Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Debating whether to buy a Key Fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought one and use it almost every day. My phone does not work 100% of the time with my car, whereas my fob has always worked. Was it worth the $$$? I'd say yes, but if it were only priced at $ then I'd buy a couple of more.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
My Samsung Android phone doesn't work reliably as key. I have a card in my work lanyard and use that on work days. I also bought a fob and sometimes carry that in my pocket. My girlfriend and I joke about the fob, because absent the phone, the fob is the only easy way I can unlock the car and open the passenger door for her without going to the driver's side with the card and then back over to her side.

So in my case the key fob "keeps chivalry alive".... :)

• Love
Reactions: SMAlset
Anyone here regret getting theirs/ not using it?

There were quite a few issues with the phone as a key in its early versions. They didn't say it was beta but to me, it's really beta to work out all the kinks.

So at that time, people were asking a FOB just like how the S and X have. There's no settings to program, no need to turn on a blue-tooth, no need to make sure to find the option to let the app alive even when the phone is sleeping...

But by the time Model 3 FOB came out, they have ironed out most if not all the issues from the app.

The problem with Model 3 FOB is: It does not have the passive entry function while the ones for S and X do and the Model 3 cell app does.

S and X owners don't have to take their FOBs out of their purse or pocket. It just works by sensing the proximity of the FOB.

You can now achieve the same with Model 3 cell app. It just works by sensing the proximity of your cell phone app.

Without using cell-as-a-key or the card-key, Model 3 owners need to take the FOB out and push on it because it's lacking the passive entry function.

So, Model 3 FOB is very good for:

1) those who don't like cell phones.
2) those who don't mind the lack of passive entry function

By the way, there was a time that my hands were in pain because of repetitive work and I could not even push the button on a FOB. Fortunately, I was using Model S FOB so I didn't have to push on it. So Model 3 FOB would be bad for me at that time.

But by the time Model 3 FOB came out, they have ironed out most if not all the issues from the app.

I wish that was true.
I got my TM3P in March'19 (210+K VIN), and the car still demands the key card to unlock itself at least once every other week.
You still can't afford to leave home without the card, without risking being randomly locked out.

The problem with Model 3 FOB is: It does not have the passive entry function while the ones for S and X do and the Model 3 cell app does.
[...]Without using cell-as-a-key or the card-key, Model 3 owners need to take the FOB out and push on it because it's lacking the passive entry function.

Therein lies the major limitation of Model 3 key fob - you have to fumble around in your pocket to use it.
Every other Tesla remote senses key fob's presence and passively unlocks itself. As does every other luxury car brand. Not Model 3.
Sadly.

So, Model 3 FOB is very good for:
1) those who don't like cell phones.
2) those who don't mind the lack of passive entry function

I would add:
3). those who need a backup for the cell phone other than the key card, for any reason.

a

• Informative
Thx all for the detailed replies. SR Delivery is this weekend. Will try out phone/S3 watch.

Not a big fan of the valet card during my test drives.

Maybe I can buy a used one here? S/Generic Fobs can't be programmed right??

If your phone key doesn't work well and it's a few years old, you may be better off spending the money on a new phone than the key fob. I used to use a Nexus 6 and it was horrible as a phone key (worked less than 25% of the time). Now I use a OnePlus 6t and it works 97% of the time for unlock and 100% of the time for walk away lock. The 3% of the time it doesn't work for unlocking is always when I'm at home. The phone/app sometimes acts up when I'm hanging around immediately outside the car for more than 1/2 hour (cleaning windows, washing car, etc.) before I try to unlock the car.

It's been quite good for my Samsung S9+. I would say it's been very reliable by the time the FOB came out.

I would like to say it has worked 100% if:

I make sure that:

1) Blue-tooth on
2) correct vehicle on the cell app, and not others.

Those 2 alone is a hassle for me so I still long for the ones like the S and X with passive entry that I don't need to remember any settings at all.

So, actually, I've been talking about my phone, not other brands and models.

We have a 3 and the phone works for the primary driver 99% of the time. She and I both have iPhone Xs’ but mine only works like 10% of the time. When I reach for the handle and it opens I’m usually surprised because it almost never works. If I take my iPhone out of my pocket, launch the Tesla app and switch to her car (I drive an S) then it works, but what a pain. Yes I’ve tried leaving the app on her car and it made no difference. I bought the fob recently to have and also I think it would be easier when you have to give the valet a key rather than a card key.

Um.... depends, if you have a black model 3, then buy it. The coolness factor of being a tiny version of the real thing is worth it. Also, consider buying it if you don’t have a tesla, then you can pretend you do when people see it on your keychain.

• Funny
IPhone 7+ works good for me.
IMG_6526.jpeg

When I first got my Model 3 (13 months ago) I had an iPhone 7 and it worked on the first try only about 75% of the time, the second try 90% of the time. There were a couple of times it just wouldn't work and I had to resort to getting the card key out of my wallet. Since I moved to an iPhone 8 about 6 months ago I haven't had to resort to using the card key once. I probably would have got a key fob as a quick spare or when someone is borrowing the car, but without passive entry it just didn't seem work the cost over just using a card key. Maybe if it was $50 rather than $150.

What I really want is a smaller card key - instead of credit card size be like how some of my frequent shopper cards used to be (like 1/4 the size) since I've really tried to minimized my wallet the past few years. I was going to play around with trying to make one of my own, but haven't gotten around to it.

If it had passive entry it'd be worthwhile... it doesn't though so if you already have to take something out of your pocket, make it the phone, which for some folks already works passive 100% of the time, and even if you have a less reliable phone still will work passive more often than the 0% of the time the fob does.

Thx all for the detailed replies. SR Delivery is this weekend. Will try out phone/S3 watch.

The watch interface app is a cute little... novelty, but cumbersome to use, i.e., you have to turn the watch on, flip of the wrist, then scroll to the app, open the app, then it wakens your car, then you have to swipe the face of the watch to get to the app to do what you need to do on the car. As some already suggested, the phone (assuming it's a newer model) is your best bet.