Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decided to cancel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Day One online (first 24h) here. I have not been invited. First delivery was listed as Nov-Jan, second delivery Feb-Apr, third delivery May-July. Unless something bizarre occurs the next delivery target will be Aug-Oct. Then back to Nov-Jan again. This for an Invite.

If I wanted a car that wasn't 3LR PUP, I imagine the wait will be much longer.

I'll cancel if the Jaguar iPace becomes available first, or GM does something interesting for 2019.

It is frustrating having zero truthful information about the Model 3 except the features and price on the 3LR. No scheduling, no real options, no accurate info on non-PUP, AWD, or Performance variants. At least nothing written in stone.

I did get a chuckle out the $35k speech. But I got suckered into thinking that the actual price will blow through the queue far faster than it did. If I was told $50k to start and 'late 2018' at POS, I would have bought something fun while waiting, maybe a used Model S or Roadster. The carrot on a stick crap is a crappy way to sell $60-80k cars.

Now the non-whining part:

If the environment is so critical then why:
  • People who drive to stores, sometimes long distances get first place in delivery queues when it can be done on-line.
  • Title transfers allowed scalping, hence making less wealthy ICE drivers wait longer for EV cars.
  • People with EVs get first deliveries, not people driving Hummers.
  • Accurate timetables would have had more people driving EVs while waiting.

I'm amazed that you haven't been invited. I'm sure you know that the invites don't always get emailed, and you've checked the actual account. But, I also know lots of people like myself have deferred until the AWD version becomes available.

I'm completely against the way they handled the release. They should have started with the AWD LR version, and then worked their way down. But, they should have been clear about where they outlined the reasons why, etc.

Of it being the best way to remain profitable, and in business while also not cannibalizing sales of the Model S. Or causing too big of an immediate depreciation hit.

There should not have been prioritization of existing owners. All it really did was give people who already took advantage of the tax credit once the chance to do it again. The Model 3 is priced with the expectation that the tax credit will disappear so prioritize people based on when they reserved, and don't play any silly games with it.

Tesla claimed that it was to reward existing owners, but was it really? It seems to me that it was an useful tool to force new buyers into getting a more expensive Model S instead. The existing owners already had one, and weren't likely to get the same thing so soon after buying it.

To an average person the way Tesla handled it was classic bait and switch.

Where everyone's excuse was "that's just Elon overpromising again, and that wasn't purposeful".

At some point it starts to really look purposeful.

I'm amazed that you haven't been invited. I'm sure you know that the invites don't always get emailed, and you've checked the actual account. But, I also know lots of people like myself have deferred until the AWD version becomes available.

I'm completely against the way they handled the release. They should have started with the AWD LR version, and then worked their way down. But, they should have been clear about where they outlined the reasons why, etc.

Of it being the best way to remain profitable, and in business while also not cannibalizing sales of the Model S. Or causing too big of an immediate depreciation hit.

There should not have been prioritization of existing owners. All it really did was give people who already took advantage of the tax credit once the chance to do it again. The Model 3 is priced with the expectation that the tax credit will disappear so prioritize people based on when they reserved, and don't play any silly games with it.

Tesla claimed that it was to reward existing owners, but was it really? It seems to me that it was an useful tool to force new buyers into getting a more expensive Model S instead. The existing owners already had one, and weren't likely to get the same thing so soon after buying it.

To an average person the way Tesla handled it was classic bait and switch.

Where everyone's excuse was "that's just Elon overpromising again, and that wasn't purposeful".

At some point it starts to really look purposeful.

Yeah, I checked off the box for LR version the minute the site came up, knowing those will be the first deliveries, and check it daily.

And I agree the most expensive variant should have been the first sold.

I think I'd be racing a Model 3 this weekend if they did that. Especially if they announced, 'The high trim Model 3 will be the first units sold. Then when we get the volume up, we will move down until we reach the $35,000 model.' Sure there would fewer reservations, but right now there are >400,000 reservations that are completely pointless. They can't make the cars yet. If there were only 50,000 reservations unserviced today, would that actually change anything signficantly?

Reactions: N5329K
Not all line waiters will act.

There is a chance base model cars will be available in Q4.

Even if they aren't, the half tax credit will definitely be available in Q1 as noted.

$1000 even aggressively invested doesn't provide much over 6-9 months.

There would have been little harm in keeping the deposit in place in order to have the option of being (relatively) first for the base model car.

That said, the better *value* at that time will be an off-lease AP1 Model S with included supercharging and much of the depreciation baked in. People tend to forget TCO (total cost of ownership) with in particular the Model 3 and even more in particular if the owner is non-garaged. And even MORE in particular if that owner is in California paying $0.26/kW.

Because you won't get close to rated range for short, urban trips. Therefore, with "fuel" economy in the 25mpg range and therefore no savings whatsoever there versus most efficient cars, TCO will add up.

Good luck to the OP

Agree with OP. Since he does not need or want a new car right now, buying any car would not be high on his list to spend money on. A currently configured Model 3 is a great value, but not a screeming deal that would make someone buy one, even if he did not want or need one.

A base Model at $35,000 - $10,000 in rebates and tax credits would be a screeming deal for such a cool car. What else could you buy for $25,000 that would even come close to its performance and range.

Someone offering you to buy a $10 bill for $5.00 would make someone do it even if they did not need a $10 bill.
If they offered you $10 for two $5.00 bills you would not go out of your way to make it happen.

Tesla made an interesting gamble when they calculated they'd make more money selling fully optioned cars first and loosing some SR buyers, than they'd make selling the SR version out of the gate and not losing as many buyers. Who knows how many like OP are doing the same?

From a purely financial perspective you made a serious error in judgement.

What you didn't realize was the opportunity you had.

Lots of people were waiting out for the AWD including myself. I'm only now just finding out that I probably won't be able to order the AWD version for maybe 6+ months.

I didn't reserve way ahead of time since I didn't really need to. I have a Model S, and we were getting priority. But, we're not given priority on the AWD version for some unknown reason.

I know I'm not the only one so there is like a considerable amount of people (more so than the RWD only one) that might be in an ideal position to buy your car/reservation from you. At the very least your car would have extremely low depreciation for at least 6+ months.

Hardly a serious error in judgement. In fact it was quite well thought out. I have no interest in selling my car/reservation for a couple of bucks...my time is far more valuable and financially, I am not in need.

With imminent models such as Volvo Polestar Model 2, BMW's newly announced i4, Mercedes EQ, and alternative vehicle bodies on the Chevy Bolt platform.......
.... the overweight body design revealed by Munro and Associates

Good luck waiting for any other decent EV's. I'll believe it when they start cranking out 3500 per week.
BTW, Tesla's, or Elon's, response to Munro criticism was that they were evidently unaware of the governments new partial front impact tests that the Model 3 was designed to ace. Just because they couldn't explain why Tesla included those extra panels doesn't make it a bad design.
I just can't believe how many people have waited 2+ years, and now, with the goal in sight, are calling it quits.

• Disagree
Reactions: kablammyman
Good luck waiting for any other decent EV's. I'll believe it when they start cranking out 3500 per week.
BTW, Tesla's, or Elon's, response to Munro criticism was that they were evidently unaware of the governments new partial front impact tests that the Model 3 was designed to ace. Just because they couldn't explain why Tesla included those extra panels doesn't make it a bad design.
I just can't believe how many people have waited 2+ years, and now, with the goal in sight, are calling it quits.

Elon's response, if that is what he said, is nonsensical. The new FMVSS requirement was promulgated quite a while ago before taking effect. Everyone in this industry (where I also work) has known and understood the measures needed to be taken. The analysis demonstrated the different (and less efficient) manner in which Tesla met the task, as compared to others who also met the task very effectively. The "goal" that was coming into sight revealed itself to be underdeveloped, undertested, and not ready for volume production. Canceling and getting the deposit returned was the prudent course of action, IMHO.

Last edited:

The goal was in sight in July. We watched cars delivered.

Now here's the big question.

Let's say Friday, June 1st, 2018, I get the email. And it tells me 3-6 months for the Model P3D. That 3-6 months has no meaning in the real world. Nov 2017-Jan 2018 became June 1, 2018. This is over double the wait if measured from July. So the 3-6 months is more likely >6-12 months, but...

There is not an upper limit. Once you give your deposit, you must wait indefinitely or surrender $3500 for being naive.

Now say I want to play it safe, and just click immediately GIMME QUICKEST CONFIG.

That changes nothing as far as risk goes. You still have no guarantees. And you have no refund options.

Or I decide to just wait years if necessary and go for the $36k version. NOW things change. If they don't actually manufacture them, they must return the deposit.

It's all backassward. If they would have already moved my invite date forward again (for a 3rd time), I would have more faith, since I know somebody in their accounting department owns a calculator. Right now, there is nothing that points in that direction. Either they have no idea how many reservations they have and on which dates, or they have no idea how many cars they are likely to actually make, or they DO KNOW they can't make their deadline again and decide it's cool to just lie about it. It's one of the three.

Reactions: N5329K
Hardly a serious error in judgement.

Depends on how one defines serious error.

You gave Tesla an interest free loan for over 2 years with nothing to show for it.
You under valued the importance of range in your value proposition. That it's likely the best value proposition in EV's today (range+speed versus cost), and especially the AWD one (with the additional quickness, and motor redundancy).
You say you'll continue to follow the forum to stay up to date with the evolution of the Tesla revolution, but you won't actually dip your toes into it. Spending your time reading about other peoples experiences isn't the same thing.

Sure I get that it's hard to really know when to dip your toes into something. You're entirely correct that EAP, and FSD need time to mature. In fact they might require different hardware to get right. I also get that sometimes it's best to wait especially with a new car. Obviously the Model 3's made today are better than the initial ones off the production line.

But, I fail to see any justification in closing the door especially when the money itself was immaterial to you.

I could totally understand if you had something better to do. If you wanted a Bolt or a Jaguar I-Pace.

Or if you were sick of the bait and switch feel to Tesla these days. If you were totally pissed at Tesla I could get slamming the door.

But, it's like you obsessed about something that didn't need to be obsessed about.

Now the door is closed, and you're out there in the cold. There could be an EAP release tomorrow with some cool feature you'd like, and there won't be jack you can do.

Sure you might not like my comment, but you somehow found your cancelation so worthy to be worth telling us all about it. I think we all understand that pulling the trigger on a major purchase is hard. I've heard that humans usually make decisions first and then justify them with the most rational decisions they can AFTER. We just like to think we had sound reasoning for whatever we chose to do.

Reactions: GonzaloAR and TT97
Im close to cancelling. Really need the utility of a SUV or at the very least a liftback. The Model3 is so compelling I talked myself into overlooking some of the aspects I really need in a car.

In a way it’s a shame that Tesla was so successful with the S and X as I’m betting it would probably be more handy to have the tax credits selling 35k cars than it would be selling 100k cars.

Im close to cancelling. Really need the utility of a SUV or at the very least a liftback. The Model3 is so compelling I talked myself into overlooking some of the aspects I really need in a car.

In a way it’s a shame that Tesla was so successful with the S and X as I’m betting it would probably be more handy to have the tax credits selling 35k cars than it would be selling 100k cars.
Now having a 3 we are impressed with what we can fit in it. It really has quite a bit of space inside.

Reactions: Msjulie
Now having a 3 we are impressed with what we can fit in it. It really has quite a bit of space inside.

Probably the space itself isn’t an issue, it’s just accessing it. We have a double pram that we need to get in and out. I should try one out, but I moved from a Camry to a SUV and it’s going to be very hard to go back.

But still worth trying it out in person.

My wife has been driving an SUV for quite a while now. She won't touch the M3.

I can understand that. The egress/ingress and riding comfort of a crossover SUV is unmatched by any car and especially by the low riding M3. The latest 2018 Leaf is fantastic. It rides high, and you would almost pass it off as a small SUV wannabe.