 to test. With chademos being slowly replaced by CCS, Tesla should be doing the developing but since they have no plans... brave souls here have put up $150K of their own money to do it.

Just saw this post on the FaceBook Model 3 forum:

Welcome from Korea! Do you know anything about the CCS1 to Tesla charging adapter coming from your country? A few days ago there were photos posted on another forum, and a lot of people in North America are excited about it!

• You mean this? Yes, i'm aware of the development. The actual building of it is done in China, and is being funded by an on-line forum group in Korea. As of now he's been able to successfully charge the S and the X but not the 3. He's currently on the 2nd/3rd sample units, and so far max speed achieved has been 77kWh on the S & X. (Theoretically it should be able to reach around 120kWh but it's more important to get compatibility of all the different modems used on various chargers) Engineers on it have also determined that in order for them to implement Model 3 compatibility will require additional H/W. Currently awaiting sample #4 to test. With chademos being slowly replaced by CCS, Tesla should be doing the developing but since they have no plans... brave souls here have put up $150K of their own money to do it.

I am really interested in the project but now that I see examples I am somewhat worried about the strain this is going to put on the charging 'port'...

He's currently on the 2nd/3rd sample units, and so far max speed achieved has been 77kWh on the S & X. (Theoretically it should be able to reach around 120kWh but it's more important to get compatibility of all the different modems used on various chargers) Engineers on it have also determined that in order for them to implement Model 3 compatibility will require additional H/W. C
Would be nice if they got their units right. Charging speed is measured in kW, not kWh.
50kW is painfully slow when you are used to supercharger speeds so ideally they skip the chademo adapter.
Sure, but it beats most public J1772 charging, which is usually only 30 amps max, so charging rates are usually just 6 to 7.2 kW, and on the lower end if the supply voltage is 208 volts (common for US commercial power).

I've personally encountered few J1772 public sites that are 240 volts. Most are 208.

Would be nice if they got their units right. Charging speed is measured in kW, not kWh.

I'd like to point out that it was the person who reported about the adapter that used those units, not the people making the adapter. (And on top of that it looked like it was copy and pasted from FB). If the makers couldn't actually get units right I don't think they would have gotten as far as they've have so far.

50kW is painfully slow when you are used to supercharger speeds so ideally they skip the chademo adapter.
In the 3 SR+ you taper to 60kW pretty quickly, especially in cooler weather. If it's otherwise a 15+ minute round trip detour to a supercharger, even the lowly chademo adapter is quite competitive. If this CCS adapter can manage >75kW and Tesla gives it the green light (or at a bare minimum promises not to brick it with a software update), I am all over it.

In the 3 SR+ you taper to 60kW pretty quickly, especially in cooler weather. If it's otherwise a 15+ minute round trip detour to a supercharger, even the lowly chademo adapter is quite competitive. If this CCS adapter can manage >75kW and Tesla gives it the green light (or at a bare minimum promises not to brick it with a software update), I am all over it.

Understandable, i was just commenting on there is no point in limiting it by using the chademo adapter as a combo deal which was what was proposed.

Reactions: im.thatoneguy
Don't forget about busy days when the supercharger has a 5+ car line... if there's a competitively priced CHAdeMO nearby I'll head there (Webasto network I'm looking at you). But it would be a lame bottleneck for a CCS adapter.

Speaking of limiting speeds.... I'd love if I could set a top charging speed in a CCS Adapter. Look at what EA charges for CCS Charging:
1 - 350 kW $0.99 / min. As low as 16.9c/kW
1 - 125 kW. $0.69 / min. As low as 33c/kW
1 - 75 kW $0.25 / min. As low as 20c/kW
And, I believe, you get binned to the charge speed at the beginning of the charge. So, if your car started out accepting 76 kW, but dropped to 75kW, you would still be paying $0.69 a minute.
I would accept the longer charge time of a 75kW max charge in exchange for a cheaper charge.
PS: I assume the pricing doesn't scale linearly because no vehicle can sustain a 350kW charge rate for long. 16.9c/kw sounds great, but even if a CCS adapter could do full speeds, a Tesla has only been seen charging up to 200kW CCS I think. That means it would be as low as 29.7c/kW, but as soon as the charge rate dropped your per kw cost would skyrocket.

Last edited: