Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Elon: How about a capital raise to pay down the DOE loan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Elon were to do this, he would wait until the last mystery announcement. They have been "goosing" the stock higher and I suspect the final "demostration" will be a game changer. If that is true, the stock will jump again and that could be the timing he's waiting for. The 5 part series seems to have shown a better "announcement" each time. I fully expect the last two to be the most exciting. People keep shorting the stock as it goes higher, what if Elon is setting them up???

I think they won't do it, precisely because now is a good time to do it.

The problem is image to consumers. In order to sustain sales, Tesla has to appear to be stable long term and issuing new shares could affect consumer confidence, especially in a marketplace full of shorts and politicians actively campaigning for Tesla's failure. Tesla can't afford a drop in confidence in the marketplace. I don't think the large investors would like to have to pick up the pieces right now.

I'm not following. What won't they do? What image problem does that present?

The problem I see is with the type of investors you get if you do a raise. Increaing float usually means it is harder to move up or down. If 100% of TSLA shares is out there for trading right now, we wouldn't be seeing the short squeeze.

Since Elon seems to be a very investor friendly person, I would recommend creating incentives for holding the stock long term like Berkshire Hathaway did. It'd mean less trigger happy people. I am seeing an influx of new investors in many different forums who bought options based on luvb2b and capital's analysis. Yet they have no idea what these things do. They had an overnight success based on other people's effort and will probably suffer due to overconfidence soon. Not to mention, they are very fickle when things go sour.

One incentive is for those who hold through certain years to receive perks. Something that is not obtainable by any other means will create value. I'd like to get a piece of the early prototype battery to show my friends. Some failed crash test piece. Any part that means history of TSLA. It allow us to spread the doctrine of TSLA while at the same time stabilizing stock prices.

Making the annual shareholder event a big conference wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Since elon said on the conference call that they "haven't even had discussions" about raising capital, I would be shocked if he turned around and started having the talks right after the call. I think the conference call has bought us another quarter of no secondary being issued. Elon doesn't appear to be the type of person to imply one thing and do another... He's trying to build confidence.

On the other hand, if they issue a secondary, I'm buying hard on that dilution.

A man has to know his limitations. Now I know why I never went public with my ventures :)

I can relate to that. Went public with one of several ventures. Too much for me and happy to come to terms with that limitation resulting in proper respect for those beyond my abilities, many of which don't apply themselves at all, unlike Elon and co who both possess and apply skills beyond my reach. But I will support them with my capital. Long TSLA

seriously elon, please consider my suggestion. the stock is up 50% from the point at which you said you had no thoughts about an offering and that you might be opportunistic. the market has given a fabulous window to raise cash at minimal dilution to existing holders.

I would wait until the after the remainder of these Muskesque announcements. And at that point, raise a small amount...5-10 million shares around $80-$100 isn't going to bother anyone on the planet. On top of it, he would lock the shares up (restrict sales of the shares) for at least 6 months. It'd be hard to argue against a debt free Tesla. Also, think of the marketing strategy of Tesla paying off the government early, with interest, and being able to expand faster than planned. I don't care what your political view is, but fiscal conservatives would be highly impressed. And finally, we wouldn't have to hear about stock dilution ever again.

seriously elon, please consider my suggestion. the stock is up 50% from the point at which you said you had no thoughts about an offering and that you might be opportunistic. the market has given a fabulous window to raise cash at minimal dilution to existing holders.

I think this is happening this week. Moved the Super Charger announcement and having "something else" this week. Now's the time. I wouldn't be shocked to see the stock go higher on this dilution as it ensures to a far higher degree the success of the company as you've pointed out.

I think this is happening this week. Moved the Super Charger announcement and having "something else" this week. Now's the time. I wouldn't be shocked to see the stock go higher on this dilution as it ensures to a far higher degree the success of the company as you've pointed out.

I really doubt he would have tweeted ahead of a offering. Also, I'm not sure they've had enough time to organize one if they weren't even talking about it before.

I agree with the sentiment, but am not convinced right now is the time. I took a quick look at the new Morgan Stanley research, and its a ton better than the last note, which contained absurd, systematic errors. This report will be a roadmap for the rest of the analysts on Wall Street, so a lot of the bad information that has been floating around is about to be cleared up.

Once you clear the FUD away from the market, you are left with the reality that the Model S is an engineering masterpiece that has massive cost and performance advantages over ICE. And it is also blessed with regulatory advantages that have been being built up over years in order to force traditional automakers into exactly this kind of innovation.

When the traditional companies failed to react to either the technological changes which allow a Model S class vehicle, or the regulatory pressures to encourage them to make the switch, the market responded with a company dedicated to the task, which is better positioned to take advantage of both waves than any of its competition.

In the short term, I don't know where Mr. Toads Wild Ride will end. But in the very near future the market will for the first time be able to understand what the actual future earnings of this company are. Once that analysis works through the system the share price is going to find solid levels of support at an elevated level (if lower than now, not by much is my bet).

THAT is when you want to start thinking about issuing new shares.

Dear Elon.
There's a secondary beneficial impact of doing a capital raise: increased liquidity. Right now there are only about 60 million shares of Tesla that are available for investors. The rest are held by yourself, Fidelity, Daimler, Panasonic, and Toyota. Increasing the number of stakeholders will increase your chances of being included in the S&P 500 index and increase the number of Tesla supporters. Both of these are beneficial outcomes for existing shareholders.

Anyone else alarmed at the volume that was traded today. 37M shares. That is a lot of churn, over 50% of the float in a day. I miss the days of the slow grind higher on 2M-3M shares traded.

Anyone else alarmed at the volume that was traded today. 37M shares. That is a lot of churn, over 50% of the float in a day. I miss the days of the slow grind higher on 2M-3M shares traded.

Volatility attracts the day trading algorithms. I wouldn't read much into it. Remember, most of the people we are trading with are nothing at all like you and I, and many (if not most) of them aren't people at all.

If the financing and servicing announcements along with the Consumer Reports accolades have inspired a deluge of orders, then by all means a subsequent offering of shares is needed to ramp up production and meet demand in such a timely fashion that it induces even more orders. I suspect that the market and analysts would react quite positively to the reasoning behind the move and ignore the effect of dilution.

After Hours trading seems to like this. Above $90 now.

- - - Updated - - -

Just came out, the offering itself it seems: (The previous SEC filing was a more generic registration)

Tesla Motors Announces Offerings of Common Stock and Convertible Senior Notes

Elon Musk to Lead Common Stock Offering; Tesla Intends to Pay Off Department of Energy Loan With Interest

PALO ALTO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 05/15/13 -- Tesla Motors, Inc. (NASDAQ: TSLA) announced today offerings of 2,703,027 shares of common stock and $450 million aggregate principal amount of convertible senior notes due 2018 in concurrent underwritten registered public offerings. In addition, Tesla has granted the underwriters a 30-day option to purchase up to an additional 405,454 shares of common stock and $67.5 million in aggregate principal amount of the notes.

In addition, Elon Musk, Tesla's chief executive officer and cofounder, intends to purchase shares of common stock at the same public offering price for an aggregate purchase price of $100 million. Of this amount, approximately $45 million would be purchased in the common stock offering, and approximately $55 million would be purchased directly from Tesla in a subsequent private placement due to the waiting period requirements of the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act.

The aggregate gross proceeds of the offerings, including the options granted to the underwriters, and the private placement is expected to be approximately $830 million. Tesla intends to use the net proceeds from the offerings to prepay Tesla's outstanding loan from the United States Department of Energy, pay the cost of convertible note hedge transactions and for general corporate purposes.

The notes will be convertible into cash and, if applicable, shares of Tesla's common stock. The interest rate, conversion price and other terms of the notes are to be determined.

In connection with the offering of the notes, Tesla intends to enter into convertible note hedge transactions and warrant transactions which are generally expected to prevent dilution up to 100% over the offering stock price. In connection with establishing their initial hedge of the convertible note hedge and warrant transactions, the hedge counterparties or their affiliates expect to enter into various derivative transactions with respect to our common stock concurrently with or shortly after the pricing of the notes, including with certain investors in the notes.

Goldman, Sachs & Co. is acting as sole book-running manager for the offering of common stock. Goldman, Sachs & Co., Morgan Stanley and J.P. Morgan are acting as joint book-running managers for the notes offering.

An effective registration statement relating to the securities was filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on May 15, 2013. The offering of these securities will be made only by means of prospectus supplements and the accompanying prospectus. Copies of the final prospectus supplements and accompanying prospectus may be obtained from Goldman, Sachs & Co., via telephone: (866) 471-2526; facsimile: (212) 902-9316; email: [email protected]; or standard mail at Goldman, Sachs & Co., Attn: Prospectus Department, 200 West Street, New York, NY 10282-2198; from Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC, Attn: Prospectus Department, 180 Varick Street, Second Floor, New York, NY 10014, or by telephone at (866) 718-1649 or email: [email protected]; or from J.P. Morgan Securities LLC, via telephone: (866) 803-9204; or standard mail at c/o Broadridge Financial Solutions, 1155 Long Island Avenue, Edgewood, NY 11717.

This press release shall not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy, nor shall there be any sale of these securities in any jurisdiction in which such an offer, solicitation or sale would be unlawful prior to the registration or qualification under the securities laws of any such jurisdiction. The securities being offered have not been approved or disapproved by any regulatory authority, nor has any such authority passed upon the accuracy or adequacy of the registration statement, the prospectus contained therein or the prospectus supplements.

ABOUT TESLA

Tesla Motors' (NASDAQ: TSLA) goal is to accelerate the world's transition to electric mobility with a full range of increasingly affordable electric cars. California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs, as well as EV powertrain components for partners such as Toyota and Daimler. Tesla has delivered almost 10,000 electric vehicles to customers in 31 countries.

Forward-Looking Statement
Certain statements in this press release, including statements regarding the proposed public offering of common stock and notes, the convertible note hedge and warrant transactions and the private placement, are "forward-looking statements" that are subject to risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements are based on management's current expectations, and as a result of certain risks and uncertainties, actual events or results may differ materially from those contained in the forward-looking statements. Please refer to the registration statement on Form S-3 filed by Tesla today with the SEC and the prospectus and prospectus supplements included or incorporated by reference therein, as well as the other documents Tesla files on a consolidated basis from time to time with the SEC, specifically Tesla's most recent Form 10-K and Form 10-Q. These documents contain and identify important factors that could cause the actual results for Tesla on a consolidated basis to differ materially from those contained in Tesla's forward-looking statements. Although Tesla believes that the expectations reflected in the forward-looking statements are reasonable, Tesla cannot guarantee future results, levels of activity, performance or achievements. Tesla disclaims any obligation to update information contained in these forward-looking statements after the date of this press release to conform to actual results.

Investor Relations Contact:
Jeff Evanson
Tesla Motors
Email Contact

Press Contact:
Sarah Meron
Tesla Motors
Email Contact

Source: Tesla Motors, Inc.